Why become a member? ×

Everlasting Leads

Dodfather

I was in a band practice the other week when it suddenly dawned on me that I've only ever bought two jack leads. :huh:

I got them about 9 years ago and they've both been absolutley flawless. They've seen some really pretty heavy usage as well as I studied music for 5 years so was practicing a lot for that on top of band work and recording. They're both made by Planet Waves.

Every one else I know has had fairly regular problems with their leads and couldn't believe it when I mentioned how long mine had lasted. So, has anyone on here had such a long life from a lead before or have I just been incredibly lucky?

I have a Klotz cable I bought in 1995 which has done many hundreds of gigs and rehearsals and is still fine, though a bit grubby looking. Come to think of it, I've only had one cable fail so far, a Warwick RockCable where the plastic insulator between the tip and ring cracked and broke, causing it to short out. I have lost a silly number of cables though!

i bought quite a few klotz cables back in 97-98, and at least one of them is still going strong, possibly 2, the others i've either lost/had stolen or were broken due to my hamfistedness (shutting them in my cable box and severing the cable is my favorite method but accidentally burning through then with a soldering iron works too!) but any that have been damaged have had neutrik plugs put on and gone straight back into use, as they get shorter they get cut up for patch leads. a friend of mine uses then too and bought his before i started playing (early 90's i guess) and as he really looks after his gear all his are still going strong.

oh and i bought a whirlwind cable in about 98 too and that one is still exactly as it left the shop, cost me 18 quid, i don't use it that much any more as it's a little long but when i need a lead i can trust it's the first in my hand.

matt

Edited by Matt P

I've had a Planet Waves cable go on me, but was then pleasantly surprised to find out that their lifetime guarantee is a real deal with no catches - posted it back to the UK distributor and they had me a shiny new one out in a matter of days!

• 9 months later...

My white curly Bullet lead I've had about 18 months went kaput second song at Friday's gig in Croydon. Luckily I had an OBBM spare in the dressing room or I would have been fecked. Shame it looked the part.
Function over for form from now on.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1366899159' post='2058749']
My white curly Bullet lead I've had about 18 months went kaput second song at Friday's gig in Croydon.
[/quote]

Ha! I was toying with the idea of a white Vox curly lead to match the guitarist's, but really didn't like the idea of not using my trusty obbm lead... you can't beat an obbm lead.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366901458' post='2058790']
Ha! I was toying with the idea of a white Vox curly lead to match the guitarist's, but really didn't like the idea of not using my trusty obbm lead... you can't beat an obbm lead.
[/quote]

+1 used and frankly abused my obbm's for around 6 years with no issues.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340280685' post='1702165']
All cables will last if you look after them. Most people don't look after them which is why they have to be replaced so often.
[/quote]

this.
I still have some Klotz cables from the mid 80's and a Horizon from the late 80's that are reserve now and work perfectly.