Why become a member? ×

Word Up - Cameo at the Jazz Café 16th – 20th July

Bo0tsy

[color="#000000"][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Got myself some tickets to see Cameo on 19[/size][sup][size="2"]th[/size][/sup][size="3"] July [/size][/font][/color]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Anyone else going to see this? It looks like at least a couple of the original Cameo line-up are appearing: lead singer Larry Blackmon (though he might be a bit long in the tooth for his red cod-piece these-days :huh: ) along with Tomi Jenkins. Not 100% sure who’ll be on the bass, but I’m really hoping it’ll be Aaron Mills, who’s a very underrated funk bassist IMHO.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Anyway, looking forward to the gig. Here’s hoping these guys have still got it & are not faking the funk.[/font][/color][/size]

Saw 'em in 88 at The Playhouse, Edinburgh. One of the best gigs I've ever attended! Wish I could catch this show.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn8KYD1Vco0"]Codpiece action[/url]

An idea who the guitarist is at 2:03 on the timeline?

Edited by Stacker

I've never seen them live but hear they still put on a great show. As much as I love and grew up with their '80's stuff, I also really got into their earlier 70's straight up funk, which had a nice p-funk style:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1No13toKCW8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1No13toKCW8[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Finally got to see Cameo at the Jazz Café last night, (after the original gigs were postponed). [/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Most of their original line-up were there (incl. Larry Blackmon, Toni Jenkins and Aaron Mills – awesome on the bass). [/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Have to say they absolutely rocked the place and Cameo were still as funky as Larry’s codpiece. [/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]The set included a lot of their big hits, Candy, She’s Strange, Single Life, Back & Forth, Attack me with your Love, and a rousing rendition of Word Up!, as well as some of their early 70’s funk and soul (incl. Sparkle, Feel Me, Keep it Hot, Flirt).[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Definitely worth seeing. Their last London show is tonight.[/font][/color][/size]