Why become a member? ×

Any Ritters Out There?

molan

On 17/06/2016 at 13:16, TheGreek said:

There are some people who haven't played a Ritter who aren't sure why they are priced where they are - let's look at what else you can get for similar money, a crappy, now ordinary looking Warwick (they haven't aged well and don't look good), old poorly built (70s?) Fenders, horrible, poorly balanced Ricks or a new custom bass with less pedigree.

As someone who owns both a Ritter and several Warwicks, I have to strongly disagree. I love my Ritter Roya 5, it is definitely the best bass I have ever owned in terms of build quality and tone.

However it cost much more than both my 1990 Streamer Stage 1 5er and my 2008 Thumb 5 put together! 

Neither of them are crappy or ugly on fact both are exceptional instruments with fantastic tones and looks. Albeit the Thumb has some ergonomic issues.

For the amount of money you pay for a used Ritter, you can buy a mint used example from the Warwick Masterbuilt stable- none of which will be any less than exceptional.

Ritters are exceptional but let's not lose our grip on reality please...

Edited by dyerseve

This is going to go off topic but....

I agree that the price of a new Ritter is out of reach of most of us mere mortals. Justifying having one sitting in a case under my bed (I was far tooo precious with mine) was difficult so I made the decision to sell it to somebody who would hopefully put it to good use. However prices of second hand Ritters recently have been around 50% of the new price - putting them in reach of anybody who can sell a couple of good quality, high end basses. In fact, some might consider the prices they sell for as insulting from a sellers POV.

I've not made a secret of not being a Warwick fan, mostly because of the poor customer service I've had, but I'm not convinced that they are the high end, prestige basses the reputation suggests. I certainly didn't get high end CS. Yes, they still have some high profile endorcees but I know of at least one who doesn't use theirs live. Any prestige is lost.

Given the choice between a Ritter and the two listed Wicks? The Ritter (but I probably wouldn't take it out of my home). Tonally and esthetically superior (IMO). 

In fact the choice between a Wick and any comparable high end brand, let's say a Spector? No question IMO - Spector all day long.

Same goes for my Overwater, my ACG and my one offs - they all play better than the Wicks I've owned and I raved about the Dolphin I had - till I played other high end gear. The Standard I recently parted with fell a long way short of being a "good bass". I accept that it is an entry model but it lacked any "wow-ness".

I know that much of this is about personal preference and choice - I just choose not to endorse the Warwick brand, either verbally or through my bank account.

Back on topic anybody??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I've not made a secret of not being a Warwick fan, mostly because of the poor customer service I've had, but I'm not convinced that they are the high end, prestige basses the reputation suggests. I certainly didn't get high end CS. Yes, they still have some high profile endorcees but I know of at least one who doesn't use theirs live. Any prestige is lost.

Their endorsees get them for free and are actively pursued and given free basses to raise their brand profile. Certain other top brands e.g. Spector - don't give basses for free. Even their endorsees pay cost + VAT. When you see someone endorses their basses you KNOW they love and WANT to use them, no strings attached.

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Their endorsees get them for free and are actively pursued and given free basses to raise their brand profile. Certain other top brands e.g. Spector - don't give basses for free. Even their endorsees pay cost + VAT. When you see someone endorses their basses you KNOW they love and WANT to use them, no strings attached.

Are you sure about that re. Spector? AFAIK Wal is the only brand that do not endorse any artists.

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

This is going to go off topic but....

I agree that the price of a new Ritter is out of reach of most of us mere mortals. Justifying having one sitting in a case under my bed (I was far tooo precious with mine) was difficult so I made the decision to sell it to somebody who would hopefully put it to good use. However prices of second hand Ritters recently have been around 50% of the new price - putting them in reach of anybody who can sell a couple of good quality, high end basses. In fact, some might consider the prices they sell for as insulting from a sellers POV.

Given the choice between a Ritter and the two listed Wicks? The Ritter (but I probably wouldn't take it out of my home). Tonally and esthetically superior (IMO). 

In fact the choice between a Wick and any comparable high end brand, let's say a Spector? No question IMO - Spector all day long.

Same goes for my Overwater, my ACG and my one offs - they all play better than the Wicks I've owned and I raved about the Dolphin I had - till I played other high end gear. The Standard I recently parted with fell a long way short of being a "good bass". I accept that it is an entry model but it lacked any "wow-ness".

I know that much of this is about personal preference and choice - I just choose not to endorse the Warwick brand, either verbally or through my bank account.

Back on topic anybody??

this is on topic as far as I can see - we are comparing the merits of Ritters to other manufacturers.

it is obvious you are negatively biased towards Warwick based on your experience. I am trying to balance the thread by offering my counter argument so anyone who reads this thread wont necessarily be put of Warwick but will see that there are differing opinions and hopefully they will research further.

Just to be clear though - i paid £3500 for my Roya and believe it is worth every penny. However the build quality and ergonomics are not flawless and when I compare that amount of money to what I could buy fromt he classifieds - ie the Masterbuilt Infinity, I cannot see any reason to believe that the Infinity will be any less amazing than the Ritter - in fact it looks better IMO!

11 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Are you sure about that re. Spector? AFAIK Wal is the only brand that do not endorse any artists.

Positive. Their endorsements are cost price. Only a couple of 'sig model' artists get a limited number of complimentary instruments.

4 hours ago, cetera said:

Positive. Their endorsements are cost price. Only a couple of 'sig model' artists get a limited number of complimentary instruments.

Sorry but that is a very contradictory statement. Spector do give away free basses in that case, just like Warwick...

Edited by dyerseve

3 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Sorry but that is a very contradictory statement. Status do give away free basses in that case, just like Warwick...

No it isn't. Being endorsed is very different to being honoured with a custom signature model of your very own. Very few artists get a sig model, but many artists can be endorsed.

4 hours ago, cetera said:

No it isn't. Being endorsed is very different to being honoured with a custom signature model of your very own. Very few artists get a sig model, but many artists can be endorsed.

Sorry but i was being a pedant and basing my reply on your previous assertion that Spector don't give basses away for free.

Anyway, back on topic - do Ritter endorse anyone and if so do they receive their bass FOC?

Also, even more on topic, here is my beautiful Ritter. Not as pretty as some but god damn it sounds amazing! Interestingly, and not trying to rub @thegreek up the wrong way, but I find it's tone is reminiscent of my Thumb NT 5 - incredible clarity and a somewhat HiFi presentation.

20180910_174434.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

A thing of beauty indeed....not owned a Thumb so can't comment. My problem with my Dolphin, and it was a very versatile instrument, was I couldn't settle on a tone. I sold it to a fella in Oz so the chances of getting it back are miniscule..

Thanks. It certainly isn't ugly, just a little more plain compared to some of the Ritters I've seen. I've never heard such a resonant instrument though. Playing unplugged you are still well aware this is a very special instrument.

My only gripes are the lower horn isn't 100% comfortable whilst sitting, the ball end retainers are not the best design as the strings run over the wood where they exit towards the bridge.

However, even in passive mode you have more than enough tones to suit most needs. Bring the EQ in, especially with the sweepable mids,  and you will never want for another bass again - unless of course it is another Ritter!!

Btw, which Dolphin did you own? If it is a pro 1 then it is pretty much the only Warwick model I haven't owned that I actually lust after! 

Edited by dyerseve

The R8 Acoustic

A solid piece of red cedar hollowed out and closed with an aluminium backplate

r801.jpg

https://ritter-instruments.com/R8-acoustic.php

STANDARD R8 ACOUSTIC FEATURES
Pickups RITTER MASTER Slimbucker Pickup (neck) + Ritter Master Triplebucker (bridge) + RMC Piezo
Electronics Ritter C-3-S RMC Active 3-Band
Gurtpins Dunlop Straplocks
Tuners Ritter Backside Tuning Block & String Attachments
Nut Rendered Bone Nut
Bridge RITTER 3D Bridge + B1 Single String Attachment
Body Wood Red Cedar
Neck Neck Maple Bolt-on 3-Pieces
Fingerboard Ebony
Scale 34" (863,8mm) or 35" (889mm) on Low-B Instruments
Finish Frosted Transparent

16 hours ago, ChrisDev said:

The R8 Acoustic

A solid piece of red cedar hollowed out and closed with an aluminium backplate

r801.jpg

https://ritter-instruments.com/R8-acoustic.php

STANDARD R8 ACOUSTIC FEATURES
Pickups RITTER MASTER Slimbucker Pickup (neck) + Ritter Master Triplebucker (bridge) + RMC Piezo
Electronics Ritter C-3-S RMC Active 3-Band
Gurtpins Dunlop Straplocks
Tuners Ritter Backside Tuning Block & String Attachments
Nut Rendered Bone Nut
Bridge RITTER 3D Bridge + B1 Single String Attachment
Body Wood Red Cedar
Neck Neck Maple Bolt-on 3-Pieces
Fingerboard Ebony
Scale 34" (863,8mm) or 35" (889mm) on Low-B Instruments
Finish Frosted Transparent

What a beauty! How does it sound? How thick is the body?

38 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Sounds fantastic. Excuse my ignorance but is that you playing? If so, very impressive!

No, I live on the other side of the world.
Jota Quest is a Brazilian band with PJ on bass. He has quite a few Ritter basses, and many many others. https://www.instagram.com/pj_jotaquest/

The guitar player plays a Ritter Monroe. Ritter Bass with LEDs @2:35

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCH said:

wow..need one!!!!!!....any pic's of the back...whats the weight

1714-3.jpg

I don't have the weight of the R8 acoustic, but Red Cedar is very light.
I know someone with a solid body Red Cedar R8 > weight 3.5kg. The Acoustic will weigh less as it is hollowed out

17 minutes ago, ChrisDev said:

1714-3.jpg

I don't have the weight of the R8 acoustic, but Red Cedar is very light.
I know someone with a solid body Red Cedar R8 > weight 3.5kg. The Acoustic will weigh less as it is hollowed out

Sorry but that is a rather ugly backside. Can't help but feel that Jens could have done a lot more to improve the look of that. First step would have been to dye the whole backside black to make the aluminium plate less obvious as well as the transition between body and plate also less obvious.

The shape of the plate is just really odd too. No doubt it probably matches the shape that was hollowed out but the plate could have been extended to match the complete body shape to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Just my 2 cents sorry...

• Like 1

On 16/09/2018 at 13:32, dyerseve said:

Sorry but that is a rather ugly backside. Can't help but feel that Jens could have done a lot more to improve the look of that. First step would have been to dye the whole backside black to make the aluminium plate less obvious as well as the transition between body and plate also less obvious.

The shape of the plate is just really odd too. No doubt it probably matches the shape that was hollowed out but the plate could have been extended to match the complete body shape to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Just my 2 cents sorry...

On 16/09/2018 at 15:38, TheGreek said:

Tend to agree. IMO Ritters are one of the more esthetically pleasing brands. This flies in the face of everything that has gone before.

Remember that I am a Ritter lover...

I can understand that. It would have done it differently as well.

It's very similar to his PJS guitar

1526-3.jpg

Just now, ChrisDev said:

I can understand that. It would have done it differently as well.

It's very similar to his PJS guitar

1526-3.jpg

That one doesn't look quite as bad - the shape of the plate is much more sympathetic and uniform when compared to the body shape....

And remember I am a huge fan of Ritters, even more so now that i am lucky enough to own one, so I don't make these criticisms lightly.

• Like 1