Why become a member? ×

Any Ritters Out There?

molan

I've seen a few Ritters mentioned on other threads but thought I'd see if there were many current Ritter owners here these days.

Here's my little 4 string Cora - solid flamed maple body, maple neck & ebony board, transparent hand polished high gloss 'Late Lounge' finish.

Plays like a dream :)

That is stunning!! A lot of Ritters don't do it for me but that is one of the nicest basses I have seen on the forum!
Interesting design features there, the recessed jack in the backplate. And took me a while to figure out why it looked like through body stringing from the front but not the back :blink: Also what scale is it?

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1340105785' post='1699079']
That is stunning!! A lot of Ritters don't do it for me but that is one of the nicest basses I have seen on the forum!
Interesting design features there, the recessed jack in the backplate. And took me a while to figure out why it looked like through body stringing from the front but not the back :blink: Also what scale is it?

BB
[/quote]

Thanks BB - it really is quite special :)

It's a 33.3" scale. Still has loads of depth to the E string & that slightly shorter length, coupled with a super slim neck just makes it really easy to play.

I took it to rehearsal last night & it sounded just great in a live band mix up against two relatively loud guitarists.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1340109135' post='1699179']
I'm not a Ritter fan either particularly, but that's fabulous.
[/quote]I normally post pictures of the world's ugliest dog upon mention of Ritter but that has rather taken me aback. Wonderful bass, Barrie!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1340129597' post='1699693']
I normally post pictures of the world's ugliest dog upon mention of Ritter but that has rather taken me aback. Wonderful bass, Barrie!
[/quote]

Praise indeed from a man of your tastes Clarky :)

I can't praise it enough in terms of playability. I've actually raised the action a bit higher than I usually use which allows me to dig in a bit more & I can still whizz around on it more comfortably than anything else!

Mind you I have strung it with Vic Wooten Fodera strings which are a 'girly' 40-95 gauge, lol.

The band last night was quite 'rocky' and we played a few old standard Creedence type gritty songs & it fitted into the mix brilliantly. I'd thought it might be a bit bright with the solid maple body & ebony board (plus I was using a little MarkBass 2x10) but it sounded perfect :)

Forgot to say that the overall colour & grain isn't quite as defined as these photos suggest - it's a little more 'subtle', if you can use subtle when it comes to a Ritter :)

It actually looks nicer in the flesh than the pics suggest. . .

Stunning. The Cora is my favourite Ritter shape and this is a lovely example.
I'm not surprised it plays and sounds great - no ill could come from such a temple :-)

I read a review stating that the standard preamp in these (specified by Josh Dunham) is particularly prominent in the lower mids - have you found this? Sounds like you're well happy with it either way

• 4 months later...

Here are some of shots of my new-to-me Ritter Classic 7-string #723. In the live pics I'm playing with an EBow at The Spill Festîval last Saturday with band Temper Temper - although they're out of shot ;-) Rather than wait for pics from the official photographer, I got a band mate to take some snaps during soundcheck, hence the quality's not great...

So much is written about the way Ritters look - something to do with some being incredibly expensive and crazily flash/mad/'unusual' I guess - but the sound is often overlooked. I have to say though, when I first plugged mine in, holy cow on a cracker, the tone is fantastic. Massive low end punch and terrific mid range detail! I particularly like the humbucker/single-coil switches and mid controls, giving plenty of different, really useable sounds to explore when combined with the other controls. Seven strings are going to take some getting used to, but the neck is so well shaped and proportioned, it'll be a 'brain thing', not ergonomics. I know much is made of Ritters being 'works of art', but I intend to gig the hell out of mine...

My mate Grand Wazoo just couldn't resist coming round to check it out. Even as a die-hard Dingwall fan, he was blown away by the playability and craftsmanship and of course, the TONE(S!) He even overcame his '7-string fear'... He'd brought his new top-end camera - it has a gyroscope! - along and with the fisheye you can even see my rig on the other side of the room!

Edited by JonnyM

• 10 months later...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1379873223' post='2217659']
That'll be this one then :)

[/quote]

I've just acquired this from Molan - wow!! what a bass...beautiful neck which is soooo easy to play...if anybody ever questions why you should pay big money for a custom bass try one of these (not this one though!!!) - I can see why Barrie has already spent the money on it's replacement....another Ritter!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1380465998' post='2225662']
I've just acquired this from Molan - wow!!
[/quote]

Carrying on the theme of not usually liking high-end bass design but liking Ritters... ahem: I don't usually like the design of high-end basses, but I do like this one. I also like Ritter's design ideas and aesthetics. I just think that if I showed up on stage playing one it would look like a bit like a pig wearing a pearl necklace. Or something. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380466622' post='2225676']

Carrying on the theme of not usually liking high-end bass design but liking Ritters... ahem: I don't usually like the design of high-end basses, but I do like this one. I also like Ritter's design ideas and aesthetics. I just think that if I showed up on stage playing one it would look like a bit like a pig wearing a pearl necklace. Or something. :)
[/quote]

One of the great things about Ritters is that they are just so 'playable' and are genuinely great gigging basses. Of course Jens makes some that are pretty far out there in design and finish and I can totally understand why people might be wary of gigging them.

However he also makes some that aren't as 'in yer face' and Cora's, like this one, really don't look that out of place on an everyday gig. This particular one has certainly seen some decent gigging action :)

I did check out some Ritters at the last Bass Day in London earlier this year but it was with headphones so not ideal. I plan to check some out properly at sometime during the coming year and see what they have a sound that I can use. I don;t have a bolt on bass so this may be a good place to start looking.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1380490916' post='2226201']
Here's a couple of shots of my Ritter 10th Anniversary....the one my wife "forced" me to buy!

[/quote]

Your wife is an evil woman...can I have her when you're finished with her???

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"Here's a couple of shots of my Ritter 10th Anniversary....the one my wife "forced" me to buy!"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Nice to be forced into buying that especially if the money for it was forced into your hand too.... :-)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jazzyvee[/size][/font][/color]