Why become a member? ×

Little Mark Tube 500 or 800?

bassickman

If you are loud and use a lot of bass in your tone you might need a more powerful amp, not to be louder, but to get a better tone. A good bass tone can eat up lots of power from your amp.

Having said that, I’ve had several 500 watt amps and they were all much louder than my ears could take, and loud enough for any band I've been in, and that includes a couple of very, very loud ones. My latest amp is 600 watts at 4 ohm and 800 watts at 2 ohm. I don’t play any louder. The aim was more headroom and better tone.

Also, make sure that the speakers you buy are "sensitive", and then you'll get all the volume possible out of your watts.

the 500 is loud, but then i am running through my 610! but i have it at about 12'o'clock? so theres still a little bit more to go.

really nice clean tones, you can also add a little edge with the tube pre, not distorting but just a bit of edge.

really nice amp! i dnt need the 800 but if you have the money why not get a more powerfull amp? and the 800 is i think pretty good value! although i might be tempted to get a momark head as its about the same price and you then can basically have all the markbass heads on tap as the modules are pretty reasonable!

andy

Yeah. Would you say[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1340104549' post='1699049']
the 500 is loud, but then i am running through my 610! but i have it at about 12'o'clock? so theres still a little bit more to go.

really nice clean tones, you can also add a little edge with the tube pre, not distorting but just a bit of edge.

really nice amp! i dnt need the 800 but if you have the money why not get a more powerfull amp? and the 800 is i think pretty good value! although i might be tempted to get a momark head as its about the same price and you then can basically have all the markbass heads on tap as the modules are pretty reasonable!

andy
[/quote]

Would you say it's too gimmiky?!

Or is it a nice niche that will work ona pro level?

[quote name='bassickman' timestamp='1340105481' post='1699071']
Yeah. Would you say

Would you say it's too gimmiky?!

Or is it a nice niche that will work ona pro level?
[/quote]

im guessing you mean the tube? nope it does add a certain flavour to the sound, but it wont give you drive like a proper tube pre amp might.

yeh the amp is a pro piece of kit! lots of pros using them.

alternatively if you ment the momark stuff, it def not! you basically have all the markbass amps plus you can do custom combinations! i would have gone down this route if i had the money but i needed to get a powerfull head for around 400 notes and so i grabbed a second hand lm500 for that.

try one out you might find yourself finding you like the solid state pre? in which case you can grab a lm3 for about 350 secondhand!

andy

• 5 months later...

The LM tube 800 and 500 have different types of power amps and I'm advised they are quite different in terms of tone.

The 500 has a analog power amp and sounds warmer like the LMIII. The 800 has a digital power amp and has less low mids and a crisper high mids that can't be completely dialled out.

Having had the LMT500, my views are it`s one of the nicest amps I`ve ever had. It has a lovely warm tone to it with the tube on full, but you can coax crisp sounds from it too. Power wise, well I had it hooked up to a Markbass 104HR (8 ohm version) so "only" getting 300 watts, and I couldn`t have the amp on more than 4 out of 12 on volume, and I like a scooped sound as well.

I use the MoMark tube 800. The tube does bring a 'solidity' to the tone, that makes it feel like playing through a big 'lead sled' type amp as opposed to a smaller digital one. It doesn't do grind though.
Power wise I've found the 800 certainly has enough poke, but doesn't feel a lot louder than my old little mark 2. (Through two berg 2x10's)
I sold a Genz Benz shuttle 9.0 to get it, and I've not looked back. When I can afford the graphic eq module ill be a very happy camper.

If you are only using a certain speaker cabinet, it will only ever get so loud regardless of wattafe you pump into it.

The facts are that the 800's power amp is barely 800 watts at burst and is only about 600 and something at continuious. The 500 is around that at continuois and the difference between the two is negligable.

Agin you may have more headroom with the 800 but the cab is only going to ever get so loud.

I'd stick with the 500 as the power amp is a lot more efficient and overall better, and saving you money.

It's not the amount of watts it's how those watts are put down.