Why become a member? ×

Stringing a 5 with E to C, - any issues?

zipideebass

I'm looking at restringing my Elrick 5 string 35" with an E to C scale (rather than change it for a 6er)
Got that Matt Garrison thing going on in my head.

Is there anything in your experience that I should be careful of?

Plan was to remove the B and shift the others up one, adding a 30 gauge C string. The nut shouldnt be a biggie as the Elrick has a zero fret. Iam concerned about the long term effect of changing the tension in the neck.

A guy on Youtube, Arcellus, seems to have got it sussed with his Bolt on, but any problems with it being a hybrid neck (semi through set neck affair).?

Before I go for it I'd appreciate your thoughts
Ta muchly

• 3 weeks later...

I changed mine E/ C last year. I tried it again with low b and it lasted day and fI returned to e-c.issues for me :

Yes you need set up after just adjust the bass properly at the beginning. So maybe give it to professional unless you don,t mind to spend some time on it.
Strings: none sells 5 stringers set and they make your tone.I personally now need to change strings every 2 month (at least) they sound dead, but I play hours every day and use fast fret() that helps allot) I recommend sound of D'addario. and it is up to you what you prefer I had 0,28 to 0.95 and just changed to 0,32 to 1,05. It does not look different at all but sound is different I don't think it is right or worst just different and its up to you but once you put string on you set up if you change them set up again.

The sound than depend also o amp and cab and better amps help your tone to be natural because many amps have EQ different and can make high c not sound nice. Even can make it completely different to rest of the strings.I have TC RH 450, RS 212 and sound greate for kind of jazzy think and EQ is Always FLAT. So I always take my amp with me just to make sure I sound nice.

Personally for me I don't miss low B at all. if I need to than I drop E t Eb or D if you need to do it often they do hipshot D tuner which is good thing to consider.

This tuning is completely different and make you play different.

Benefits: Huge!
you can play chords nicely and easy,bas becomes more melodic....

I personally play bass different than before.
Helped me to improve. Technically and theoretical stuff, I sometimes compose Bass,harmony and melodies much easier...

So it might there is lot of problems but they are minor.

So GO FOR IT.

i would just change and if there are gonna be problems just deal with them and trust me bass will take it for sure easy. Set the action and trust rod if you need to ( the action needs to be as low as possible for this tuning , at least personally for me. If you like MG technique you would need to do that to)

Good luck

and have fun with it