Why become a member? ×

strings for a NS EUB

zipideebass

Hi, I'm a bit confused. If I looking to replace my strings on my newly acquired Crm 5. When (if :-P) I get some spare cash what strings would you recommend. Oh, and is there a difference between'normal' bridge a stringing and'through' the body??

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations gratefully received..I try to play pizz and Arco so a happy medium would be great. Thanks

I put the D'Addario NS Trads on mine which were fine. I think you have to be careful with lengths of some DB strings as they can be a bit long (which is why theres that option of stringing all the way round the end of the bass) whereas the D'Adadrio are the right length. I never played arco, but pizz was fine with decent tension (although the B felt a lot different to the rest of the set). Also if you are using the magnetic pickups you'll need metal core strings.

NS seem to recommend using their special set of 5, I guess not just because they are of the correct length and gauge, but also because - at least on my NXT 5 - the low B and the E are slightly different, and feel a bit rougher than the others (I think they may be groundwounds as opposed to flatwounds). That way, their sound is slightly brighter and creates fewer problems with the low frequencies when amplified.

However, NS also says that it's perfectly possible to use "real" double bass strings, and that stringing through the body shouldn't make any difference (I haven't tried it, though).
Assuming that a set of 5 double bass strings can be found, I imagine that would be the only way to obtain a good double-bass-like sound - I find that the current setup makes my bass sound electric despite me tweaking the pots and switches in any way possible.

I currently have a set of Flexocors on my CR4M. They are a 4/4 set strung through to the back plate. As moonbass says there can be some issues with certain 'real' DB strings. Some 3/4 sets are too short. I tried a set of Spirocores on and didn't get beyond the G. Too short. Luckily there was still enough to use on my DB.

If you want to try DB strings check the speaking length, so the silks don't cross the nut or the bridge. I have also used Belcantos which sounded good too.

I haven't tried the NS strings so can't comment on them. However, 'real' DB strings really do help the sound of the instrument.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys - I have a NS CRM5 and have been using the NS standard strings for a few years, but recently fitted a set of Innovation Honey DB strings. I was trying to improve the bowed/arco sound to be more like a DB. I think it does, but I saw a band this summer (Mabon) and clocked the settings, which have improved both the pizz and arco sound. For all settings I have the mag/peizo one all the way round to peizo (2nd one down), then the 3rd down - either all the way anticlockwise for pizz or all the way clockwise for arco. Then the tone controls - 4th down (treble) quarter to the hour for pizz, fully clockwise for the bass. Tone for arco - treble fully anti clockwise, bass fully clockwise. Sounds a bit mad check it out/have a fiddle....! Amp settings are pretty flat/bass on about +1. Saving for a BSX now though....

Edited by Jay J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mr Bassman!

If You like the Obligatos - good for You. But zipideebass's question was for strings for his CR 5 [b]M[/b] - with magnetic PUs. For this EUB you need strings with a magnetic steel core!

I purchased an used CR 5 M and it was strung with brand new Spirocore mittel/medium. My first thougt: How can I ever bow (90%) these strings, but it went fine after one week. They didn't look nice at the mechanics so I removed the silk and some of the wrapping and fixed it with superglue. My recommendation: Spirocore! For most players the weich/soft should be perferable but I like strings with a higher tension.

Thomas

Edited by Basstroker

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1351871212' post='1856458']
NS strings=eub tone. Proper DB strings = closer to DB tone. Raise action = even closer to DB tone
[/quote]

Owen speaks the truth.

I have Innovation Silver Slaps on my WAV 4. The standard set don't fit, you need to order a special set, but I they have the required lengths now.

Jennifer