Why become a member? ×

N(o)BD

Doctor J

I picked this up from the US for about the price of a Tribute. It's an early 90's L2000 body which was mated with an early 80's SB2 neck. The neck had been stripped, looks like it was painted black at some point, stripped badly again and had a bad nitro finish applied. It wasn't in great shape to be honest, the seller was a little liberal with the description and it had 20 years of crud all over it.

I spent many hours yesterday sanding the crap off the neck, both the crap nitro and the remnants of the black still on there. On the positive side, it's a great feeling neck and straight as an arrow, but this accounted for six hours of my life.

Luckily, the pain of the defeat against Spain distracted me from the pain of several grit phases of sanding. The nut was broken so I installed a brass nut I had to hand which was a perfect fit, also did a fret level, crown and polish and finished it with the same wax my Streamer is finished with. It feels great now. I stripped and cleaned the body and parts too, had to replace the barrel jack and mismatched knobs and, after a good set up, it turned out real nice, real nice indeed. It sounds amazing, definitely something fans of Warwicks should investigate if they haven't already.

Of course, being an early 80's neck means it has been in the room with Leo, which means its [size=5][b]+++AWESOME+++[/b][/size] :lol:

C'est un obscur objet du désir!
I'd pour bucketloads of water over it!

Translation: This is an absolute beauty. I want her so badly that I just had to write some obscure film reference that only really, really weird people are gonna get. Boy I'm a filmbuffnerdloser... :)

Oil or wax is fine for maple. It has a wax coating, just like countless maple bodied and necked Streamer basses which have done ok since the 80s. It won't stay spotlessly clean like your average Fender entombed in poly and the likes, but it will be protected enough and I don't like the feel of a glossy neck anyway.

Having spent a few days getting to know this, I must say I really like the electronics package. It could use a blend pot and I can't see myself ever using the bright switch, but I've really warmed to it in a short space of time. I would heartily recommend one of these for anyone who likes slapping, it has a perfect slap tone.