Why become a member? ×

SEI FLAMBOYANT 5 string with LANE POOR pickups .NOW SOLD

bobpalt

SEI FLAMBOYANT 5 string bass and new hardcase.

It really pains me to sell this gorgeous bass, but after much ham fisted practice, I have concluded that me and 5 strings just dont go together. As one of my lovely band members put it, "you only play old man bass"!

She is in excellent condition, and is featured on the SEI website. The body core is zebrano, with beautiful burr maple front and back facings with accent lines. The 7 piece through neck is laminated flame maple and zebrano, with the headstock veneered front and back as well, and the fingerboard is ebony. Green leds are fitted to the fingerboard edge, controlled by a pull pot, and the pre amp is a Demeter 9v unit. The control cavity covers are cut from the same wood as the facings, and straplocks are included.

The pickups are the jewel in the crown, being LANE POOR soapbar units, mounted slightly closer to the bridge than is normal. The sound is absolutely superb, and playabilty is beyond question. There is a passive option, together with another toggle switch which I am ashamed to say I have never discovered the function of! A new hardcase is included.

I am looking for £1,450 please. I have to fund my new ACG (4 string) which should be nearing completion soon!

[attachment=8034:SeiAshdown_007.jpg]

[attachment=8035:SeiAshdown_009.jpg]

[attachment=8032:SeiAshdown_006.jpg]

[attachment=8036:SeiAshdown_008.jpg]

[attachment=8038:SeiAshdown_005.jpg]

NOW SOLD

Edited by bobpalt

[quote name='bobpalt' post='182687' date='Apr 22 2008, 12:03 PM']Hi.

It really is lovely!

Its a 35" scale.

Cheers,
Bob[/quote]
Thanks, thought so and thus too long for me. Nonetheless, good luck with the sale - the bass looks stunning!

[quote name='Golchen' post='182921' date='Apr 22 2008, 04:18 PM']Wow - awesome looking bass. I'd love it but my skills are so unworthy!

What's the difference with the scale length then? (ignorant peasant)[/quote]
Hi, I'm sure others will offer more detailed/accurate responses, but 34" is usually thought of as standard 'long scale' (and 32" as 'medium' and 30.75" or 30" as 'short scale'). A 35" or 36" scale is not uncommon on higher-end or custom 5 & 6 string basses (the scale length is frequently specified by the indivudual purchaser/commissioning purchaser) - amongst other benefits, the extra scale length offers greater tension/tautness for the low B. Personally, I find 35" a bit too much of a stretch and tend to prefer lower string tension. I hope this helps (and I suspect others will chime in with alternative explanations).