Why become a member? ×

Thomann opinions...

David Nimrod

mine's generally been very good.
my epi 335 was particularly cheap and when it turned up had defintely been built on a friday afternoon - so i sent it back, they refunded my £44 quid postage and sent me a Korean made one which was as you would expect. Everything else I've ordered has turned up quickly and when one of the items i bought from them broke, they asked me to email them pics and then sent me a replacement without asking for the broken one to be returned. top marks from me
not always cheaper for everything though.

Love Thomann to bits - keen prices, good website, reasonably quick responses to queries. DHL are rubbish though.

Order 1: DHL tried to deliver to my house, failed, didn't even leave a card, had to phone around to find out where it was.
Order 2: No tracking info available, but was getting it delivered to my work anyway
Order 3: Should arrive today, according to DHL's tracking
Order 4: Just dispatched today

Credit to Thomann for the SMS notification of dispatch of orders 2 and 4, a nice touch.

My only word of caution is therefore to make sure you're getting the stuff delivered somewhere where you can be sure it will be signed for.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1287' date='May 18 2007, 11:36 AM']DHL are rubbish though............My only word of caution is therefore to make sure you're getting the stuff delivered somewhere where you can be sure it will be signed for.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. thomann work well, DHL are a pain. Assuming their postcode readers actually put the parcel in the correct area, getting the parcel if you're not in gets increasingly difficult. :)
max

I've bought a bass rack/stand and Zoom H4 from Thomann.de and the experience has been great so far. Cheap and prompt. I've found that they don't actually take the money out of your account until you've had the items for a few days too. I haven't had any experience with returns though, which can always sour a relationship.

PeteD said:

[quote]I haven't had any experience with returns though [Thomann], which can always sour a relationship.[/quote]

My Yamaha BBT500H head packed up about 5 days from the year since I bought it.

I found the returns bit of Thomann's site and emailed them. I got a reply about 2 or 3 days later saying it was being dealt with.

A few days after this I had a DML note through the door saying they'd visited to collect and no-one was in. I re-arranged and it was collected on time.

Two or so weeks passed and another email arrived saying it was done.

A couple of days later the amp arrived all fixed. Great service compared with my present situation.

I bought a new Markbass Little Mark II from the Bass Centre over 2 months ago.

It took a while for them to get it in stock but arrived safely just over a week later.

I set up the amp as per the manufacturers instructions and it basically, to cut a long story short, 'fizzled' and died.

Spoke to BC about returns and discovered that I had to do it off my own back and claim postage afterwards (job still to do).

I have to make all the play with the Bass Centre, I call them for info. The staff have been good to talk too but with one exception every time that they have said they'd call me back they haven't.

There seemed to be some confusion as to whether the Importer had the amp as the Bass Centre couldn't fix it (I actually wanted and expected a new replacement). I spoke to a guy at the Importers and he was rude and defensive.

It seems that my new amp, bought over 2 months ago should now be at the Importers, where they will either repair it or replace it. When? I've no idea, maybe it'll turn up one day. Maybe it's still sat in the shop at BC, gathering dust awaiting collection? I'm still using my BBT and I've almost forgotten I'm supposed to own a new, reliable clean sounding LM II.

Contrast this is all I would ask. And BC, if you're privy to this post you could consider having a system for returns a la Thomann instead of the very haphazard one now in place.

Just bought a tech 21 sansamp R.B.I from them.
Arrived within a week , very good with email replies , same day.
Good thing about them is that you get a 3-year warranty at no extra cost , not a lot of companys offer the extra 2 years in addition to the standard 1 Year manufacture's warranty.

Turtlemoon has made a valid point regarding the three year warranty. I'm no lawyer but I have heard somewhere that this applies to ALL goods purchased within the EU. This is why electrical goods purchased somewhere like Aldi have this three year cover. In effect ALL goods purchased within the UK should carry this same 3 year warranty rather than the crappy 12 months we're given here. Have UK companies got some sort of get out clause so this doesn't apply to them? This would have a big impact for buying anything here here as I can't see any reason why we should be exempt. Anybody out there better informed???

• 5 years later...

I've used them once but for a big purchase - Little Mark III, two Mark Bass 2x10 Traveller cabs and associated leads. The transaction was smooth and the items were delivered within five days, well packaged. I probably saved £150 compared to buying them in the UK so I was happy.