Why become a member? ×

Off The Wall

Doctor J

Just listening to Off The Wall and I'm once again struck by how much it [i]swings[/i], you know what I mean? Real drums, real bass, you just can't beat it [size=1][i](sorry)[/i][/size]. Jacko got heavily into electronic rhythm and left bass riffs behind as he went on but this stuff is where it truly is at as far as I'm concerned. Dangerous onwards just leaves me cold. In fact, I even struggle with Bad. Any fans of the later material out there? Help me out, I just don't get it. With a kicking band behind him he really was operating at an entirely different level.

I love Off the Wall, I rate it as one of my favourite albums of all time for a few of the reasons you mentioned. Jaco was a big trendsetter though with a lot of what he did. I did like a lot of his very synthy stuff but by the end of Dangerous his production team was a shadow of its former self, and Jaco as far as I'm concerned was always best when he was writing with real instruments in mind.

I'm a fan of the later stuff too, and think the Jam/Lewis production on Dangerous is great, but Off The Wall is the MJ album I play more than any other. Great songs and absolutely outstanding playing across the board.

The CD reissue with his home demos is great too, the rough cut of "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" with all the family members chipping in on percussion is great and shows how fully formed the song was before the production team got involved - the man doesn't get enough credit as a writer IMO

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1339460762' post='1688903']
The CD reissue with his home demos is great too, the rough cut of "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" with all the family members chipping in on percussion is great and shows how fully formed the song was before the production team got involved - the man doesn't get enough credit as a writer IMO
[/quote]

+1

It's such a fabulous insight into how talented they all were to throw that onto a tape and make it sound so good, so fast. Like you say, it's the tune as it is and the role of the production is to simply add a bit of polish. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

T

Amazing, amazing team behind MJ on OTW and Thriller (and Bad).

QJ is a ridiculously amazing arranger, well known stories of him writing out arrangements the night before on a plane to a TV studio without any way of hearing them, and they were perfect etc.

Dont forget Bruce Swedien either though, he had a massive massive input into the sounds of those albums, google for "The Acusonic Recording Process", a method invented by BS to allow him virtually unlimited tracks on a couple of analogue tape machines whilst playing the original master tape thefewest possible times before mixdown.

Or his selection of ribbon mics for the metallic percission on Billie Jean or Beat It (cant remember which off the top of my head right now, could have been a completely differetn track) as ribbons dont reproduce transients as accurately (the ribbon itself has too much mass to respond quickly to that fast a transient) effectively becoming a physical limiter,. smoothing out the sound and allowing for them to be louder in the mix without dominating when it came to mix time.

Another cracking story is that they went through something like 90 mixes of Billie Jean before going back to mix 2 and going with that one!

Outside the world of mix engineers and sad pale be-ponytailed sound engineer geeks he doesnt get nearly enough recognition IMO....

Edited by 51m0n