Why become a member? ×

Gonna buy a new bass....

basstech

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1339186262' post='1685210']
Musicman over Fender, especially with a 5 string bass.
[/quote]

Musicman over Fender, regardless. If you want P or a J sound, and the musicman sound, get a Big Al 5 SSS.

Have you considered a Sandberg KenTaylor 5???

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339187200' post='1685226']
Three very different instruments there, do you know what you're actually looking for from this bass?
[/quote]

+1
MM over Fender anyday but also stingray over reflex, IMHO.

Never tried a Big Al but they seem pretty sweeeeet ^_^

BSB

If you're not decided on Fender vs Musicman can I suggest you try a Precision 5 as well; to me it's a closer comparison than the Jazz to a Stingray for sitting well in a mix.
Also as much as I love my Stingray 5 I still find myself endlessly tweaking the tone to sit right on recordings whereas Fender (despite lower build quality generally) are just 'there'.
And Stingrays do seem to still have that weak G string (although not generally as marked as the Stingray 4).

Your signature says you already have a "Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5" so not sure why you are considering another?

I've had several MM's - 4s and 5s. They do sound good but they are mostly heavy basses which is an issue for me - may not be for you.

You'll get a lot more for your £s if you buy used via BassChat.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339231137' post='1685537']

Go to the shop. Play them all. Buy the one you like the best.
[/quote]

Yes. Go to the shop. Play every 5 string they've got, even if you weren't considering them. Something you try might just surprise you. It's worked for me in the past....

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1339230258' post='1685519']
Your signature says you already have a "Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5" so not sure why you are considering another?
[/quote]

Because he's a Basschat member and we just can't help ourselves.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1339221205' post='1685457']
And Stingrays do seem to still have that weak G string (although not generally as marked as the Stingray 4).
[/quote]

Ive had 3 Ray's and 5 EBMM basses in total, and tried countless others and never experienced this 'previalant' weak G-string.

I understand there has been an issue in the past on a certain run of Stingray 4's and no one was ever quite sure where the issue was coming from. Still this was a while ago, and I haven't come across anyone who has experienced it on their SR5.

• 3 months later...