Why become a member? ×

Just gone to 4 piece

gub

My favourite bands to play in have been instrumental 3-pieces because it can really allow you to have all kinds of fun on the bass. You can get away with a really ballsy, prominent bass tone if that's your cup of tea. My pals Vasquez are a good example of this, with the bass right in your face and often providing most of the actual riffs [url="http://vasquez.bandcamp.com/album/ep2"]http://vasquez.bandcamp.com/album/ep2[/url]

Enjoy the space in the music , hopefully the remaining guitarist is a strong rhythm guitarist rather than a widdly twiddly lead guitarist , this will fill out the songs , but will allow all the instruments to be heard .
Guitar solo's can always be dropped , the audience are more interested in the singing along with the band , rather than analysing the solo during the lead break .

My band keep taking about getting 2nd guitarist. It always was a 5 piece until I joined (the other guitarist left just before I joined). I prefer 4 piece, but I'll give it a go with another one. If I don't enjoy it I'll leave the band.

I'd agree with the comments about arrangements. I play in three piece and love it, when choosing songs that have keys parts or second guitar parts I look to YouTube for solo acoustic Guitar performances for inspiration for arrangements. We did Drops of Jupiter by Train so to start I found an acoustic guitar arrangement and composed a bass line of my own for it, the guitarist adapted the acoustic guitar part for electric and it sounded great.

Our next challenge is to do ELO's Mr Blue Sky.

Edited by Sean

You really need a 12 string :lol: Just look at Cheap Trick - 12 string bass, 12 string rhythm guitar a lot of the time and a lead guitarist with a guitar with 5 necks.

I've played in 4 piece bands since I was 18 but my main bands have always had keys as well. I'm quite a widdly player but you just can't do that during a solo or it just sounds too empty.