Why become a member? ×

Cab match for SVT-Pro 4?

Mark_Bass

Hiya,

I'm now the poud owner of a Ampeg SVT-Pro 4, not sure what felt the pain more my wallet or my back the first time i picked it up.
Im running it through a Ampeg 410HLF but i'm not really getting enough cut in the way i'd like.
To give you some back ground I've been using a Mesa Boogie m-pulse for sometime but wanted a change, i brought a warwick tube path (which blew-up, luckily i got a refund), then a Genz Benz shuttle 9.2 which i was ok, just didn't set my world on fire. And now I'm with the SVT-Pro 4.
I play hard-rock through to very heavy metal (both covers & originals) using a 5-string Warwick. The reason for the purchase of the 410HLF cab was because i felt my existing SWR cab didn't handle the lows well enough.
Now I'm thinking that HLF doesn't give me enough clean highs or tight mids. Does this forum suggest a 1x15 & 2x10 cab rig (i can biamp with the SVT Pro 4) or perhaps just a different make or model of 4x10?

As always comments, thoughts and suggestions most welcome!

big hint as im selling mine! but have you considered a ampeg 610hlf? handles the lows really well and has a tweeter so you can dial in highs to your taste.

and if i rem correctly it might be taller but i think it narrower than the 410? plus the fact that it looks like a mini fridge

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339072025' post='1683206']
big hint as im selling mine! but have you considered a ampeg 610hlf? handles the lows really well and has a tweeter so you can dial in highs to your taste.

and if i rem correctly it might be taller but i think it narrower than the 410? plus the fact that it looks like a mini fridge

andy
[/quote]

The 610 is bloody beasty! Not light though ;)

I know this gets a bit monotonous... but take a look at the Barefaced stuff.

My rig will be something close to yours, though not as powerful (SVP-Pro > 600W Mosfet) and it gets on very well indeed with my Big One.

Light, loud and sound like whatever you put in em. A Super 15, a Big Twin or two... :lol:

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1339078473' post='1683309']
I know this gets a bit monotonous... but take a look at the Barefaced stuff. My rig will be something close to yours, though not as powerful (SVP-Pro > 600W Mosfet) and it gets on very well indeed with my Big One. Light, loud and sound like whatever you put in em. A Super 15, a Big Twin or two... :lol:
[/quote]

This. If money no object get a Super Fifteen. This will give you 8X10 performance.

I owned a 4PRO for a while. One of the best sounds I've had was putting it through a Schroeder 1212L. Those cabs really punch when fed a lot of watts. A couple of them would make an ***AWESOME*** rig if you can find them.

Edited by DirkThrust

What SWR cab..??? If you are saying the Golaith series 410 did not produce enough lows then you are in real trouble... it is probably still one of the best 410's around..
If you are taking about their toytown budget line, then fair enough, but you get what you pay for....
The Golaith has thuderous lows IME, especially the ll..so if you want more..then you are going to have to consider 2x410....
I'd also expect 2 SWR goli 410's to far outperform an Ampeg 810...
altho what stages you'd be able to run those on...????? it isn't small venue territory.and certainly not pubs..

I owned the Goliath III for many a year, it was a great cab but when i started descending into drop A tuning territory, i've always used 4x10 cabs unless I've been able to borrow a 6x10 or a bigger fridge at venues but never really wanted to heft them around myself. If i can pick-up a matching 1x15 & 210 on here cheaply ill try that for a while. I certainly don't need to be going crazier than that. I don't need super thunderous sub-bass these days but would like a little bit more in the mids and highs.
Ill keep my eyes open on here and see what presents itself, though i admit the barefaced cabs are cool looking, dunno where i could try one though

I`ll second the Schroeder option. They don`t sound that nice on their own (a bit scratchy & middy), but in the mix they are awesome, and, no matter where you stand (except maybe behind them) the sound stays the same, no loss of lows or highs if stood to the side . They also project really well.