Why become a member? ×

Small and lightweight: what should I look into?

1976fenderhead

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1338857154' post='1680230']
yes they do!!

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2821&sid=715&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz....&sid=715&cid=95[/url]

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2663&sid=675&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz....&sid=675&cid=95[/url]
[/quote]

That's not RMS...

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1338887976' post='1680433']
Hi 1976,
Ive just looked through my shuttle 6.0 manual (the one that I got with the amp), and the online version, (which incidently is slightly different!), and I concur, I can't find any specific mention of RMS in relation to the figures quoted either. (Also I have found the shuttle to be quieter than my Hartke LH500, but this may be nothing to do with the ratings, I certainly don't know). Go Figure :)

Cheers Pete
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm guessing that's about 200W RMS at 8ohm and about 350W RMS at 4ohm. If this translates into volume the same way it does for normal-sized amps, I should say that I'd like something a little more powerful than my 350x at 4ohm, so I'm looking for something delivering at least 450-500 W RMS at 4 ohm... I guess that rules out a bunch of them... :/

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1338797295' post='1679226']
Don't know where you live but if you want to check out a good range of the above-named gear you might consider a pilgrimage to Bass Direct near Warwick. Mark is a great guy to deal with and has a great range of gear that he'll be happy for you to try.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm in London 2hrs away from it so not really practical. I should go to the Bass Gallery in Camden but I'm risking coming out with MarkBass as they have like 30 times more of those than any other brand :P

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1338816570' post='1679591']
Thanks. I have to say though, I do hate Trace Elliot. In fact there's 2 brands I was never able to get a good sound of personally, Trace and Ashdown, for the life of me I can't understand how so many people rate them. I've got on best with SWR and Hartke, followed by Ampeg (a bit too scooped) and GK (a bit too trebly). I haven't tried almost any other brand so this isn't worth much...
[/quote]
I have a Hartke 2000 bought it in the earlier 90's and gigged with it for 15 years,now gathering dust in the shed as i wore it out!.....great little workhorse.Never let me down and very powerful.I would say a RH450 and my old hartke have a lot in common in the way they perform and let the sound of the bass be heard without adding too much colour.The range in the tones are also quite similiar.

I've owned lightweight MarkBass, Genz Benz, GK, TC Electronics, SWR, Epifani, Bergantino, maybe a few more as well :)

For my money the Aguilar TH500 paired with the SL 112 cabs offers the best core tone with a decent amount of flexibility.

I have to say that matching the cabs with this head really seems to bring the best out of both. The head can be a bit too warm for some people (in fact I've just picked up an Aggie AG500 which is cleaner and crisper than the TH yet still works well with the cabs).

I find the cabs a real revelation. Stupidly light yet they go seriously loud and sound great for all different types of music :)

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1338887976' post='1680433']
Hi 1976,
Ive just looked through my shuttle 6.0 manual (the one that I got with the amp), and the online version, (which incidently is slightly different!), and I concur, I can't find any specific mention of RMS in relation to the figures quoted either. (A[u][b]lso I have found the shuttle to be quieter than my Hartke LH500,[/b][/u] but this may be nothing to do with the ratings, I certainly don't know). Go Figure :)

Cheers Pete
[/quote]

From your other thread Im certain yours is broken in some way so its not really any help comparing it! I have used a shuttle 6.0 in every gig environment for about 3-4 years and its never been past 1 oclock on the dial, If thats not enough I dont know what people are doing with these amps I really dont?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338900480' post='1680776']
I've owned lightweight MarkBass, Genz Benz, GK, TC Electronics, SWR, Epifani, Bergantino, maybe a few more as well :)

For my money the Aguilar TH500 paired with the SL 112 cabs offers the best core tone with a decent amount of flexibility.

I have to say that matching the cabs with this head really seems to bring the best out of both. The head can be a bit too warm for some people (in fact I've just picked up an Aggie AG500 which is cleaner and crisper than the TH yet still works well with the cabs).

I find the cabs a real revelation. Stupidly light yet they go seriously loud and sound great for all different types of music :)
[/quote]

I do find that option very tempting... How do you find the 'Drive' in that amp? I had an Aguilar Agro and didn't like it, so if it's a similar character, it's not for me... Also, a bit annoying that you can't just footswitch that on or off...

I just can't think of a gig where that sort of volume would be required, we played the Robin in Bilston a while ago and in all honesty I could of used my 1x12 and the 300 shuttle at a push, the 2x12 and 6.0 wasn't even getting warmed up.

I think what Im trying to say is if the OP will have enough volume with a 6.0 then so what if its not as loud as a Hartke? Even then what difference does it make I could just list an amp that would outdo the LH500, say I dont know, a Shuttle 9.0 for example, only a few quid more too :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1338903178' post='1680820']
I do find that option very tempting... How do you find the 'Drive' in that amp? I had an Aguilar Agro and didn't like it, so if it's a similar character, it's not for me... Also, a bit annoying that you can't just footswitch that on or off...
[/quote]

The Agro is the same as the saturation circuit on the AG500. I used to have an AG500 & really struggled to get a usable sound from that channel (I now have the SC single channel version).

The Th is a totally different beast. I set the drive about 11 o'clock and it adds some nice warmth without being over-powering. Have to wind it up a fair bit to bring any distortion in.

It would be nice if it was footswitchable but it's really designed as an enhancement to the core sound rather than an 'effect' I think.

I saw two guys at a masterclass recently and one of them was a pretty serious jazzy chordal type player with a through neck Wood & Tronics. Not really the sort of person you'd imagine liking a TH500 / SL112 rig but he sounded amazing & he really loved the rig (it was loaned to him).

Playing along with him was a major slapping, double thumbing guy who also had the same set-up. Really very different styles but both had their heads set virtually identically & both sounded as good as each other. Really surprised me just how versatile these can be :)

I can only speak from my experience, I use a TC Classic 450 paired with a Bergantino AE212.

I play pubs, weddings, corporate events, beer festivals etc etc. I've never had it up past 4 on the master volume dial. I like the flexibility of sounds and simplicity to operate.

Don't look at power as it counts for nothing if you put it with an inefficient cab. Put a modern head with a quality cab and you'll have more than enough volume. I'd buy a cab based on efficiency and a head based on features, size, sounds, cost but not power - unless of course you play stadiums week in week out.

Other end of the scale is to pick up a sledghammer of a head and one of the barefaced cabs as they thrive on bags of power. You would be unlikely to run out of steam with the 2 x 12 cab no matter how much power you throw at it.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1338918591' post='1681115']
You would be unlikely to run out of steam with the 2 x12 cab no matter how much power you throw at it.
[/quote]

I can vouch for this - I'm currently using an S12 with a 1100W power amp.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their tips, I will be going to the Bass Gallery this Saturday to test pretty much EVERYTHING they have there, but based purely on specs and design (and affordability) I'm already GASing slightly for Aguilar, followed by Genz Benz and then GK. Of course this all may change once I actually hear them...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1339026064' post='1682741']
Thanks to everyone who gave me their tips, I will be going to the Bass Gallery this Saturday to test pretty much EVERYTHING they have there, but based purely on specs and design (and affordability) I'm already GASing slightly for Aguilar, followed by Genz Benz and then GK. Of course this all may change once I actually hear them...
[/quote]

Gallery doesn't have TH500 or SL112 in stock according to their current web site :(

I now have a couple of Markbass rigs for the two bands I play in.

For the pub gigs I have traveler 15 amp/cab stacked on top of a traveler 15 cab, sounds great and has loads of spare volume.

For my other band I use a CMD 102P stacked on top of a 151HF cab, sounds really rich and masses of volume.[attachment=109821:P3210006.JPG]

Well then reporting from my first expedition, curious to see if people here have the same impressions as me of the gear I tried...

First, the ones that I've ruled out:

[b]MarkBass Little Mark III:[/b] really liked the VPF filter, but other than that, a bit meh, too solid state-sounding. Would still like to try the Little Mark Tube and the Rocker, I think the VPF coupled with a tube sound might be a totally different story...
[b]SWR Headlite:[/b] Very defined and transparent but not much character, EQ frequency knobs not as useful as they should be.
[b]GK MB200: [/b]Typical GK sound full of treble, not for me.
[b]GK Fusion 550: [/b]I tried this to see if it had less of that GK sound as they didn't have the small version. It does sound less trebly, but still too much for me. So I guess GK is ruled out...
[b]Orange Terror 500:[/b] Nails the Orange sound no doubt, sounds just like the big ones to my ears (bar the possibility to overdrive) but it does just that and nothing else... I want more flexibility. Although I don't slap much (largely because my amp doesn't help), I want to get more into that stuff and this amp wouldn't help either, though great for classic tube tone.
[b]Genz Benz Shuttle 3:[/b] I liked the scooped tone, punchiness, EQ versatility and super fast attack! Great for slapping, but it's SO overly compressed. Totally killed all the dynamics of my playing, just sucked the life out of it, made me sound like a robot after a while. So ruled out because of that ridiculous compression, because the tone I really liked, even though it's totally and assumedly a solid state amp that doesn't try to be anything else.

Now the ones I liked:

[b]Aguilar TH500:[/b] Great warmth and natural tone, the Drive knob adds a very natural and musical sounding breakup to loud notes. Responds beautifully to dynamics, sounds very 'alive', and it's my kind of sound, classic, warm and slightly overdriven when pushed if needed. A bit like the Terror, but sounding like Aguilar and more versatile. I wish it was more punchy for slapping, funk, etc, it's just not great for that. I should say I'm between bands and I haven't decided whether I want to play originals or covers next. If it's originals, this would be my choice, as I tend towards stoner, progressive, math rock, hardcore, etc. This amp is just perfect for that.

[b]Genz Benz Streamliner 3: [/b]Similar scooped tone to the Shuttle and also a little compressed but nowhere as dramatic. Something I might dial myself if I put a compressor in front of it. The valves add a very pleasant natural warmth if Gain is set to around 9 o'c but above that it starts sounding a little too unfocused and the breakup of loud notes at high gain doesn't sound as nice and musical as the (fake) Drive of the Aguilar, funnily enough... I wish I could select more than 3 frequencies for the Mids knob. BUT, really liked the punchiness and the scooped sound is just right for slap. I liked the versatility, like I think I can get close to the TH500 with this, but can't get this scooped punchiness with the TH500 at all. If my next project is covers, this would be ideal, as in covers I usually tend towards a lot of funk. Also, if I really want to get into slapping properly, I need this one.

So basically, I wish I could buy both the TH500 and the Streamliner 6, although they sound radically different from each other :) And still want to try those MarkBass. Haven't got round to trying Eden yet, which I'd like to, maybe also Ampeg and the TC RH450 too, though the more I read about this last one the less interested I get.

But so far, for the versatility and possibility of taking me in new directions, I think the Streamliner is winning.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Actually, what's winning come to think of it is the TH500 with my MXR Bass Compressor and an EQ pedal to get the scooped tone for slapping. Best of both worlds. hmmm :)

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I've tried a TH500 with a Diamond optical compressor and it nailed the punchier sound really well.

Personally I don't tend to use compressors much but if I did then I'd definitely go for the Diamond. Most 'musical' compressor I've ever heard.

I have A/B'd a Streamliner vs a TH and thought they were both very good.

It was the way the TH worked so well with the SL's that really clinched it for me though :)