Why become a member? ×

Small and lightweight: what should I look into?

1976fenderhead

I'd like to change into a small amp and lightweight cab(s). I've been using an SWR 350x for many years but find it a bit too transparent, would like something with more warmth and personality, something adding a little more colour, valve-like character and punch. What brands/models should I look into? For design and features alone, TC Electronic's stuff looks very appealing but what about the sound?(haven't tested it yet...) Hope you can help. Thanks.

Didn't get on with the TC at all. I grew to dislike it intensely.

The Streamliner was far better, but it didn't work for me at volume - the dynamics seemed to suffer.

Mesa Walkabout does it fer me. It's a bit heavier and larger than the micros, but it's not big by any means.

Edited by wateroftyne

Without a doubt you should definitely try the Orange Terror Bass - much more grunt than the Streamliner. Not tried the Walkabout though but never heard a bad word said about them except for the fan noise, which is fixable.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1338734414' post='1678589']
That does look very interesting, and I tend to like the Mesa models in Line 6, if that's worth anything... What cabs do you use with it? And why did you grow to dislike the TC?
[/quote]

I use Berg HS210s.

I disliked the TC because I hated the way it crushes dynamics. Some might call it 'tube-like'(!)... I call it squishing the life out of of the output to get away with saying it's a 450w head.

Fan noise on the Walkabout has never been a problem for me - I've had two.

If you want to, I would definitely try the RH450 or 750. They have really impressed me at gigs since day one and the DI is fantastic.

It's implementation of tube tone is a love/hate thing. I personally like it. It's very 'middy' and punchy in my opinion, whereas the Genz is more bloomy and bass heavy.

[quote name='born to be loud' timestamp='1338741313' post='1678708']
Yeah I know. Not been here very long but can predict what will happen:
Loads of recommendation for what people use.
Loads of recommendations for what people want.
A few helpful and descriptive posts.

If you are lucky somebody might ask for the info not included in your original post like type of music you play or budget. If you are unlucky your thread will get hijacked for a flame war about power of mixing cabs or stacking vertical.

Or you might just get very little response because you are the 10th person to start a thread like this in the last few days and even the people who love the sound of their own fingers have had enough.

YMMV

I like the look of the Markbass TTE 500 and a brace of STD 102FH. Genz Benz Streamliner and NeoX212T. EBS Reidmar with Neoline 212. All of those amps with Berg HD212 or brace of HD210's. Or Vanderkley 212MNT.
[/quote]

Or maybe this will happen, since I obviously can't try everything there is out there and personally I think going to gigs and listening to what they're using is pointless as there are so many factors at play like bass, FOH gear and sound tech, room acoustics, effects, etc:
1 At some point soon I'll go on a mission to a few shops with my bass to try what I can
2 I'll try TC as thought before but will pay special attention to dynamics
3 I'll try SWR, GK, Aguilar and a few other obvious ones
4 I'll try MarkBass but I'll look specifically at the one you said coz you said it
5 I hadn't noticed Mesa had a small-ish one so now I'll try that
6 I had no idea Genz Benz and Berg were so rated so now I'll definitely look into those too
7 I had completely forgotten how I used to love the big Orange on a practice studio before, so now will definitely try the Terror as someone said.

See? Sounds good to me. Don't be so negative.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I call 20lbs lightweight fo an amp.

I guess it depends if you want a valve or valve simulation. I can do without both, tbh..which would put Markbass in the mix but then I am not convinced about them at volume.
Getting a good sound out at low volume is the easy part for most amps..getting them to create that when pushing it is the hard part and sorts out the men from the boys, IMO
and is not the cheap option.

I would include Ampeg lll's, and GK...both of which aren't my cup of tea at all, but can get grindey.

I have been impressed with TC RH750 at loud demo's volume..-in a shop--.. but I feel/suspect they are pretty reliant on their cabs due to the clever internal mapping..

I guess I am saying I would look at trad amps and include EBS and Eden...but not modern SWR..even though I have a great amp of 20 yrs.. the new ones aren't the same thing ..at all..!!

All we can do is point out a few opinions of what we have come across.. but these are only typical observations... there is no way round how it all relates to your playing.

Also, I think I am getting round to saying, I am not convinced by micros :lol:

If it were me looking for a new amp. and needing it not to weigh in at all-valve weights

My list would be
EBS
Epifani.
Eden
Thunderfunk

and I'd break the weight rule for a DB750.

Edited by JTUK

Lightweight heads I`ve had, in order, and my opinion:

Orange Terror - very loud, can do insane gain, not the most flexible eq, but this can be changed with pedals. Sold as wanted more fexibility.
TC Classic 450 - very versatile, great tube simulation, great on-board compression, very "middy". Sold once the Ampeg PF hit the UK.
Ampeg PF500 - great amp, nice on-board compression, does the famous Ampeg tone great. Sold as Ampeg tones not right for my punk band.
Gallien Krueger MB500 - amazing power, very clinical GK sound, good range of eq. Sold as the Fusion semed more "me".
Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500 - as above, but the valves in the pre-amp add depth to the size of the sound, a kind of cross between Ampeg and GK - which is why I`m still on this amp. Does exactly what I need, very small & lightweight, great sound.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1338797295' post='1679226']
Don't know where you live but if you want to check out a good range of the above-named gear you might consider a pilgrimage to Bass Direct near Warwick. Mark is a great guy to deal with and has a great range of gear that he'll be happy for you to try.
[/quote]

This should be put as post #2 on everyone of these threads IMO :)

Other than that its just a list of who has bought what, Or just get something by Genz-Benz ;)

I've heard the GK MB500 at a gig and liked the tone. It should be loud enough.

I've not heard the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 but after the reviews it got on Talkbass I'd give it provisional pole on my light amp list.

Genz amps generally get good reviews. I don't think I've seen a bad review of the Shuttle 9.

If you are close enough, a visit to Bass Direct should be in your diary.

You don't give any indication of budget but if I won the lottery. (you have to buy a ticket? Damn!) I'd buy the AER Amp One. It does it by trickery but it is loud and has a lovely warm tone and is tiny. Over a grand though and I've never ever seen one second hand which says something. There is nothing else like it really and if you are thinking about spending that much you have to look, if only to rule it out.

Sorry but I'd agree with the go listen and try advice. Yeah, it is nice to have people point you in the right direction but the biggest variable is your taste and it is worth the research effort to get the sound you love, which of course I didn't do last time.

Hi i've been a massive fan of trace elliot amps and used to have a 1210 combo....great sounding amp but very heavy.Like you i wanted to get something lighter(easier on my back tbh!) and i got a RH450 with a RS210 cab. This is much lighter and very powerful.Been using this rig for 12 months and it hasnt let me down.It doesnt add colour to your sound like a Trace does and the compression can be a little strong but it can certainly punch it out and very easy to use. I do use it with a trace 1518c bottom cab to add some beefy bottom end and i love the sound.It can shake windows if thats how you like it or it can be subtle and give you a sweet sound.It is an expensive set up but you do get a light,powerful and quality rig thats very portable.I hope this helps.Good Luck with your search!

Thanks. I have to say though, I do hate Trace Elliot. In fact there's 2 brands I was never able to get a good sound of personally, Trace and Ashdown, for the life of me I can't understand how so many people rate them. I've got on best with SWR and Hartke, followed by Ampeg (a bit too scooped) and GK (a bit too trebly). I haven't tried almost any other brand so this isn't worth much...

If I had a grand or so burning in my pocket for a gigging rig, I'd go for a GK Neo 2x12 II 4 ohm cab (£440) plus a Genz streamliner 600 (£560 ish). Or for more hi-fi tones a Genz shuttle 6.0 instead.
Outstanding alternative amp - Ampeg SVT 7Pro

Just more thoughts to put in the mix. Great time to be a bassist with a few quid in your pocket, wanting to pick up a great, lightweight gigging rig. Have fun deciding !

If you get to a shop that has one, check out the Ampeg Micro VR & SVT210AV stack. I'm using one of those cabs with the Terror and it has the classic Ampeg 810 sound whilst being light as a feather and very reasonably priced.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1338816570' post='1679591']
Thanks. I have to say though, I do hate Trace Elliot. In fact there's 2 brands I was never able to get a good sound of personally, Trace and Ashdown, for the life of me I can't understand how so many people rate them. I've got on best with SWR and Hartke, followed by Ampeg (a bit too scooped) and GK (a bit too trebly). I haven't tried almost any other brand so this isn't worth much...
[/quote]

My impression of the GK MB Fusion is a sort-of cross between regular Ampeg and regular GK sound. Due to the valves in the pre-amp, it`s a lot warmer sounding in the mix. It also isn`t over-scooped in the Ampeg way, and has controls for both upper and lower mids.

On it`s own, you can still hear the classic GK sound, but once the whole lot starts, the highs and crispness of the GK sound don`t exactly disappear, but they don`t dominate the way I`ve heard other GK amps do. Plus, the depth really fills out, especially in the lower mids.

It`s strange, on their own, both this amp, and the regular GK MB500 sound very alike, but in the mix, the valves really seem to come into play thickening up, and taking away any brittleness. The downside to this of course, is it`s difficult to make a judgement when trying out in a store, as it sounds just like a GK on its own.

I read over on Talkbass that the GK MB Fusion is the least GK sounding amp that GK make, and that`s pretty accurate, imo.

yes they do!!

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2821&sid=715&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz....&sid=715&cid=95[/url]

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2663&sid=675&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz....&sid=675&cid=95[/url]

Edited by chris_b