Why become a member? ×

Just won this on Fleabay.. any idea's what it is? ***UPDATE FOR PICS***

Nibody

I'm thinking that it looks suspiciously like a Hondo or possibly by screw posiitions a Tokai - not a great photo. Sort of hope it is a Tokai, as it's my birthday soon...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110886996449?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1435.l2649[/url]

Edited by Nibody

Well at least tis not a Kay.. headstock is wrong shape.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1338659339' post='1677785']
Is that a truss rod cover I spy?
[/quote]

I thought that but I [i]think [/i]its just a trick of the light as you can just see a truss rod adjuster at the heel

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1338658856' post='1677776']
Thats not a Tokai sorry :(

With a sunburst finish with so much black on the contour, probably going to be some sort of plywood wonder.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.jvguitars.com/showproduct.pl?id=1122595716"]http://www.jvguitars.com/showproduct.pl?id=1122595716[/url]

Similair amunt of Black?

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1338660366' post='1677798']
Is that a wheel of fortune truss adjuster?

If it is . Wheel of fortune on a cheap bass? :unsure:
[/quote]

Seller confirms truss rod adjustment is at the heel

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1338660366' post='1677798']
Is that a wheel of fortune truss adjuster?

If it is . Wheel of fortune on a cheap bass? :unsure:
[/quote]

My very cheap and nasty Kay (probably) has a wheel of fortune adjuster at the heel.

A

[attachment=109321:example 1.jpg]

Just for comparison...

1976 Tokai made Hondo - note sunburst (amount of black) and "Wheel of Fortune" adjuster at heel - sold on US vintage guitars site.

[attachment=109322:example2.jpg]

The one I've purchased. They look VERY similair - sunburst pattern, truss rod adjustment. Heel of neck looks more rounded on mine. And I'm not so sure that is a "wheel of fortune", looks more like a cross-head.

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1338707568' post='1678153']1976 Tokai made Hondo - note sunburst (amount of black) and "Wheel of Fortune" adjuster at heel - sold on US vintage guitars site.[/quote]
Except that "Joe" is demonstrating his lack of knowledge of Korean and Japanese guitar production by crediting a Hondo II to Tokai when there is no evidence to suggest that Tokai ever built Hondo II branded instruments. Samick built Hondo and Hondo II branded instruments, in both Korea and Japan. Samick had established a sister company in Japan, also operating under the Samick name, and that's where it produced its IMC/Hondo instruments.

UPDATE FOR PICS********

Recieved it today, broke it down. One Pot has "Made in Japan" on the back, and there is a "K" in pencil on the neck... only markings. Body is solid wood. Did have a cover at the headstock end - home-made and covering... nothing!?

Front of Headstock - note holes where homemade "cover" was. I think it was holding the nut in place, as you can see it fell off when I removed it. Needs glueing back on.

Pick-ups

Rear of Headstock

Back of Neck

Bridge

Pots

Neck Truss rod adjuster at heel

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339160040' post='1684595']
Someone suggested it might be a Kay ^^^up there somewhere.
It's not a Kay.

What's that other hole in the heel of the neck?
[/quote]

I have no idea - it is obviously original to the manufacture as the laquer runs inside it. Laquer in general is a little crazed to say the least so it must have some age to it.

I'd deffo bet a quid on that being a Musima now I've seen those pics. Where yours has the 'K' written on it mine has an 'M' (or 'w' not sure!) and the bridge is exactly the same. The lack of any shielding looks good, too, and the back of the headstock is way too familiar.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1339161157' post='1684623']
I'd deffo bet a quid on that being a Musima now I've seen those pics. Where yours has the 'K' written on it mine has an 'M' (or 'w' not sure!) and the bridge is exactly the same. The lack of any shielding looks good, too, and the back of the headstock is way too familiar.
[/quote]

I was thinking that way, but the pots look fairly original to the bass - wouldn't have expected MIJ pots on a Musima, those East germans liked to do it their way or buy in from Russia. It's a mystery.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1339161238' post='1684626']
From the looks of it, you hadn't wasted your quid. Looks quite nice and if the wood's solid and neck straight - you got yourself a nicle MiJ P. Pickups and hardware looks really solid.
[/quote]

You dont think it's a Musima Immo? I know quite a few wound up in Poland during the Communist period.

The thing about these type of unfinished projects, is that you stand a good chance of getting a real piece of crap. I wish i could convince myself of this though. I have bought 3 in 2 years :)

Good luck with yours.

Keep on keeping on and one day I might find a 62 P bass :D

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1339162508' post='1684656']
The thing about these type of unfinished projects, is that you stand a good chance of getting a real piece of crap. I wish i could convince myself of this though. I have bought 3 in 2 years :)

Good luck with yours.

Keep on keeping on and one day I might find a 62 P bass :D
[/quote]

On the face of it this is a nice P-Bass copy. Definately has some age to it - just be nice to know what it actually is!

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339161840' post='1684645']
You dont think it's a Musima Immo? I know quite a few wound up in Poland during the Communist period.
[/quote]
1. I started to write my post when yours was not posted yet.
2. I'm 25, I was born 4 years before the fall of the communism in Poland and those P-Copy Musimas (Action Bass and Top Star Bass), weirdly, are hard to come by right now.
3. The hardware looked Japanese to me, especially those tuners. I saw identical on some old MiJ bass, don't remember which, but I guess it was Emperador JB or something of that sort.
4. Musima Action had the additional screw to tighten the pickguard to the body right in the middle of the pickguard between A and D string. That was the easiest way to recognize the Musima Action Bass. Top Star, though, had this screw lower, just like this one.

Maybe it's a Top Star bass.... As a matter of fact, it was a top notch East German bass, the best Musima ever did. :D