Why become a member? ×

Newbie to effects!

highwayone

Hi, Only been playing bass for 3 months(past 25 years drumming!) and played my first gig last night! Clueless when it comes to effects. What, if any, do people recommend as a staple diet for effects? i've got a Zoom 708 but it's a bit too technical for me and thinking of having separate pedals instead of an all in one. I'm thinking of adding a compression pedal but not sure what else, no need for wah or weird sounding effects as it's pub rock type stuff! Cheers.

you may not need them for pub rock duties, unless it's a cover of a track that specifically uses bass fx.

if you have an amp that won't do overdrive, then that may be called for.

all depends on what you're playing. if you're into funk, then an auto-wah/envelope filter may be a cool addition.

once you start with fx, you may end up a 'junkie', like some of us.. :D

edit : when i had a crap combo amp, i used an Aphex bass x-citer to beef it up. this pedal doubles as a DI, so is a great little box that you can pick up relatively cheap second-hand.

Edited by phil.i.stein

I had one of those Zoom 708 multi fx chats that you've got. Dig out the manual & learn how to use it, it's not hard when you get past the technophobia.
It's a good way to work out what YOU want. What I use might not suit your style of music (then again, it might be bang on the money).

I would suggest clearing a handful of the patches so there's just one effect on each & play about with it. Then work out what effects you think you're gonna use in your band from there & buy the boxes you need.

Also read Shep's blog on effects (there's 8 parts so far)...

http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/2/11/signal-chain-bassics-part-i-where-to-start.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this as well..I think the chorus sounds like more than 1 bass, overdrive adds more sound I guess, not sure about compressor, and maybe envelope has the crazy effects.is that about right? Any idea about the Ashdown effects pedals? Any combo pedal recommended? Thanks

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338641181' post='1677512']
edit : when i had a crap combo amp, i used an Aphex bass x-citer to beef it up. this pedal doubles as a DI, so is a great little box that you can pick up relatively cheap second-hand.
[/quote]
I use an MXR M-80 for pretty much the same thing. Very handy to have one pedal that can give a bit of grit, EQ and is a DI as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I think ZOOM 708 is good. I agree that it is technical in beginning but good to mess around. Otherwise get the single pedals from boss or even I recommend spend some money in getting something better as effects can sound crap. TC electronic is good for bass effects so is Markbass. the think is that what parameters you deal with in zoom you also deal in single unit effects. I recommend to check out some videos google, youtube videos there are people that explain effects well.
pub rock stuff you need: compressor, maybe chorus, wah? there are option of auto-wah ,distortion maybe even couple of them one for cleaner and one for wetter signal. if you want to be more experimental get MOOG effects but they cost I have some they are super amazing.

I even recommend check out bass player using effect in song if you want specifically sound like someone is easier to find what you want.
Or go to Music store tell them to show you effects and sit down with bass and spend some time before you buy one. when you decide buy one there or look up for it in internet.

( downside of doing it separately it cost more.. but I personally do not look at money getting better sound if I have some money but I am musician)

I actually am selling Roland V-bass older model for £200 it is easy to set up good multi effect with big display and if you get into it It is also midi for bass £220 with cables and roland gig bag I can give you lesson in using it so you understand better. there are all of those effects and much more in it check out some videos on youtube

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' timestamp='1339497540' post='1689216']
I use an MXR M-80 for pretty much the same thing. Very handy to have one pedal that can give a bit of grit, EQ and is a DI as well.
[/quote]

+1 I use my DHA VT-1 EQ for that.

My advice would be to play around with your Multi-effects first to see which effects you need/want/like. My first effects unit was my Korg AX3000B which is being picked up and delivered to pasteurs new this week! Now I have just ordered another, smaller multi-fx in the Zoom B3 which I will use for all the more outlandish effects which I may need once or twice in a set and will fit on my pedalboard without necessitating buying loads more pedals.

Have fun! :D

As above, see what types of effects you like by experimenting with the Zoom first of all, it'll save you a lot of money and hassle on things you might not dig. Personally I could not do without a tuner, compressor, and overdrive, but everything else i mostly give or take... I use a bit of chorus sometimes on quieter passages to fill them out though. Octavers are fun too!

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1338640541' post='1677507']
Hi, Only been playing bass for 3 months(past 25 years drumming!) and played my first gig last night! Clueless when it comes to effects. What, if any, do people recommend as a staple diet for effects? i've got a Zoom 708 but it's a bit too technical for me and thinking of having separate pedals instead of an all in one. I'm thinking of adding a compression pedal but not sure what else, no need for wah or weird sounding effects as it's pub rock type stuff! Cheers.
[/quote]

As someone who has spent many an hour and many, many pennies buying effects...don't buy effects just for the sake of it. Its very easy to look round forums such as this and think "ooh, I need to have some effects" but I'd honestly say that its far too easy to fall into the trap of thinking you need stuff when you don't.

Are there any specific sounds you're trying to achieve? If not, you probably don't need much more than EQ and maybe a touch of dirt for pub rock.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1341053796' post='1713228']
Just had a read through sheps blog and found it really interesting , new to the whole effects thing myself too !
[/quote]

Thank you dude - Means a lot. I'm working on the next Signal Chain BASSics post at the mo! As long as people find it interesting/useful then I'll keep writing.

To the OP - I can only mirror what everyone else has said. I'd stick with the multi effects until you have a really clear picture of what sounds you like and what sounds you have little use for and then when you have that, stick with it a little longer until you know what characteristics of the sounds you love are important to you - So if you decide you REALLY need an Overdrive, think about what tonal properties the OD you like has so you can make a sensible decision about what controls/characteristics the pedals you buy in the future have.

Also worth noting that some multi units have far simpler and more instinctive control set ups and so a 'better' multi unit may be the way to go if you decide you actually like a bit of everything.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1359531873' post='1956096']
Tuner, overdrive, octave, maybe noise gate(if playing loud, it squeals like pig lol)

That's what I would suggest for now..

Dunno about chorus...anyone?
[/quote]
It depends on what sort of music you play & sound you want. I have chorus & use it quite a lot, but if there's another instrument using chorus, things can sound messy.

Yeah I suppose that is what I mean...if there are other effect rich instruments being played at same time, the bass will sound messy.

Also, what's the deal with flange/delay on bass? Never really understood that...

Octave and od/dist fine but delay/flange?? Won't even sound like bass...just incoherent noise