Why become a member? ×

cacking my pants!

If its collect only, if the buyer collects it, by whatever means, then when you hand it over, its done. Its if they pay the seller to courier it after its marked collect only that messes it up, because its whoever makes the contract with the courier that has responsibility, regardless of the requests between the buyer and seller.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1338563824' post='1676450']
well the ad states

A courier is not in person.
[/quote]
Are couriers machines now?
last one I saw was a person.

Don't pack it, let their courier collect it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1338563978' post='1676458']
That doesn't affect the responsibility of the seller to ensure delivery once it is out of their hands. I sent my mum to collect an amp I bought on ebay, if she lost it on the way, its nothing to do with the seller.
[/quote]

if she paid cash, then you are right. If you pay by Paypal then unless the seller can prove delivery then they leave themselves open to a scam.

I'd relist it. It will cost you time and money to pack it. the buyer is a chancer!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1338554418' post='1676261']
What a tit! Ah well, means you can legitimately re-list it, I suppose...
[/quote]

+1.

If an item says collection in person, you've gotta stick to that. If you want to try and convince the seller to post it then ask them before you put your bid in.

Gonna be hassle for you either way mate...unlucky.

But, do you think you'll get more than 50quid for it second time round?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1338565897' post='1676521']
Don't need to prove delivery on a collected item. If the buyer arranges collection, then the collection is where sellers responsibility ends. Nothing to do with evading ebay and paypal rules.
[/quote]

Yes, but how do you prove to ebay/paypal that the item was ever collected? If they pay by paypal and then claim they didn't get it for whatever reason then you're opening yourself to a lot of hassle at best and the loss of your item and your cash at worst. Its not worth the risk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection

^^ cases where sellers got screwed by paypal / cash on collection.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1338566632' post='1676543']
If you want to try and convince the seller to post it then ask them before you put your bid in.

Gonna be hassle for you either way mate...unlucky.
[/quote]
But the buyer is sending UPS to collect.
The buyer is NOT asking the seller to post it.
No more hassle than the buyer collecting.
What's the difference between the buyer collecting and UPS collecting?
NOTHING

The seller is just looking for an excuse to relist coz he got less than he wanted.
Poor form!

Anyway, back to the OP.

If you sell it to this guy, you're going to have to take a hit on the paypal fees, then pay for packaging yourself, go to the hassle of packing it and waiting for a courier to collect it, and all for a measly £50.

If you relist it, with couriering as an option, you can get the buyer to pay all the associated costs of shipping and if couriering is an option you will, more than likely, make a fair bit more than £50.

Or, you can relist it again as collection only but with a reserve.

Selling it to this guy is probably the worst thing you can do!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1338566799' post='1676549']

NOTHING
[/quote]

You mean apart from the seller having to spend his own time, effort, and money to find suitable packing materials and then pack the damn thing (not cheap for a 4x10) and then take a hit on the paypal fees when the guy pays by paypal rather than handing over £50 in person?

Yeah, other than that its not much different. :blink:

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1338566799' post='1676549']
But the buyer is sending UPS to collect.
The buyer is NOT asking the seller to post it.
No more hassle than the buyer collecting.
NOTHING

The seller is just looking for an excuse to relist coz he got less than he wanted.
Poor form!
[/quote]

Kind of lack of getting the packing part of the P&P paid, and the hassle of sorting it generally (the buyer collecting would probably give a better idea of time of day), but as far as ebay is concerned, there is no difference.

But basically, don't list things for a lower price than you want. It's that hard.

Buyer is fully entitled to leave a neutral feedback, probably a reasonably worded bad one, and if they don't co-operate, ebay will keep the selling fees.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1338567416' post='1676565']
Buyer is fully entitled to leave a neutral feedback, probably a reasonably worded bad one, and if they don't co-operate, ebay will keep the selling fees.
[/quote]

No they're not. The auction clearly says "collection in person". Not "I'll spend my own time, effort and money to ensure this thing survives being couriered and then hand it over to your courier, in person".

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338567266' post='1676561']
You mean apart from the seller having to spend his own time, effort, and money to find suitable packing materials
[/quote]
He doesn't though.
Let UPS collect as is...it's not the seller's responsibility once UPS has collected.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1338567634' post='1676572']
He doesn't though.
Let UPS collect as is...it's not the seller's responsibility once UPS has collected.
[/quote]

I'm afraid thats nonsense. If the seller doesn't pack the item properly for a courier then paypal will side with the buyer if it gets damaged.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1338567795' post='1676576']
Refusal to co-operate with an entirely reasonable request to act through the buyer's agent is cheerfully grounds for a neutral feedback.
[/quote]

We clearly have very different definitions of "reasonable request". Boxes big/strong enough to protect a 4x10 are neither cheap nor commonplace. If it was an effects pedal you might have a point---but expecting someone to box a 410 for courier collection (out of their own pocket!!) is by no means "reasonable"

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338567861' post='1676580']
I'm afraid thats nonsense. If the seller doesn't pack the item properly for a courier then paypal will side with the buyer if it gets damaged.
[/quote]
The seller is not contracting the courier, the seller is merely allowing 'someone' to collect the item. It is the person who contracts with the courier who is responsible for its safe passage.

That cab would take minimal preparation anyway...is the seller incapable of negotiating a packaging price with the buyer?

It just seems to me the seller is trying to wriggle out of this coz he feels short changed.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338568023' post='1676583']
We clearly have very different definitions of "reasonable request". Boxes big/strong enough to protect a 4x10 are neither cheap nor commonplace. If it was an effects pedal you might have a point---but expecting someone to box a 410 for courier collection (out of their own pocket!!) is by no means "reasonable"
[/quote]

5 minutes with 10 metres of bubble wrap and some gaffer tape should do the trick

Who said anything of out of their own pocket? Is the seller incapable of negotiation?

I sent a motorcyle exhaust full system with all it's sticky out fragile tubes and stuff with just a small length of bubble wrap and some parcel tape....it got to Edinburgh no problem and I was thanked for the quality of my packing.

Edited by Twigman

I'm afraid the last two pages have just passed me by. I've read it all, but roughly half of it makes no sense at all.

The listing said, and I quote:

Postage & Packing = Free collection in person
Service = Collection in person

I'm NOT a lawyer, but I would cheerfully go to Court on this one.

Sending a courier is NOT collection in person. Sending a courier and expecting the vendor to packup a 40Kg cabinet IS taking the piss.

IMHO, the vendor should invite the purchaser to collect in person, paying cash on arrival, or expect to be reported to eBay for breach.

Chances are if it's not properly packed the courier will refuse to take it. If it was me I would contact the buyer and tell them sorry I damaged it moving it, no longer for sale.
Then I would wait a week and put it on Gumtree and Preloved at £60 local collection only.
To be honest, the buyer has been a bit naughty and dis- respectful putting you in this position.

Oh, forgot to mention, I've been waiting for a courier delivering from SoundsLive. Been here since 7am and still no sign. So much for "it will be with you on Friday" Yeah, thanks Martin :angry:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1338568165' post='1676587']
5 minutes with 10 metres of bubble wrap and some gaffer tape should do the trick
[/quote]

I don't know about you but I don't have 10 metres of bubble wrap lying around. And with a full time job and a young family finding time to get 10 metres of bubble wrap would not be simple.

Why do you expect a seller to jump through a million hoops all so some chancer of a buyer can get a bargain at his expense?