Why become a member? ×

Alligator Combo

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/alligator-bass-combo-/221036188142?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3376c891ee"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3376c891ee[/url]

This looks ace, like a ghettoblaster. Anyone have experience of these?

Edited by Roland Rock

I used an identical one for a few years (early 90's). Nice amp, great quality sound but not very loud - but it will drive an extension cab very well. Heavy because its built into an open fronted flight case and has a fan you can't turn off (but its not very loud). The Volt speakers are fantastic, and well beyond the spec most contemporaries used.

• 9 years later...

Yes, the 2x8” combo was very good on its own, but without an extension cab it was lost in bigger rooms or with loud drummers.  Also, the line out was a mono jack, so linking to a PA needed a DI box to avoid earth loops and hums.  Not a problem now I know these things, but a complete mystery 20 years ago 😂

Yep, that’s them….direct sales, before the interweb thing 😳

The company name was Langois and Son, or something very similar.  Rob Burns gave the combo a good review in the late 80’s Gitartist mag, and I saw one in a shop secondhand not long after.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MGBrown said:

I had one of these. An interesting design, quite lightweight but needing an extension cab for decent gig volume.  And green!

alligator-ac150-vintage-combo-amp_360_27a17b5a5752c66d58c5f4261b972a2d.thumb.jpg.695a3da9a97855d2e6029ae2b9ad6c0c.jpg

That's the model I remember!

A Standby switch! Were these valve amps?

Edited by NikNik

4 minutes ago, alyctes said:

The thread, or the amp?

:)

Both.  I’m trying to decide if it’s worth reviving.  Good quality amp, but heavy for it’s output.  Would make a great home studio “clean” amp, but most people want DI and dirty amp emulation these days. 🤔

• Like 1