Why become a member? ×

The old "do I really NEED effects", or "whats the point in effects" argument...

pantherairsoft

• 2 weeks later...

My general opinion on effects is pretty simple.
If it fits the music, cool! If it actually adds another level to the sound that makes it more interesting, great! Use them!
If a person is just using effects because they're available, and they just sound silly and don't add anything... Not so much.

Of course it's all down to opinion though. My opinion of whether something sounds necessary could and probably would be different to other people.
Like I said though, ^that's my own general rule on the subject!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1354619452' post='1888068']
Not a big fan of the DI then????
[/quote]

Not for the gigs we do. I need a dedeicated bass monitor on stage, so I need an amp. Which is ofcouorse is DI'd to the FOH, I always check my EQ and sound levels via PA or recording desk anyway. The amps EQ controls are there to help me hear myself on stages really.

• 2 months later...
Guest FretNoMore

One person's "tasteful and pleasing" can be another person's "utterly conventional and boring" though. I am very much in the "use effects in a subtle way" camp but I have no problem if others want to go totally overboard. There's always an off switch for stuff I don't enjoy listening to. ;)

What I do with my pedal board at home doesn't have to be brought on stage, my pedals can be both toys and tools. Occassionally fooling around can lead to some useful ideas, but mostly it is of course just killing time and having some fun. If it keeps me playing something at least I get some practice out of it.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1356617955' post='1911681']
I rarely even use EQ of any sort. I have the tone controls on my active bass set flat, and never move the tone controls on the amp more than one or two notches either side of 12'oclock. I dont even ever change the pickup selector or mix - always a 50/50 mix of both pickups. That approach has worked for me in all the bands I've played in: soul, blues, rock.
I also only consume bread and water. I wear only white shirts and black trousers and shoes.
[/quote]

I'll go out on a limb and say that while it's "worked" for you it probably hasn't universally worked for the context of the song or the audiences ears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Guess it depends how you play bass and what you are playing for.

I'd only use effects at a very minimum to enhance a bass sound because essentially it plays the most basic important part in music that no other instrument really does, provide the low bass to fill the sound! That's what I love about the bass.

The guitar is part of of many treble instruments that have a more noticeable range of tones for our ears so it makes sense to have more effects etc.

I can see why you'd use a little effect, it can change the feel/sound in a subtle but important way, but you usually wouldn't want to do much more or it'll lose itself. I'm usually quite happy the way the bass sounds with tone adjustments on it's own. The only pedals I do use occasionally are compressors and short reverb.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1355627699' post='1900770']
"Do I need effects?"- No, of course not.
[/quote]

I wouldn't completely agree - you can play all music genres without effects but some are quite associated with and almost demand signature effects. Electronica, funk, metal, to name a couple where bass effects are commonly used.

well, after I have tried the gr-55 extensively with bass and have decided that if you only use it, then you might use it, but then I'd miss my original basssound so much because mixing the sounds doesn't work properly most of the time because of latency - I decided to use it with my guitars. so for bass, usually I only use compressor, octaver, some kind of overdrive (tube and only sometimes) and an envelope filter. all the rest will stick on my guitar board.... :blush:

[quote name='JXBase' timestamp='1377383362' post='2187026']
Great thread. Guess it depends how you play bass and what you are playing for.

I'd only use effects at a very minimum to enhance a bass sound because essentially it plays the most basic important part in music that no other instrument really does, provide the low bass to fill the sound! That's what I love about the bass.

The guitar is part of of many treble instruments that have a more noticeable range of tones for our ears so it makes sense to have more effects etc.

I can see why you'd use a little effect, it can change the feel/sound in a subtle but important way, but you usually wouldn't want to do much more or it'll lose itself. I'm usually quite happy the way the bass sounds with tone adjustments on it's own. The only pedals I do use occasionally are compressors and short reverb.
[/quote]
Like you say, it depends on the music. Many traditional genres don't require effects on bass (country, folk, jazz, etc), but that doesn't mean they can't be incorporated to good use. Much of the other stuff like electronica, dubstep, breakbeat, funk & trip hop benefit greatly from effects & many couldn't be played how they are without any fx.
I use quite a few effects in the majority of the songs I play.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1377393069' post='2187113']

Well yeah, that's pretty much what the rest of my post said!

'Need' however is a very strong word. It implies a lot more than 'commonly'.
[/quote]

Sorry if my quoting misrepresented what you said, I could/should have included your whole text. I took that sentence because compared to your post (my interpretation) I think I lean slightly more towards effects actually being needed for some music. You can play anything without them, it just may not always sound right or as good as it can do. I think we probably pretty much agree though. ;)

Edited by FretNoMore

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1377427466' post='2187298']I have taken a very pedantic approach to the language in this thread though- none of us 'need' effects in the way we 'need' bass strings to be able to play bass.[/quote]

Oh dear. I hope we don't get into how many of those strings you 'need'.

I once had a guy telling me that nobody 'needs' five strings. I told him nobody 'needs' music.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1377393069' post='2187113']

Well yeah, that's pretty much what the rest of my post said!

'Need' however is a very strong word. It implies a lot more than 'commonly'.
[/quote]

I would say anyone who is having some kind of output problem, such level consistenty, they would 'need' a compressor

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1379484689' post='2213119']
I would say anyone who is having some kind of output problem, such level consistenty, they would 'need' a compressor
[/quote]

or they might NEED a better technique? ;)

I'm amazed this thread is still going! Surely you can just do whatever you want with music, that's half the fun. You don't NEED effects in the same way you don't NEED a bass - the white stripes managed to shift a few records over the years. Presidents of the USA didn't have a bass, and they only used 2 and 3 string guitars... You don't NEED (insert anything here), there are no rules!

But as many have said, I'd like to see someone try auditioning for the role of bassist in a dubstep band with just their trusty P bass, instrument lead and amp, and no FX! :)

Edited by GazWills

• 1 month later...

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1379591287' post='2214496']

or they might NEED a better technique? ;)

I'm amazed this thread is still going! Surely you can just do whatever you want with music, that's half the fun. You don't NEED effects in the same way you don't NEED a bass - the white stripes managed to shift a few records over the years. Presidents of the USA didn't have a bass, and they only used 2 and 3 string guitars... You don't NEED (insert anything here), there are no rules!

But as many have said, I'd like to see someone try auditioning for the role of bassist in a dubstep band with just their trusty P bass, instrument lead and amp, and no FX! :)
[/quote]

Only if that's the cause if the problem, many strings have oddly inconsistent output, and we all know the weird G string issue on stingrays. Also it's far easier to stick a comp in line than to actually work on technique.

I auditioned for a dub band, and they just as to plod with the guitar, a keyboard synth guy did all the crazy stuff.

Edited by Prime_BASS

• 3 months later...

I've got a GR55 and a Bass Podxt with FBV, but I usually run it with the capability to pass-thru straight to the amp when required - good example of when this is useful - I had a GR55 patch with the bass chorus for Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but the bass is in the shop so had to conjure up something on the POD in short order during the intermission. When I kicked off the first bass note, everybody else in the band turned around with the biggest grins on their faces.

Admittedly, that's a really specific song, and it's a cover, but the bass sound on that track on the chorus in particular, with the motifs in there, is a signature of the track: effects can, and do, enhance bass when they work with the song. The old story...