Why become a member? ×

Tiny Heads - Your Opinions, Please

Doctor J

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1338416951' post='1674449']
Actually I've found that my Markbass rig sounds a lot different at higher volumes. You really get the full benefit of those earth shaking lows when you crank it, but you don't lose any of that clarity! The settings I normally have tend to sound a bit thin at low levels..
[/quote]

Yes, I'm currently using my LM250 as a pre with an 1100W power amp, and have the EQ set flat. The VLE and VPF filters combined with a BDI-21 give me everything I need - it's seismic. Dirt with definition... that's going to be my family motto. :D

Actually I've found that my Markbass rig sounds a lot different at higher volumes. You really get the full benefit of those earth shaking lows when you crank it, but you don't lose any of that clarity! The settings I normally have tend to sound a bit thin at low levels..
[/quote]

+1

i'm running a LM 3 at the minute and that plus a traveler 2x10 can easily keep up with the marshall heads and 4x12's in the local rehersal hole
also used that set up for a heavy rock gig the other day (not my normal thing but trying to do as much as a can) and if you boost the low mids you get a lovely agressive tone from it

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1338415817' post='1674431']
The Streamliner looks about right but there seem to be lots of people out there changing the eq valve to make it something a bit more useable, which is a concern.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just the TB tinkerers. Reading into that thread carefully, you can see that any valve changes in tone are minimal in reality. Mine certainly is pretty much perfect with the standard valves.
What is more important with the streamliner is to [u]not[/u] match it with a boomy and/or mid-scooped cab. The amp puts out so much thick bottom that with a cab that is not tight and well-damped in the bottom end, things will become boomy. To clarify, the amp is not boomy, but a cab that cannot cope with much bass will be. The amp also potentially can be a bit hi mid-shy unless you EQ it appropriately. To pair this with a hi mid-scooped cab is not going to be ideal to most folks.

If you can get time, get yourself to somewhere that has a few tiny heads & try a few out (you won't find em at a bodybuilder's meet). So that could be a shop, a Bassbash or just asking about on here to folk that are in your valley.

If you're happy to buy blind, then anything from the likes of Genz Benz, Mark Bass, GK & so on are gonna do an excellent job when put through decent cabs.
Anything after that is down to personal taste. I bought my Mark Bass blind after trying a good dozen or so other rigs out & I couldn't be happier with it.

I've heard the Orange only really does one sound, but that one sound it does really well. Never tried one though.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1338415817' post='1674431']
Indeed. My principal interest here is because I have a pain in my hole lugging stuff around for gigs. If I can get something which sounds decent and fits in a gig bag pocket then I'm a truly happy camper. It doesn't have to be the best sounding amp in the history of the world ever, though obviously it's got to sound good. I will be somewhat forgiving tonally if the size and weight is right. The Streamliner looks about right but there seem to be lots of people out there changing the eq valve to make it something a bit more useable, which is a concern.
[/quote]

If this is your criteria, I can't see you having any problems getting something to suit.

The problem may be if you weren't willing to entertain any compromise at all.

[/quote]

My point exactly... I like the sound at low volume but found it too brittle and too different at high violumes with a hint of it struggling.
Whereas the amp that I have doesn't behave like that at all.
Not saying Markbass are bad..I think the amps are made well...but I don't expect such a difference at higher volume. It means you have to EQ for every gig and that low level EQ experimention is pretty worthless, IME.
Not the worse thing ever about amps, admittedly.. but not something my fave amp does or indeed my old SWR does so much.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1338443555' post='1674557']
i use the ampeg PF500, so far no probs at any gigs, you cant beat a little head onstage :)
[/quote]

Indeed :lol: no issues with it heating up at all then? I've got the crazy-mad idea of having it in between my 1x15 and (castored) 4x10 to get it closer to the floor and (hopefully) less susceptible to being pulled off/drinks damage, but worrying slightly about air flow...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1338461065' post='1674842']
My point exactly... I like the sound at low volume but found it too brittle and too different at high violumes with a hint of it struggling.
Whereas the amp that I have doesn't behave like that at all.
Not saying Markbass are bad..I think the amps are made well...but I don't expect such a difference at higher volume. It means you have to EQ for every gig and that low level EQ experimention is pretty worthless, IME.
Not the worse thing ever about amps, admittedly.. but not something my fave amp does or indeed my old SWR does so much.
[/quote]

I thought that was just the norm with amps :lol: Every other one I've used either lost all the low end, or had to be turned down to get more headroom... or just turned into a muddy mess! Then again other than Markbass I've only used Laney, Trace Elliot, Marshall, Ashdown, Ampeg, and Behringer!

What are you using now?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1338446106' post='1674570']
I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just the TB tinkerers. Reading into that thread carefully, you can see that any valve changes in tone are minimal in reality. Mine certainly is pretty much perfect with the standard valves.
What is more important with the streamliner is to [u]not[/u] match it with a boomy and/or mid-scooped cab. The amp puts out so much thick bottom that with a cab that is not tight and well-damped in the bottom end, things will become boomy. To clarify, the amp is not boomy, but a cab that cannot cope with much bass will be. The amp also potentially can be a bit hi mid-shy unless you EQ it appropriately. To pair this with a hi mid-scooped cab is not going to be ideal to most folks.
[/quote]

I proudly showed our guitarist my Streamliner at a Motown gig, all pointers vertical. Flat tonally, but coincidentally the volumes vertical too (ok the mid frequency was at 11 O'Clock but its a 3 position switch!), into a BF Compact with flats on a P. Couldn't have a more natural sound and it was right on the money.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1338465271' post='1674948']
I thought that was just the norm with amps :lol: Every other one I've used either lost all the low end, or had to be turned down to get more headroom... or just turned into a muddy mess! Then again other than Markbass I've only used Laney, Trace Elliot, Marshall, Ashdown, Ampeg, and Behringer!

What are you using now?
[/quote]

Thunderfunk 550-B. I find this very well engineered and well specced. A more modern take on the old SWR SM amps which also were very well specced with top quality components according to the amp tech who had to work on it..
The only blip was when someone knocked it to the floor....

Been using a PF500 into various cabs including Ampeg 410.Ampeg115,on their own and together,Ampeg 410hlf and an Ashdown mini48.
I`ve used all but the HLF on large roomed wedding gigs and they all sound sweet with the PF and the Ashdown scoring suprisingly high when on a tilt back stand.
I think it`s a little too easy to load the sound with too much low end,which can muddy up your sound, but if you resist the urge you get a very pokey and firm sound that works with fingers and pick.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1338505048' post='1675725']
...I think it`s a little too easy to load the sound with too much low end,which can muddy up your sound, but if you resist the urge you get a very pokey and firm sound that works with fingers and pick...
[/quote]

Yes indeed, one only needs to boost the low end at practice volumes really... at gig levels, I inevitably find a flat EQ works best. With the possible exception of a very minimal low mid boost, depending on venue.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338510283' post='1675772']
Yes indeed, one only needs to boost the low end at practice volumes really... at gig levels, I inevitably find a flat EQ works best. With the possible exception of a very minimal low mid boost, depending on venue.
[/quote]

Totally my experience too