Why become a member? ×

Where to lean/put your bass at a gig?

stefBclef

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1338219457' post='1670991']
You've I am thinking about those times when you don't have a proper stand to hand.

[/quote]

There is no reason why that situation should ever arise. Wherever the bass goes, the stand goes.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1338220257' post='1671009']
markbass do a velcro one that sticks to your cab (if it's carpet covered of course) an dI've seen one that clips onto a table before too...
[/quote]

I saw the markbass one and thought there must be a cheap way of doing it. So I got hold of a couple of Velcro cable ties from a mate, wrapped one vertically around the side handle of my speaker cab and slipped the other one underneath so that it goes horizontally - and then I wrap this around the neck of my bass to hold it upright. It works pretty well.

If it was say a theatre show...

Either in their cases in the locked dressing room or behind my bass rig,
or on a triple Hercules stand behind the rig and out of the lights.
I would have them moved into sight 5 mins before going on, after checking tuning.

At a pub show..
On a triple Hercules stand place behind the PA stack, out of reach of the punters,
or placed side on to bass rig, far side from drums.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1338219781' post='1671002']
I always carry a small towel. About half the size of a tea towel to wipe my hands and clean the strings.
I feed it through the handle on the side of the cab & tie it round the bass neck. Works great, very secure & no need to carry a stand.
[/quote]

Ok I decided to try this the other night. Night before gig I am packing my bag (had to get up for work in a few hours, you know the situation!) and in my sleepy slumber I searched around for an appropriate tying device and I stumbled across a wide strip of elastic (those that you use in physio). For some reason I thought this would work a treat. It did not.

Elastic + bass = rubbish at holding it upright! I really should have guessed that.

I use a foldable K&M stand, around £14. Folds up and weighs next to nowt.
Very strong and surprisingly robust - had a rather erm..large lady fall on it onstage at a local pub gig and it survived that.

Seen too many instruments damaged over the years by being left against an amp/chair/wall etc to not use a stand. Also
don't like the bottom strap button being used to support the bass, going to lead to problems sooner or later.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1343864332' post='1756700']
I bought this stand for no money, its my third one.

It folds flat and goes into my gig bag pocket. Not good for Jazzes.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310138457604?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_998wt_946"]http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_998wt_946[/url]

Perfect
[/quote]

I bought one as well - and yes, perfect!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1343897359' post='1756867']
I use a foldable K&M stand, around £14. Folds up and weighs next to nowt.
Very strong and surprisingly robust - had a rather erm..large lady fall on it onstage at a local pub gig and it survived that.

Seen too many instruments damaged over the years by being left against an amp/chair/wall etc to not use a stand. Also
don't like the bottom strap button being used to support the bass, going to lead to problems sooner or later.
[/quote]

Same here. It folds up and fits easily in my gig bag behind the bass guitar.

If we're the only band I'll sound check and pack away the bass until its time to play. If there's a couple of bands I'll do the same. All it takes is one drunk muppet to grab it/knock it while you're taking a leak or ordering a pint.

(And I really hate musicians who leave their instruments/fx on stage even though another band is on before them. I'm standing on your multi fx? really? how the f*** did that get there? :angry: )

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1341901372' post='1725729']
+1 on this, just buy a headless Status and all your problems are solved ;)
[/quote]

The headed ones have the extra strap button too, just lean them against something and they'll be fine.

Don't know why more manufacturers don't do that, it's a cheap and simple solution.

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/Blackstripe2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338219623' post='1670995']
If there are other bands I put my bass back in its case and out of the way of others. If we're the only band I put it on a mini Hercules stand, out of the way of others.
[/quote]

This. The Hercules mini stands are a great little piece of kit, I take mine everywhere my bass goes.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338219623' post='1670995']
If there are other bands I put my bass back in its case and out of the way of others. If we're the only band I put it on a mini Hercules stand, out of the way of others.
[/quote]

THIS big time.
Someone pinched the strap of my bass at a multi-band gig. Good job i had a back up but it was a gorgeous leather one i had for many yrs.
I also use the mini Hercules.
Dave

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1342134486' post='1730374']
If it was say a theatre show...

Either in their cases in the locked dressing room or behind my bass rig,
or on a triple Hercules stand behind the rig and out of the lights.
I would have them moved into sight 5 mins before going on, after checking tuning.

At a pub show..
On a triple Hercules stand place behind the PA stack, out of reach of the punters,
or placed side on to bass rig, far side from drums.

[/quote]

That's a weird bass set up. 2 Trace and a full Hartke rig. What kinda music are you playing. ?

Regards the towel query - I've been using an old beer towel "borrowed" from a friendly bar i frequented once. Also golf towels are a neat size too

Saw Alain Carron using a velcro style strap on side of his Roland stack to hold his basses. Don't know what type it was though.

Dave

Dave

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1344118130' post='1760177']
Give it to the drummer and tell him "count to 9 and then put it down wherever you want". 2hrs later he's still holding it.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1344118497' post='1760181']
:lol: That's drummist!
[/quote]

Oh you can't be doing that on here. One of my [s]haters who be hatin'[/s] ... er... forum associates had a big hairy fit on me when I told a variation on the drummer joke on here not so long ago. I sure got my ass handed to me that day. I was duly informed that some of the best musicians in existence are drummers.

I later told this story to my best mate (who also happens to be the best musician I've ever played with).... he's my drummer btw. :D :D

• 2 weeks later...