Why become a member? ×

Most embarrassing moment on stage,

funkgod

I was just reading the very funny onstage cockups thred, and thought of this.
one of mine is
when i was playing at a party about 25years ago in a rock covers band,
befor we all went back on for the 2nd set i went on and did a bass solo,
i was trying to look cool and had on a pair of sunglasses, about half way through
as i looked up one of the lenses fell out, the whole pub creased up, even i gave up and fell laughing.
all through the 2nd set the band took turns wearing the now sunglass and could not stop laughing ! BUT i did get a free beer out of it when a guy got me one saying he felt sorry for me and was the funniest thing he had seen. AAAHHH the days

The crippling realisation through my first gig when I realised I only knew how to play 2 out of 7 of the songs. This explains the puzzled/terrified facial expression in my picture!

The sunglasses thing reminds of when I saw Protest the Hero. Someone in the crowd handed Arif (bassist) their sunglasses to wear on stage, he took them and wore them for maybe a minute then put them on top of his amp. Once the set was finished he went upto the amp, put the shades back on and walked off stage and all you could hear was one poor sod in the crowd say "I need them!"

The last gig I played, during one of our songs our guitar player switches from acoustic to electric half way through. Everything sounded great, until it was time to rock out the electric which he had somehow tuned half a tone down from the rest of the band. Watching 100 or so people cover their ears when it kicked in was pretty embarrassing!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1338200475' post='1670616']
The crippling realisation through my first gig when I realised I only knew how to play 2 out of 7 of the songs. This explains the puzzled/terrified facial expression in my picture!
[/quote]

Ah, now that's an easy one - turn the bass down and pretend, principally by rocking out on stage. Most punters will remain oblivious... and quite often the band, thus confirming how much they genuinely listen to the bass parts.

I couldn't do it now, but in some bands... ;)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338205020' post='1670711']

Ah, now that's an easy one - turn the bass down and pretend, principally by rocking out on stage. Most punters will remain oblivious... and quite often the band, thus confirming how much they genuinely listen to the bass parts.

I couldn't do it now, but in some bands... ;)
[/quote]

Sadly I'm one of those 'unable to move on stage' types, I enjoy standing withing a 2 square foot box on the stage :)

[quote name='jay' timestamp='1338202047' post='1670651']
The last gig I played, during one of our songs our guitar player switches from acoustic to electric half way through. Everything sounded great, until it was time to rock out the electric which he had somehow tuned half a tone down from the rest of the band. Watching 100 or so people cover their ears when it kicked in was pretty embarrassing!
[/quote]

That sounds like the EVH tour a year or 2 back, where someone made a mistake with the synth intro part for JUMP and it started between pitch intervals, so that not only did Eddie play badly out of tune, but there was no recovery possible either.

Playing with Eastfield last year, one of my favourite punk bands - if I recall correctly they were watching us play, making it embarassing when I stepped off the stage to jump around a bit and pulled my lead out in the process. Took me about ten seconds before noticing :(

Our first big gig - we hired a large concert hall in Widnes and put on our own show with us as headliners. The whole shebang was being videoed and I executed the stock rock bassist poses as we launched in to our first song. Took a step back and tripped over my chorus pedal. Didn't fall flat on my arse but managed to stagger back in to the bass stack which stopped me from falling over. Very embarrassing :blush:

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1338229251' post='1671230']
Playing with Eastfield last year, one of my favourite punk bands - if I recall correctly they were watching us play, making it embarassing when I stepped off the stage to jump around a bit and pulled my lead out in the process. Took me about ten seconds before noticing :(
[/quote]

It wouldn't be punk without at least one major f*** up!

Far too many to recall without cringing, but here is a very recent one.
Outdoor gig on Sunday, the natty gazebo we put up to keep the sun off blew upside down mid-way through a song. It wasn't even an upbeat song either.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/woopsc.jpg/][IMG]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/549/woopsc.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Fairly mild and probably only I noticed, a fair few years ago when I was touring as a pro I was playing an auditorium in Germany. The singer had been complaining during the soundcheck that the band were too loud on stage so as the soundcheck finished I hit the standby switch and asked if that was ok now?

First three numbers were odd as I could hear the bass in the hall but it seemed inaudible to me on stage (I hadn't requested bass in my monitor mix) and just couldn't figure out what was wrong but sensed I was the only one suffering - everyone in the band had their own mix and so didn't need my backline.

Eventually the penny dropped and I shuffled back to the amp and pushed the standby switch - problem solved!!