Why become a member? ×

SWR Goliath Sr 6X10 vs Ampeg SVT 410HLF

Gamble

I'm currently using an SWR Goliath Sr 6X10, I A/B tested it against the Ampeg SVT 610 when I bought it and chose it for the clarity over the Ampeg. I figured I could get that nice bright hi-fi sound out of the SWR that I wasn't getting so much from the Ampeg, but I should also be able to get the SVT's more dubby sound from it too. I think they both have the same hi and low frequency responce on paper but the Ampeg seemed to have more of a middle scoop to it. I figured this made it less versatile.
I love my nice shiney 6X10, it's bigger than most people's bass cabs and it looks great, so it usually turns a few heads. I'm also quite attached to it because of my history with it, I got salmonella from a restraunt along with 40 other people at a family meal. I got a tidy payout which I spent on my cab and rack-tuner, which I'd probably never have forked out for otherwise.
I don't play covers anymore and I'm thinking that an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF might suit my current bands' styles a bit better. On paper it's got better low response than the SWR (48hz compared to 55hz @ -3dB) which would be an advantage as I play a Warwich Thumb 5 with all the strings de-tuned by a tone and a half in one of my bands, but in the other band I play a MIM Fender Jazz 5 in concert pitch.
The Ampeg's not a bad looking cab, and it's big for a 4X10 but I really like having that chrome grill and 6 speakers behind me (now I sound really vain!) because it's a little bit different. Basically I fell in love with the SWR for the image, not the right reason to own a cab, I know, but thems are the breaks.
The other issue is power handling. The 6X10 I already own is rated 4ohm and 1000w RMS (although I didn't think you could wire 6 speakers to give 4ohm impedance) and the 410HLF is rated 4ohm and 500w RMS. I use a QSC PLX1602 power amp in my rig, 1600w into 4ohm or 1100w into 8ohm bridge-mono, 800w into 2ohm, 500w into 4ohm and 300w into 8ohm per side in stereo. I know that ties up perfectly to the Ampeg cab in stereo, but as I said above, I don't know if the 4ohm rating on the SWR is correct due to the ammount of speakers in the enclosure so I'm concerned about losing volume. The de-tuned band I play in are pretty loud, and it's nice not having to worry about keeping up with the skinny-stringers! If I could find the space at home I'd consider getting a pair of the 4X10's to stack and get 500w into each, but if I could find the space I could keep the 6X10 and get a 4X10 aswell!

I don't know what to do.

The 4X10 sounds like the right way to go, but I almost don't want it to because I'm so attached to my 6X10. How much would I regret selling the 6X10 if I decided to make the change? Do I have to stop being a tart and just think about the sound and not be sentimental? Are there any factors I haven't taken into consideration yet? Do any of you have any advice on the matter? Please help me. This isn't a decision I need to make fast (I need a new car first!) but any input would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers!

[quote name='Gamble' post='180840' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:31 AM']Do I have to stop being a tart and just think about the sound and not be sentimental? Are there any factors I haven't taken into consideration yet? Do any of you have any advice on the matter? Please help me. This isn't a decision I need to make fast (I need a new car first!) but any input would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers![/quote]
Go for the tone; the sound that's going to make you play to your very best.. Because at the end of the day, that's the most important thing.

The sound of your bass through your rig should inspire you and help take your playing to another level... If that means go for the Ampeg, then that's what you've got to do!

Good luck with it..

Gamble! How do buddy? Can't believe you're getting tired of the SWR, it's an awesome cab (but I would be biased as I was there helping you choose between that and the horrible Ampeg 6x10 :huh: ).

If I were you, i'd try and get into the same scenario you had before. Where you've got your amp in the store and you can A/B compare the Ampeg 410HLF with your existing cab.

I also wouldn't buy anything until Soundtech.co.uk start to distribute the new range of [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1941&brandID=3"]Hartke Hydrive cabs[/url]. If I hear anywhere in Essex that stocks them I'll give you a buzz and we can go shopping together again :) .

Edited by peted

I would be very loathe to get rid of the SWR if you like the cab

I have the older version of the SWR 6x10 and it sounds great. It moves loads of air and has plenty of headroom – which is important when you are playing in a loud band!

You have to ask yourself if a new cab is really going to sound better in the context of a loud band. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest that a quality 6x10 is better than a 4x10 (assuming that you can cart the damn thing around)!

I'm sure that you could spend the money on a new (or spare) amp or another bass...!!

Yeah mate, I'm always collecting, even if it's just cheap basses that look cool. I'm thinking about the Aphex rack mount Aural Exciter at the moment, thinking that might get a fatter sound from my current rig - maybe replace my compressor, but that's another thread!!

Like you said, I'd be gutted to get rid of the SWR. I think I got onto the idea of a change because a smaller cab would be easier to transport (read as "lift into my car by myself") but it's not a huge issue most of the time. That, and I could get a pair of 4X10's, but I just can't store a pair at the moment.

As my good friend Peted says, it'd be a case of getting a decent A/B comparison going and making an informed decision from there.

Cheers for your input guys, I really appreciate it!

You have to go sound over image surely?? If it were the other way round people are just going to look at you and say "there's the guy with all the gear but he sounds terrible"...

If the Ampeg sound is for you then go for it, but I'd imagine they were designed to be compatible with the very distinctive Ampeg head sound.

Well for my twopeneth, I've got the 410HLF and I really rate it. Its the only 410 that can deal with the power levels you're talking about. I run it solo with an SVT4 and it copes fine.
I think I'm right in saying that the SWR is only slit ported, whereas the Ampeg has some fairly cavernous holes in it. Thats quite a difference.
Curiously the Ampeg is only 5lb lighter that the SWR - they are built like tanks.

I know what you mean about the look of the SWR, but I echo the points of other posters when I say it IS all about the sound, and lets face it, you aren't going to lose too much streetcred with an Ampeg logo behind you!?!? In my experience the HLF cabs have attracted some interested parties themselves - generally from bassists/guitarists who can't believe you're getting that much sound from a single (heavy) cab.

Its all about the partnership with the head that you've got. Go demoing, its fun.

(and by the way I've got my SVT rig for sale at the mo if you're interested) [shameless plug! :) ]

I'm playing an SVP Pro pre-amp into the QSC into the 6X10, it's a nice combination. The clear sound from the cab really punts out the ampeg tone, shame I don't have a valve power stage but I don't have the bionic spine I'd need to carry my rack either! Plus I need the headroom too. I don't actually use the EQ on my pre-amp at the moment, never have done - it sounds good without going near it so I've just left it bypassed. I'd forgotten it was there infact, so I think I should probably give that a tweak soon too.
It's not that the SWR sounds bad by any means, I just thought the smaller cab might be easier to deal with, and maybe give me a bit more of that big, smooth booming tone that Ampeg rigs tend to have.
I'll try fiddling with the gear I've got some more for now then think about trying the other cab out if I don'y get much joy. I don't use my own amp at rehearsals at the moment so I only ever get 5 mins to set it up at gigs which isn't really enough, might book myself a soundproof room for a few hours..... :)