Why become a member? ×

As a bass player you can have one type of guitar- what would it be

LukeFRC

well it looks like some point the acoustic may be on it's way away and I'll keep the electric...

which I just wired up coil taps too! woo! :) like having several guitars in one now! v exciting.

I'd say one acoustic and one electric is the absolute minimum. For me that would be a mid 80s Yamaha FG and an early 60s Fender Strat. Which is a bit bizarre, mostly because just 3 of the 150+ guitars in my possession are Strats or Strat clones.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1339205396' post='1685433']
I'd say one acoustic and one electric is the absolute minimum. For me that would be a mid 80s Yamaha FG and an early 60s Fender Strat. Which is a bit bizarre, mostly because just 3 of the 150+ guitars in my possession are Strats or Strat clones.
[/quote]

you have that many guitars! wow! :)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1339245947' post='1685814']
I also own an electro acoustic guitar.
I like the rhythms that seem to work when playing acoustic.
[/quote]

There's nowhere to hide with an acoustic. Improves technique no end.

If I could have any guitar... probably my brother's Strat.
Owned from new - it's a '94/95 Japanese '54 reissue - back from the Fender Japan owner was a proper pre-CBS Fender fanatic - so everything's spot on apart from the pick-ups (and the finish, but that just looks cool), which had to be rubbish of course to make the USAs seem better. ;)
Swap the p'ups out for some Seymour Duncans and you have one very very nice Strat. The '54 neck profile on this is perfect. :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

I'm the sole vote for a resonator. My logic is totally skewed but it's the one type of guitar I've never played even though I love the sound. So if I can only have one I might as well try something new :)

At the moment I have three guitars. My original one which is an Epiphone FR-15 acoustic from the late 1970's, super low action and crisp sound, a Tanglewood twelve string with a piezo (not bad but I prefer to use a mike rather than the piezo) and a chinese resin back Ovation copy which I got for a song at a trade show. It's my "it doesn't matter if it gets wet, beer spilt etc" guitar which actually has a decent acoustic sound. The piezo is a waste of time but I only use it really as a pub guitar so it tends not to get plugged in.

Steve

Edited by oggiesnr

As much as I love playing electric, I've recently noticed it's possible to make money busking/hosting open mic nights and such... my poor electroacoustic has no idea how many shocking cover attempts are going to hit it on the streets of Liverpool while I'm off uni for summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Could I not have two? :( I'd have an Acoustic 12 with an Ashworth pickup in there, preferably John Hullah, Fylde or Martin, and then the Warmoth Telecaster my father recently laid his hands on

[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/goblin92/56e53efe.jpg[/IMG]

My big interest is processing electric guitar (among other things) through software, namely Max/MSP. I'd choose electric over the others purely for its receptiveness and being manipulated. Here is my Mexican '62 Reissue that I recently had modified by a friend. I love it :) https://yfrog.com/nz9k8ksj:tw1

That being said though, I would really love a resonator...

Edited by JeSuisSkeleton

[quote name='JeSuisSkeleton' timestamp='1341437561' post='1719203'] My big interest is processing electric guitar (among other things) through software, namely Max/MSP. I'd choose electric over the others purely for its receptiveness and being manipulated. Here is my Mexican '62 Reissue that I recently had modified by a friend. I love it :) https://yfrog.com/nz9k8ksj:tw1 That being said though, I would really love a resonator... [/quote]

I'll admit, as a bass player- that just looks like a strat to me. I was expecting 12 pickups and loads knobs or something

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341481325' post='1719625']
I'll admit, as a bass player- that just looks like a strat to me. I was expecting 12 pickups and loads knobs or something
[/quote]

It was originally white 'vintage' (cheap) hardware. Stock pickups, single-ply pickguard, and horrible vintage tuners that didn't hold the strings in well at all. I had the pickups, pickguard and tuners replaced. Essentially it is still just a Strat, but it's the Strat I always wanted it to be, so I'm happy with it :)

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1440&bih=809&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=Zp84goxfX1qMGM:&imgrefurl=http://giordanoguitar.com/2010/07/05/sixty-years-of-the-fender-telecaster/&docid=g4sE-VLOysUeeM&imgurl=http://giordanoguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/0150066800v3_xl1.jpg&w=500&h=750&ei=CRH7T8rdI-nH0QXTueWzBw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=456&sig=115897938436459438687&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=113&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:73&tx=58&ty=105"]http://www.google.co...73&tx=58&ty=105[/url]

Have to be one of these bad boys. fender tele!

Edited by Lord Sausage

Over the years I've had a Danelectro U2, a Squier Standard Strat, and Epiphone Les Paul Standard Gold top (which I won in a competition and subsequently traded for), a Squier Telecaster Custom and an Epiphone G400 in worn brown that I picked up off Gumtree for 80 quid. None of these guitars are still with me, but I wish I still had a few of them. Actually, the only one I never got one with was the Tele Custom because of the slab body. The U2 was a whole heap of fun and was light as anything, the Strat was lovely to play but in my younger years I had a Blink-182 phase and decided candy apple red was the way forward, the maple neck was really comfy though and aged in a really nice way. The Gold Top is probably the one I wish I'd kept most, I was in uni at the time and had a phone call from home to say that someone from a guitar mag had called to arrange delivery of of it and it was being delivered to my uni house the next day. It was perfect, I loved the look, sound and feel of it, it even came with a hard case. To this day I still don't know why, but I traded it in a local guitar store in Ayr for the Tele Custom, not an even trade by any means, I can't even feel taken advantage of because it was my own stupidity/naivety that led me to trade it. After a week I took the Tele back and said it wasn't for me and asked if I could swap back (it was still in store condition and had all the tags etc). The store owner said I could swap back but I'd have to pay £100, because the Gold Top was worth far more than the Tele. Being a poor student I couldn't afford it, so I was stuck with the Tele for a few months more until I punted it. The G400 was nice as well, the tuners were a bit slippy and the neck dive was atrocious, but it was good to play and nicely built. Eventually I'll get another guitar, but I'll not be able to afford one for a good wee while :(

Edited by Jono Bolton

• 2 weeks later...

I voted electric but it wasn't easy! I have a very nice Larrivee OM50 acoustic worth more than any of my electric guitars but if I could only PLAY electric or acoustic I would have to choose electric- my Tokai strat, cheap to buy but amazing to play. I also have 2 banjos (one is a fretless 'mountain' banjo), 3 ukuleles (one is a gourd banjo uke) and a mandolin. I love playing all of them but at the moment the 'strat' gets the most attention.