Why become a member? ×

Further question on Ohmage and Impedence.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I just need a few things cleared up.

I have a Marshall rackmount amp. On the back it says 200watt 4ohm min output, it has two speaker outputs.

Can i plug a 4 ohm speaker in each port? Or would it still add up to 2ohms like it would if you daisychained the two cabs to one speaker output?

Also if i decided to replace the speakers in a 2x10 8 Ohm cab. Would i use two 16ohm speakers? Or two 8ohm speakers to acheive the 8ohm level?

Please answer in laymans terms. I want to take out the low powered drivers in a Hartke Tp series and put Eminence deltas in them.

Cheers. Rob.

I don't know what the Americans have told you, but here's my laws of physics without knowing the amps or cabs you mention:

There are two main ways to connect multiple speakers via cabling alone. In series, or in parallel.

In parallel, the easiest way to think of it, if you use equal impedance drivers, is that you halve the impedance when you add two toogether. For example, an 8 ohm driver plus an eight ohm driver would equal a total 4ohm load. This is not so simple if you were trying to wire an 8ohm driver in parallel with a 6ohm one, and there is a formula to follow, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

In series, you effectively add the impedances up, so 8 ohm plus 8 ohm would be a 16 ohm load.

In answer to your direct questions, plugging a 4 ohm cab into each socket is likely to be a parallel connection and give you a 2ohm overall, so not good for your amp. Unless Marshall do something clever with your wiring, it will have the same effect as plugging one cab in and then daisy chaining to the next, It's all parallel wiring.

If you are replacing drivers with 2x16 ohm drivers, then in each cab these would need to be wired in parallel to give you 8ohm total per cab. (If you wired in series, you'd end up with 32ohm).

You could then parallel two cabs to get a total of 4ohms.

That is all from my rusty electronics memory, and hopefully matches with America. If not, and I got something wrong, I'm happy to be flamed!