Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire's bass question

4 Strings

He did an interview for Star licks which was released on video in which he goes through most of the basses he uses. There is an interesting
extended scale Tobias 4 string on there.

The video isn't a great watch as the guy doing the interviewing is really cheesy and Chris seems to be humouring him a bit.

Edited by gelfin

I think it is also well documented that Squire feels that the sound characteristics of his original ric is also a bit unique due to the amount of wood that's been sanded off it when it has gone through a few refinishes. He mentions that the body is noticeably thinner now than when it was new. I think you also have to take into consideration the stuff he was playing that ric through on the early Yes material, not the typical amp/speaker set up that a lot of players might use and I can't believe it didn't make a difference to the final sound.

Edited by KevB

I heard Dan Lakin say that when he dropped Chris off his silver Lakland Bob Glaub at a gig in Chicago he was shocked to hear Chris play it that night and sound exactly the same as he does when he plays his Rickenbacker despite it being a different style of bass .

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1360344518' post='1969102']
Stunning Playing from Nige, I didn't have him down as a Yes man!
[/quote]

+1 on that . Great choice of song , great sound and perfect execution . I am trying to teach myself how to use a pick at the moment - something that doesn't come easy to me after 30 odd years playing with fingers . Seeing Nige here , I've got a long , long way to go .

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337948842' post='1667866']
Have a listen to 'The Gates of Delirium' from Relayer - def Jazz
Compare to 'Roundabout' (and, of course 'The Fish') from Fragile - there's your Rick.

btw, any other animal name bass players to add to this and The Ox?
[/quote]thank the lord roundabout was ric n pic.....i couldnt carry on if that was fendered....

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337948842' post='1667866']
Have a listen to 'The Gates of Delirium' from Relayer - def Jazz

[/quote]
Do you reckon? I know he was using that Maestro Brassmaster around that time which might account for this different tone but I'm sure that's still a Rick. Interesting.............

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1337968324' post='1668243']

I'd heard about the Tele bass too on that tune. His ex-wife ran off with that and the 21 fret Rick and put them up for auction years later.
[/quote]

The 21 Fretter popped in Music Ground on a commission sale. Some eagle-eyed fella spotted it and next thing it was all over the RRF forum where the excitable little souls over there gor themselves into a right froth over it. But, with their assistance and that of a big CS fan, the bass was retrieved. [url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=382355"]It's an interesting read.[/url]

only being recently convereted to a yes fan,always thought the were over contrived but the wife loves em!,and prefered genesis!! but i always liked fragile and a music teacher lent me the album in about 82-83 and i liked it id just picked up the bass so knew sod all about sod all!! but loved the the bass on roundabout,i always thought it was slapped,and thought one day ill play that line.....still havent!!,ive just listened to the isolated track on utoob...with a ric n pic he his just as funky as any of the slappers...victor...stanley...bootsy...king....if u watch him he seems kinda awkward in his playing,not very technical,but maaaaan what a sound he creates....last christmas me n the mrs played yes all christmas night,in stead of eastenders!!...i must admit...i do get a bit of a chubby listening to mr squire!!

There was a discussion on RRF about whether the bass in the first part of the clip is 'the bass' prior to its cream refinish. There is also some sign that this might be after the first headstock injury (of which there are accounts that say the very first break was in 1970 by the way, with a further break around 1974), as it looks like CS is using a capo to maintain an angle behind the nut. You can see this at the 5 minute point. Squire said that the bass was still usable after the first break as there was no headstock movement once the bass was strung.

Edited by jonsmith

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 25/05/2012 at 10:39, 4 Strings said:
Cosmo Valdemar said:

Gates is the Rick isn't it? Sound Chaser and To Be Over is the Jazz.

What about Red Barchetta? ;)

You're right. Rick for Gates, just had a listen, was thinking of a different track before. The other two are a Jazz.[/quote]

Only "To Be Over' is a Fender Jazz.   Gates and Sound Chaser are definitely Ricks.

Edited by krabapple

21 hours ago, krabapple said:

Only "To Be Over' is a Fender Jazz.   Gates and Sound Chaser are definitely Ricks.

He stated in an interview that he used specifically used a Fender on To Be Over because he wanted a somewhat more supportive, traditional bass sound on that (or words to that effect), so you are correct. 

He does sound great on his Jazz though. Parallels is a superb sound, as is the low part on The Fish (apparently also the Jazz).

When I was trying to emulate C.S. I had a '72 Jazz Bass & was using Ernie Balls rounds. RotoSounds were astronomical. Thru a Fender Bassmann with a 2x15 cab. Turned ALL THE WAY UP. Tried to play w/ a pick but they kept flying outa my hand. I just played really hard with my fingers. 

Another integral part of his sound was the use of a plectrum, with the follow through of the thumb. Almost a double track effect. But more than his sound, to me at least, is his sometimes odd note placement. Sometimes offbeat, sometimes on and his use of space. Great bassist, one of the true innovators and inventive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Another integral part of his sound was the use of a plectrum, with the follow through of the thumb. Almost a double track effect. But more than his sound, to me at least, is his sometimes odd note placement. Sometimes offbeat, sometimes on and his use of space. Great bassist, one of the true innovators and inventive.

I know I repeat myself when under stress, but... "Total Mass Retain" tells it all. Stunning!
(for the uninitiated, that's the second movement of "Close to the Edge".)

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 13:33, mikel said:

I've always taken that with a pinch of salt. If you pick the string then hit it with your thumb you get a pinch harmonic - something CS certainly used as an effect from time to time, but it certainly wasn't a main part of his usual tone. 

If you look at the Master Licks (?) Video on YouTube CS describes and demonstrates thd technique.