Why become a member? ×

Markbass R500

niceguyhomer

I tried one of the new Markbass R500's today - which I think is basically a LMII with a valve in the preamp and, without any doubt in my mind I'll say it's the best sounding head I've ever heard. I would have bought it there and then but it was a demo model (and by the looks of it, had been for a while) and he didn't have another boxed one.

If you're in the market for a hybrid amp try one.

I used a Lakland DJ (similar to mine). I was ABC'ing it with a LMII and an F1. The F1 was very good but I couldn't hear anything to justify the extra - well near enough £200 over the LMII TBH so that was a non-starter for me.

The R500 just had a beautiful 'valvey' tone - warmer and grittier than the LMII, I particularly liked the sound up the dusty end and wished I had my Wizard Thumper / TI flats loaded Precision with me to try it. It was very light and beautifully simple to use - I don't like knobs, dials and flashing lights.

I'm definitely buying one of these but I'm gonna wait and see if the price comes down a bit later in the year.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Yeah makes sense in waiting for the price to drop a bit. I can see me picking one up at some point as well. Whatever the case though it's a lot cheaper than the classic 300 anyway!

How's the lows on it Al? I know they're centred at 80Hz. I presume this gives a nice tight bottom?

Haven't happened to have tried a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 have you? For a comparison between the two as that seems like its major rival and they seem to be a huge hit over on talkbass, ortho the chaps over there do seem to get caught up in the moment a tad.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='181221' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:45 PM']Yeah makes sense in waiting for the price to drop a bit. I can see me picking one up at some point as well. Whatever the case though it's a lot cheaper than the classic 300 anyway!

How's the lows on it Al? I know they're centred at 80Hz. I presume this gives a nice tight bottom?[/quote]

The bottom end sounded really tight to my ears, the overal sound is rich and warm with a hint of compression, it was love at first twang. If my missus hadn't dragged me out of the store I would still be playing through it now. Bitch.

I was hoping to try a Shuttle Suggs but they're as rare as well...a rare thing and every dealer I spoke to about them had sold most if not all of the stock they had on order.

Edited by niceguyhomer

I am thinking of expanding my amp rig with a lightweight head. I like a rock tone that is overdriven (not fuzzy but gritty) and play in a punk band. I understand the Little Mark II, though a great amp, is very clear and clean, and I think I need something with a tube preamp.

ence was thinking about the R500 and also a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo (so giving option to remove head to use with my 6x10).

Do you think the R500 is up to that sort of Damned/Motorhead/Metallica type overdriven sound? Or indeed the Mesa (suspect the answer is definitely yes to the latter given two tubes in preamp)?

Would appreciate your insights. Thx Clarky

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='181456' date='Apr 20 2008, 11:34 PM']I'd say it would be better for rock than a LMII or a W/A Scout. It does have that tube warmth without sounding overdriven and I would have thought it would be right up your alley but you better try one Clarky. One man's meat and all that. :)[/quote]
Hi there, well I've gone and ordered an R500 from Mark at Bass Direct. Won't hold you responsible if I don't get on with it :huh: But seriously everything about it appeals to me, the weight/portability, the look, the simple tone controls, the tube preamp, the specific "rock" purpose, so I can't believe I won't love it!

Will probably spell the end for my great-sounding but a-bit-too-heavy Tech 21 head if its as good as I think it is going to be and also my Sansamp BDDI - so a warning these may appear in the FS section before long!

Not technically minded but will post my thoughts on it once I've had a good play.

ATB Clarky

You'll really notice the difference of having that valve-pre at higher volumes. I've been using the MB TA503 for over a year and I've been very impressed with it's overall performance, it's been great in rehearsals, on stage and in the studio. That valve pre has made it just that bit more versatile for my bass playing needs.

I'm sure you'll love it Clarky but if you don't, let me know and I'll give you £500 for it ;)

Just kidding mate :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='181851' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:22 PM']Hi there, well I've gone and ordered an R500 from Mark at Bass Direct. Won't hold you responsible if I don't get on with it :huh: But seriously everything about it appeals to me, the weight/portability, the look, the simple tone controls, the tube preamp, the specific "rock" purpose, so I can't believe I won't love it!

Will probably spell the end for my great-sounding but a-bit-too-heavy Tech 21 head if its as good as I think it is going to be and also my Sansamp BDDI - so a warning these may appear in the FS section before long!

Not technically minded but will post my thoughts on it once I've had a good play.

ATB Clarky[/quote]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='181877' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:52 PM']I'm sure you'll love it Clarky but if you don't, let me know and I'll give you £500 for it ;)

Just kidding mate :)[/quote]
Well that would be par for the course for me! Don't tell that to my wife though :huh:

Hello - I've bought a Markbass R500 to cover reliabilty issues with my Walkabout (another story). :)

I'm not good with words, nor am I a technical author - but here goes.

Walkabout failed in sound check of recent gig - Plugged in R500.

I played through this amp with a MM Bongo 'HH' 4 and as always used a plectrum, and it was plugged into two Aguilar GS112 cabs.

The band play general functions and we perform a variety of Rock, Funk and Disco numbers. This amp is simple to operate, 'Bit more bass?' turn up the Bass 'a bit middy?' back off the mids etc...

IMHO This amp has one of the best 'all round' Bass tones currently avaliable in a single box, warmth drive, punch and other good descriptive words.

For what I'm required to do it is a fine amplifier - It's a bitch and I'm her Master :wub:

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='188053' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:11 PM']Hello - I've bought a Markbass R500 to cover reliabilty issues with my Walkabout (another story). :)

I'm not good with words, nor am I a technical author - but here goes.

Walkabout failed in sound check of recent gig - Plugged in R500.

I played through this amp with a MM Bongo 'HH' 4 and as always used a plectrum, and it was plugged into two Aguilar GS112 cabs.

The band play general functions and we perform a variety of Rock, Funk and Disco numbers. This amp is simple to operate, 'Bit more bass?' turn up the Bass 'a bit middy?' back off the mids etc...

IMHO This amp has one of the best 'all round' Bass tones currently avaliable in a single box, warmth drive, punch and other good descriptive words.

For what I'm required to do it is a fine amplifier - It's a bitch and I'm her Master :wub:[/quote]
+1 :huh: