Why become a member? ×

** SOLD **Vintage 1950s Framus bass....

I'm going to pull the trigger on a bass geetar. So I need to move one of the family on...

Hard to choose which should go first, but here goes, the big old 7/8 Framus.
Offers around £1150. Collection from west London. Tom and Will gig bag included.

Pros: It has astonishing carved-bass tone - deep, rich and by far the loudest of all my basses, acoustically. I play it with SilverSlaps to keep that amazing pizz tone and projection. The sustain and definition beats the Kay and King Mortone hands down.
The fingerboard is a well seasoned, non-ebonised hardwood (rose-wood or maple?), with a very forgiving soft click. Innovation strings do not sound boingy and twangy on this bass, as they do on some.
It has an amazing easy action, butter soft strings makes it very easy to play.
It also looks DAMN cool on stage.

Cons: It is big, and quite heavy. 7/8 size (LOUD BOOOOM!). Not so easy to play lying on your back, which is a pre-requisite for my gigging basses. Can't think of any others.
No label inside, so no serial number ... but the Framus Museum themselves confirmed it very likely was Framus.

Why would I sell this one first? Tough choice. I think it's just the one I'm least attached to. It probably sounds better than any of the other three. If I played acoustically pizz at all I wouldn't pass it on ... but I'm always amplified, so that tone is kind of wasted.

If I had the cash and the space to keep them all I would. But I've been itching for one of these for ages...

:gas:

Edited by PaulKing

Bad luck on the door damage Clarky. I feel it... can only imagine your white face when you haerd the crunch and opened the bag up...
Carved bass isn't it? At least a carved bass is proper fixable. It'll add chatacter...

So is this a carved bass?

I do a lot of busking so the louder the better for me, but I also need my bass to be fairly sturdy and to have a big, deep sound. What's the tone like?

Edit: Ack, sorry, I see you said it sounds deep. Lots of bass from it then?

Edited by thisnameistaken

Very sturdy, very big, very deep sound. I know they all say that, but I can compare this with a dozen other basses I've owned. It's louder than them all, and at least as loud as the carved bass I had.

I've always presumed it's ply. Actually I should check the top isn't solid.

Not quite! I got a bit excited when that 1950s Kay jazz special came up on eBay. Did you see / buy it? I was tempted... Then I've been playing a mates burns bass this week, cos I'm playing some covers at a wedding in a week or two. Strangely enjoying the experience. Girls bass.

canny believe your selling this Paul :rolleyes: K162's are cool and i'm gonna get one soon as they bring the price down. then again you do have a few too many Uprights ,
wish i had the cash, VERY, VERY cool Framus and it's worth way more than your asking i think.

For comparison. Doesn't sound much, but it's a bigger bass.
Doesn't fit inside a 3/4 gig bag which is very loose on the Kay.

............................................[b]Framus[/b]......[b]Kay[/b]

String Length....................41.5"..........41.5"

Front length.......................46".............44.5"

Upper bout width..............21.25"........20"

Lower bout width...............27.25".......26.25"

C bout height......................10"............9"

Waist ...................................15"............15"

Depth...................................8.75",,,,,,,,,7.5"

Edited by PaulKing

• 3 weeks later...

as the happy owner of a Framus contemporary to this one (although this is the oop market version :)) I just have to say they're a cracking bass - well built and very loud. I'm tempted to upgrade actually but I'm kind of attached to "Baby"....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update sample ... still got my holiday knees out, sorry.
i-Phone recording, hardly does it justice.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOdM2pvlZY8&list=UUrOlaBkAkN1yrRQLtUmRGxA&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOdM2pvlZY8&list=UUrOlaBkAkN1yrRQLtUmRGxA&index=1&feature=plcp[/url]

• 2 weeks later...