Why become a member? ×

Rattle and Drum

AlanJ

I get to Derby through work regularly and buy stuff from Rattle and Drum a fair bit - in fact I recently bought a rather nice used Telecaster thinline reissue there. I've always found them excellent.

Personally, so far as brands is concerned, I would suggest Mark Bass. None of the East Mids shops seem to stock them.

Hmm... that wouldn't be a blackburst G&L l2000 would it? I was going to buy it, spoke to a chap over the phone a few times and it looked like the neck had shifted but I wanted him to check it was "fixable". They said they didn't have time to do it so I passed on it. I was recently close to the store and wanted to check it out in person but it had sold.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1337885991' post='1667030']
Cool, just chuck me a message on here if you want to sort something out.

As Bert said, it's Polar Audio. :)
[/quote]

Cheers, we don't deal with them at present but I'm sure we could! :)

[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif][quote name='Rattle&Drum' timestamp='1337808709' post='1665940']
..lots of good things...
[/quote][/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi Matt! As I said above, I've been back to R&D a few times, and always been happy enough [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] :) I'll be back in again at some point soon enough I'm sure, although I realise I might now have to come in disguise [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] :ph34r:[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]On the subject of stocking GK, I saw that you had a preowned GK combo (700 rb II, 2x10 iirc?) when I was in last, but can't see it on your website. I had a bit of a play through that, and was surprised how good it was. It's definitely something I'd be happy to see more of - particularly if I could figure out what the controls did... [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I also bought one of those little Eden combos you used to stock (I had a[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] Nemesis N28 off you), and have been very pleased with that - I wondered why you weren't stocking them any more? Have they just stopped being made or something? [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]For anyone who doesn't know Rattle and Drum by the way, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dCV4ZmHX40"]this tells you all you need to know[/url] :lol:[/font][/size]

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1337911561' post='1667413']
Hmm... that wouldn't be a blackburst G&L l2000 would it? I was going to buy it, spoke to a chap over the phone a few times and it looked like the neck had shifted but I wanted him to check it was "fixable". They said they didn't have time to do it so I passed on it. I was recently close to the store and wanted to check it out in person but it had sold.
[/quote]

That's the one. I'm not aware of any shift in the neck, although I must admit I'm not too sure what I'd be looking for. The joint is very tight, and doesn't look like it's ever been messed with, and the neck looks exactly as I would expect it to looking down its length from the bridge. The action is very low indeed, which suits 99% of the playing that I do these days. There's a few buzzes when practising acoustically (like the section of the e-string between your fretting finger and the nut, which can rattle off the frets when playing at frets 5-8) but nothing that transmits through to the amp. I'm very happy indeed with it so far :)

Alan.

Edited by AlanJ

Really glad to hear you are happy with the bass Alan, I would be, I thought it was a cracker (once you've got to grips with the many controls)! :)

The GK combo that we had went pretty quickly, I didn't get much time to play around with it but I liked what I heard. Appreciate hearing you guys' thoughts, we'll definitely explore the possibility of stocking them.

Good to see our youtube channel getting some chuckles, we really need to get some more videos made, no shortage of ideas, just shortage of time! :)