Why become a member? ×

Covers bands "openers" what do you start with?

witterth

I keep seeing numbers in our set in here :D

We generally open first set with Rem , one I love , warbler likes it for warming up with .

second set often starts with Queen , tie your mother down ,that runs into stereophincs , local boy in a photograph

Our last lot usually started with "Lovely Day" (Bill Withers), then "Down Under"

Second set started with "I wish" with the "Sir Duke" riff tagged on the end.

I think they liked to make sure I was sober ;)

Dont do many covers gogs, but when we do, we find this works well....

Slow version of Baba O'riley!

Guitarist makes the keyboard part (sort of) and loops it
Then we all hit the big chords, four times round, big chords, big cymbals etc, then hold the F, guitarist reverses the loop, we hold it a bit, then drummer counts into.....

My Generation!

seems to work and it has a little bass bit in it :P

We start first set with a Proud Mary/Think/Kiss medley, then 2nd set with All Right Now, seems to work well. Last wedding we did there was a circle around a couple having a Tina Turner dance off on the dance floor, and that was the first song!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1337715833' post='1664512']
Best opener ever.....

Prime Mover by Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction, Brilliant!
[/quote]

It was unknown to me but having tubed it ,I like it , HOWEVER, on the links were tunes by steve stevens , Memory Crash , This stuff is new to me and I LOVE it , cheers dude a totally cool way to find a great groove

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1337721123' post='1664621']
We start first set with a Proud Mary/Think/Kiss medley, then 2nd set with All Right Now, seems to work well. Last wedding we did there was a circle around a couple having a Tina Turner dance off on the dance floor, and that was the first song!
[/quote]

that sounds cool - I'd like to be playing bass for that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Valerie - Amy Winehouse version works quite well for us, followed up by Smooth - Santana. I have to say most pubs we play in and private events want you to ease them into it. Just played in a pub right in the city of London and the venue wanted two sets of easing them into it! This lead to some jammed out shuffle version of all the small things, quite fun suprisingly

We start the first set with "Dreaming of You" - The Coral. This means I get to start and have my four seconds of glory.

Second set starts with "Whistle for the Choir" - The Fratellis. This means I'm free to sort out my drink, have a good scratch and hoist up my trousers while all the adoring girls make eyes at the guitarist/singer.