Why become a member? ×

What pick do you use

isteen

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1337799231' post='1665709']
I've used thumbpicks all my playing life. Dunlop M is my preference. Dead easy to play with!!
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give those a go

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337610261' post='1662696']
I find that the harder attack disappears once you add the guitars, especially if any of them are cleanish single coils.
[/quote]

Indeed, good call chief - and our singer/guitarist has just that.

Jim Dunlop Black 1mm for me

Tried loads but these have the right combination of flex and rigidity, Easy to grip, too.

I have a lovely, hand thrown bowl full of random picks, including a mixed bag 30 Rock School ones which I scooped up from Ebay (with a natty yellow holder) for just under £4.00. A few decent thickness Bass picks amongst them, but loads of thinner gauges for my cack handed guitar and Mandolin strummage.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339174334' post='1684966']
Anyone tried or purchased one of those plectrum cutters ? Theyre on ebay for £22. Any old bits of plastic laying about stick it in the machine and.. Presto..
[/quote]

Fine if you're happy to play with any old bit of plastic. Most of the people who've answered this thread have fairly specific requirements of shape, thickness, material and grip when it come to picks. There's more to a good pick than a roughly triangular piece of plastic.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1337791830' post='1665560']The Dunlop[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/big-stubby-nylon"] Big Stubby nylons [/url]are good too, they have an inlaid thumb shaped bit, to stop it flying off into the corner.
[/quote]

These - the 3mm for bass; Tortex .75 for guitar.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339174334' post='1684966']
Anyone tried or purchased one of those plectrum cutters ? Theyre on ebay for £22. Any old bits of plastic laying about stick it in the machine and.. Presto..
[/quote]
Yeah, I've got something like that, but it's more versatile, it will cut lots of different shapes. Not as expensive though. I believe they're called scissors...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339180771' post='1685082']
[/quote]
I was only kidding dude, having such an aversion to smilies really doesn't help me sometimes... I honestly didn't know those cutters did that, that actually does make them useful. Though not to me, unfortunately, I do love a gadget.

One of my favourite picks was a black Dunlop, I'm not sure how thick it was, 1mm I think, but it could have been slightly thicker. I had stuck a rubber foot from a TV on it for extra grip. This was 20 years ago, I loved that pick, I called it "Old Faithful" and used it exclusively for over a year. The chaps in the Guitar shop I worked in at the time took the p1.ss out of it but it was great. I used it until it was round and none or the edges showed around the foot anymore.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1339181271' post='1685099']

I was only kidding dude, having such an aversion to smilies really doesn't help me sometimes... I honestly didn't know those cutters
did that, that actually does make them useful.
Though not to me, unfortunately, I do love a
gadget.

No worries mate, made me chuckle also.. The missus has a thin plastic mat that she slices bread etc on... Yup theres loads of triangular holes in it..
[/quote]

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339182282' post='1685128']
[/quote]
Oh I know the sort, my wife has different coloured ones for different food stuffs... I don't think she'd be very happy with me if I did that! I can't imagine being able to make anything quite like a Big Stubby with a cutter. I have made my own picks, but they tend to be made from coins or washers. Washers are good actually because the hole makes good grip.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1339522252' post='1689888']
I've got it into my head that if I could make a 3mm Big Stubby out of aluminium, it would be the best pick in the world. It would feel and sound perfect and would last yonks....
[/quote]
... but your strings wouldn't last very long.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339536386' post='1690297']
... but your strings wouldn't last very long.
[/quote]
I don't think that would be a problem because of the way the Big Stubby is shaped. Especially if I get the edge smooth enough. I have a pick that I made from a 1mm thick (4cm diameter) washer and it's pretty good, the edge doesn't snag in any way. I don't like using it because the hole, while making it easier to grip, makes the rear part too light so the balance is wrong, and it's not thick enough. Which is a shame because it sounds lovely.

• 2 weeks later...