Why become a member? ×

Precision Virtuosos

4 Strings

The likes of Victor Wooten, Manring etc use bespoke basses, others, like Stanley, use basses we can all buy, albeit from the elite, top end.

There's something gratifying about a virtuoso player using (pretty much) standard basses.

We have virtuosos on;
Jazz (Jaco, Geddy, Miller etc);
Ric (well, Squire),
even (the dreadful in my opinion) Gibson EBO type (Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser - okay maybe not virtuoso but what a great sound he got from his!)

But what about the good ol' Precision?

Plenty of great Precision bass players, the recently lost Donald Dunn, Jamerson himself and countless others with fabulous feel and groove we envy but I can't think of any virtuoso players, apart from early Entwhistle.

Who plays solos on a Precision? Which virtuosos get their fluid hands around the long frets of a Precision?

[quote name='jdizzle' timestamp='1337421345' post='1659602'] Stephen 'Thundercat' Bruner likes to bust out a p on occasion. Saw him recently in London and it was very, very good. [media]http://youtu.be/jxhMI8Y3Pyg[/media] [/quote]

Good one, not come across him before. Great sound, flats? Sounds detuned too.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1337420847' post='1659592']
The man who really got me fired-up for bassplaying was Colin Hodgkinson, who I first saw with Back Door back in about '75.
Precision + solos + lead vocals.
[/quote]Hodgkinson is the man.

Paul Jackson, who played for Herbie Hancock, is quite swish, if not quite the lead player you're probably looking for.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1337421725' post='1659609'] [url="http://youtu.be/EaIZjqQHPAk"]http://youtu.be/EaIZjqQHPAk[/url] [/quote]

And that's the Precision sound! Very funky, great ad to go out and buy a P!

Was this his main instrument?

Certainly justifies pick playing, if it needed it.

My nomination for a master on the good ol' P bass would be Willie Weeks. I heard him soloing on a Donny Hathaway album ( somebody here may be able to produce details) and was absolutely blown away. This was virtuosity at its finest! Every time I hear Willie playing with whoever it is I'm always hugely impressed.

Another nomination would have to be Pino Palladino. His vistuosity is not in doubt.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1337423695' post='1659656']
Billy Sheehan?

Like his style or not, he really is a virtuoso player!

And his main bass was a Precision which toured the world with him for 20+ years
[/quote]

See, I didn't know that.

[attachment=108276:BillySheehansFenderPrecisionBass.jpg]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337425599' post='1659686']
See, I didn't know that.

[attachment=108276:BillySheehansFenderPrecisionBass.jpg]
[/quote]

Haha you learn something new everyday! (And I am a huge fanboy...)

In fact Billy just placed an order for a replica, 2nd of 10 to be made. Truely takes road worn to a new level!

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1337422867' post='1659639']
My nomination for a master on the good ol' P bass would be Willie Weeks. I heard him soloing on a Donny Hathaway album ( somebody here may be able to produce details) and was absolutely blown away. This was virtuosity at its finest! Every time I hear Willie playing with whoever it is I'm always hugely impressed.

[/quote]

Sounds like the solo on Voices Inside/everything is everything from the album Donny Hathaway Live. Great solo.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1337422867' post='1659639']
Another nomination would have to be Pino Palladino. His vistuosity is not in doubt.
[/quote]

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1337428248' post='1659756']
I'm surprised no one has said Pino Palladino yet!
[/quote]
:(

Although I'm unsure what 'vistuosity' is.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1337428438' post='1659760']
Sounds like the solo on Voices Inside/everything is everything from the album Donny Hathaway Live. Great solo.
[/quote]

That's the one. Thanks RR.