Why become a member? ×

Time wasters and window shoppers!!!

Evil Undead

Me personaly, Im a man of my word. If I agree to buy something I buy it. Classic example with buying pedals - arranged to buy one I wanted, then saw the same pedal offered at Crack Converters for exactly half the amount. Did I pull out of the BC deal to buy the one in CC and save meself money? Nope. Bought the one from a BC'er because as far as I was concerned, I'd entered a verbal agreement with a fellow BC'er and my word is my bond. Simple as.

I'm the same, if I agree a deal with someone, I follow it through. It's the sane whether I'm buying or selling.

I sold a Sweetsound Mojo Vibe to a guy in Portugal and the courier delivery ended up costing me £45 due to the buyer being in a remote location (that was around £25 more than I had expected). I never asked the buyer for extra on the delivery as we had already agreed the sale price

Im not saying that this is the case with your stuff, but I have before now bought stuff of Ebay etc , and then when i got there to pick it up, it wasnt anywhere near what was described, or the sellers had neglected to include pics of the various damaged bits/parts missing etc.

Occassionally Ive still gone ahead with the sale, but not always

[sup]Evil Undead,[/sup]
[sup]as someone already put, try and specify, 'no stupid offers, I'm not desperate etc, ' seems to work for me,[/sup]
[sup]hasn't stopped someone offering me 250 for my old PA that was up for 600, (which I got), he actually phoned me up and offered me 250. I laughed and asked, are you really taking the p*ss.[/sup]
[sup]He opologised and went away!![/sup]

[sup]Selling gear is a pain, I've sold 7 guitars in the past 6 weeks, in order to finance my new QSC PA and also I'm on a Sting/Police thing at the moment. (trying to collect/ make/ aquire the guitars used by The Police / Sting for my tribute band) and as such keep buying things for it, including A 1984 Steinberger XL2, A Bravewood '55 P Bass replica, Stagg EUB, 1983 Squire '62 P bass and I've even Andy Summerised by Telecaster custom, (please don't tell my Andy Summers, it's a surprise for our next gig).[/sup]
[sup]I've dealt with silly offers, but I stuck with it and have got everything I wanted, (in fact some of the guitars I sold fetched far more than I expected)[/sup]

I had one of these on here a couple of weeks ago. Not an expensive item as it happens, but why would you offer to buy, ask for Paypal details and then nothing? No response to PM's - nothing. Granted it could've been a genuine reason, but to hear nothing at all? I checked the 'buyer' out a few days later and he was online so I knew he was still around.

Ah well, live and learn.

Yep..not good, but if someone comes in with a totally insultiing offer, then you can be equally dismissive, and send them on their way.
They must have thought their offer was worth a punt as presumably you agreed a price...but yes, to them pull out is the bad form.

But you are seliing, not giving it away..
As with all these things, depends how much they want it, and depends how much you need to sell.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1337394892' post='1659375']
I experienced a fair bit of it earlier in the year when selling on here.

A pattern emerged that put me right off dealing with newbies.
[/quote]

talking of which .... am i the only person thinking that access to the sale forums should be ringfenced until you reach a specified number of posts?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1337413325' post='1659430']
talking of which .... am i the only person thinking that access to the sale forums should be ringfenced until you reach a specified number of posts?
[/quote]

Understand the sentiment..and I do think those forums should be for contributors but who is to say when a 'member' becomes a a contributor..??

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1337413325' post='1659430']
[/quote]

This one was covered pretty well a couple of months ago. Sadly I can't find the thread, but it's there somewhere. :(

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1337394892' post='1659375']
I experienced a fair bit of it earlier in the year when selling on here.

A pattern emerged that put me right off dealing with newbies.
[/quote]

I know where you're coming from on this one Gary, but everybody was a newbie once-upon-a-time.
I think that a lot of active basschatters initially join the forum in order to buy or sell and then stick around when they find out what a great place it is. But obviously if someone's not got any feedback the risk factor goes up.

I started a similar thread last year, I believe, after agreeing a sale for my Warwick Dolphin - "buyer" then posted a thread in the "wanted" thread asking what was available!! Unfortunately there's no way to police what happened to you - all you can do really is to block those people so that they can't contact you in future..I'm all in favour of "name and shame"..

What this will teach you is who are the sound people and who are timewasters..

Best of luck with the sales..

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1337420539' post='1659582']
I know where you're coming from on this one Gary, but everybody was a newbie once-upon-a-time.
I think that a lot of active basschatters initially join the forum in order to buy or sell and then stick around when they find out what a great place it is. But obviously if someone's not got any feedback the risk factor goes up.
[/quote]

that was my sentiment exactly "everybody was a newbie once" and so I treated them exactly as I would a long term regular BC'er and for my courtesy I was right royally mucked about a number of times.
I'm happy for people to make an enquiry and then maybe not respond further but when a price is agreed, directions are given and you stay in waiting for the buyer who then doesn't show :angry:.

Anyway such is life and fortunately the greater majority of the Bass Chat crew are splendid

I'm utterly despondent at the moment. The guy who is kindly holding an amp for me has given me two weeks, which in an ideal world would be plenty of time. But I just can't shift the items I'm selling, even at these ridiculously cheap prices!

They're on here, ebay, gumtree, the works, and nothing but a bunch of lowballs and no-show-ers.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1337428232' post='1659754']
That Warwick of yours is screaming out for me to buy it as it would suit my new bands image and sound perfectly, however the truss rod issue puts me off.
[/quote]

As explained in the listing, the neck hasn't budged in the two years that I've owned it. However, I understand why it could put folks off, which is why I've priced it so low. It really is priced to sell and is a wonderful bass.

Story of my life. Have run (owned) an art shop in Chelsea/Kensington last 16 years. Saturdays are the worst - sitting here now that's why it struck a chord. After a while, I quietly stand up and politely show them my favourite piece in the shop - my late 20th century door. Most get it, but there are some ........

DD

Perhaps taking a day off work to stay in to get it collected by courier to sell to a wider audience might have to be the way to go, despite your reticence to do so...

Things just aren't shifting, even at silly prices. I've been sitting on a spare rig for weeks now, got a local guy saying he will buy it at the end of the month, but that's dependent on someone buying something of his, yada yada etc.

Edited by neepheid

i had an issue this week so you have my sympathy. some guy on here spent several messages haggling over a price. then we had an agreement. then he backed out the very next day. it does seem some people have far too much time on their hands to play games. saying that, i've bought and sold plenty on this here lovely site with no problems. this was my first negative experience (ish).