Why become a member? ×

Help or advise required.

jbj

Hi All,
Would anybody be kind enough to point me in the right direction please? im looking for a bass tab for ZZ Tops "Just got back from baby`s" i realise its a slow blues shuffle but my lack of ability means i just cant get it :blush:
I have done all the usual tab sites and Google but to no avail, just wondering if some of you guys might have come across it, :mellow:
Finger crossed
Regards

John

If i have posted in the wrong section, please move it.

Edited by jbj

Ok, I might be teaching you to suck eggs here but I'll try to talk you through it.

You know it's a blues shuffle, so I'm assuming you know what 12 bar blues is. This is a slight variation on the most common pattern, in that it runs [font=courier new,courier,monospace]I / IV / I / I / IV / IV / I / I / V / IV / I / I.[/font] It's in C, so you're using the first, fourth and fifth notes of the scale - C, F and G. Now you'll notice that from C you've got a choice of whether to go to a higher or lower F and G. Billy opts for going lower during the body of the song and higher during the solo.

You can get by with playing the song just using these notes, but Billy throws in some passing notes to liven things up a little. For the first couple of minutes or so he's mostly just using single notes make the transitions - A# on the way to C and G, G going to down to F. He's occasionally sticking in chromatic runs in there - e.g. A#, B, C.

When it gets to the solo section it's chromatic all the way, with the addition that he's playing the first note of the chromatic run twice, making the previous example A#, A#, B, C.

Around 2:30 (and again about 15 seconds later) there's a little flourish. This goes something like C, A, C, A#, A, F, A#, A, F, D#.

The song is peppered with octaves where he's playing one of the triplet notes an octave higher, and the occasional bit where he's playing eighth notes on the root - you can stick these in wherever you fancy. Part of the beauty of blues is that it's quite easy to stick in your own choices. :)

Sorry if this is way to simplistic for you, but hopefully it'll help anyway.

Incidentally, Studybass.com is a good resource for learning, and covers all this kind of stuff.

Hi musky,

My ability is probably one step above useless so thanks for simplifying it for me, not sure about the chromatic sections butim sure I can transcribe the notes you have given me back to a tab that I'll be able to follow.
Thanks again for the explanation.

Regards

John