Why become a member? ×

Help me choose a colour!

TRBboy

Okay, so I'm about ready to order my new Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5, but I can't decide what finish to go for. This is going to be my "forever" bass (Iknow, I know... :D) so I want it to fit in wherever, whether it's with a rock band or the local soul choir I play with sometimes.

I should just mention that the Cherry Sunburst is a matt finish on an Ash body, and the Virgin White High Gloss is on an Alder body. My current KT5 is Alder, and seems to be lighter and have a more rounded, less aggressive tone than my Ash bodied Basic 4.

I am notoriously indecisive amongst my friends and family, and your input would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Just from an aesthetic point of view I like the contrast of the burst with maple. I often feel that solid colours tend to become a boring fast and that burst finishes always seem fresh and intersting. Tone wise you can always sort out any nuances you're fond of with the eq. Having said all this it's not my bass.

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top[/url]

If you scroll down to the Ken Taylor and click on gallery, there's a pic of a 4 string Virgin White, and a 5 string Cherry Sunburst with a maple board although it's got chrome hardware and a black headstock. It'll give you some idea though.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1337356176' post='1658792']
Just from an aesthetic point of view I like the contrast of the burst with maple. I often feel that solid colours tend to become a boring fast and that burst finishes always seem fresh and intersting. Tone wise you can always sort out any nuances you're fond of with the eq. Having said all this it's not my bass.
[/quote]

Not your bass but I am asking your opinion! :D I was dead set on cherry and maple for ages, but then some doubts started to creep in...... Would look good though I reckon!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1337356237' post='1658794']
[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top[/url]

If you scroll down to the Ken Taylor and click on gallery, there's a pic of a 4 string Virgin White, and a 5 string Cherry Sunburst with a maple board although it's got chrome hardware and a black headstock. It'll give you some idea though.
[/quote]I stick by my selection having now seen the two. The white is nice, but looks more like something you'd use on a video shoot rather than a forever bass. The cherryburst and maple gives me GAS.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1337361766' post='1658892']
I'd personally go with spalted maple, I absolutely love the look of spalted maple basses.

Dan
[/quote]

Come on Dan, play the game! :D

If I was going for a bling bling bass, I quite like the Imbuia one.... :gas:

[quote name='Matt_UK' timestamp='1337363495' post='1658914']
If there's the option, I'd go; white, matching headstock, maple fretboard, black hardware...mmmmmmm :gas:

But then I may just have to force you to sell it to me :D
[/quote]

Actually, I should've mentioned that the Virgin White High Gloss comes with a matching headstock as standard. Not sure about a maple board on that one personally, unless I could have white pickup covers and chrome hardware too and go for a proper pimp bass!

So happy for you right now dude :) I saw the cherry sunburst in PMT in Manchester, just the Basic but it was a beautiful bass, Really gorgeous finish. I voted for this with black hardware. Also the blueburst is to die for haha.

Are you having inlays?

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1337372054' post='1659079']
So happy for you right now dude :) I saw the cherry sunburst in PMT in Manchester, just the Basic but it was a beautiful bass, Really gorgeous finish. I voted for this with black hardware. Also the blueburst is to die for haha.

Are you having inlays?
[/quote]

Interesting, I've never seen one in the flesh but they look good in pics! I think that's about the only matt finish that attracts me at the moment. I want something quite bright as my other KT5 is black. If I just played in a metal band still, I would go violet burst with black hardware fo' sho'.

Not getting inlays, don't think it looks right on the Basic shape personally, and this is going to be stretching my budget anyway without extras!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1337373618' post='1659107']
Not getting inlays, don't think it looks right on the Basic shape personally, and this is going to be stretching my budget anyway without extras!
[/quote]
Fairplay. The redbursts do look stunning but to be fair most of their finishes do imo. Pics when she arrives fella

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1337374379' post='1659132']

Fairplay. The redbursts do look stunning but to be fair most of their finishes do imo. Pics when she arrives fella
[/quote]

Yep, I don't think they make any bad basses! It's gonna be a long 12 weeks wait once I decide, although I need someone to buy my Greenburst Basic 4 before I pay the balance! :D

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1337378492' post='1659220']
Cherry Sunburst with Maple neck for me. Get the white pearl inlays though. Its not gonna cost much extra and they look the business on the maple neck.
[/quote]

Can you remember how much extra they were? Do you think they would work on a Ken Taylor? I've been speaking to the guys from Session Music on your recommendation! How was your experience with them overall?