Why become a member? ×

Why do so many bass effects sound sooooo bad? (and by 'bad' I don't mean good)

basstech

There must be a total of 3 bass pedals that sound good to my ears - the rest sound .......well, crap - and yet I keep seeing 'em held in high esteem by some people.....(Big Muff springs to mind).....

Surely if you've got a good basic rig, a preamp, chorus and compressor that's all you need??

Am I missing something or is it just clever marketing by manufacturers?
:angry:

Think a lot of people over use the effect... too much effect. You only need a little. My pedal board is mostly based around synth sounds which work really well but you have to take time getting the balance between the effected signal and bass for it to really work.

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1337197720' post='1657105']
I've heard some real abortions recently - all involved 'bass synths'.
[/quote]

The trick is to have a high input gain (or a Status with 18v pre B)) to adequately drive the synth. This is where most people fall down and end up with bad tracking problems.

Looking at your signature, you've got more fx than me....
For I have none.
I still can't even find a suitable OD. The Ampeg SVP-Pro sounds nice, but the OD isn't switchable. And it softens the bass end of things too much,

Why does no-one make a tap-tempo chorus? Surely that'd get rid of the nasty out-of-time wobbles.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1337197908' post='1657110']
The trick is to have a high input gain (or a Status with 18v pre B)) to adequately drive the synth. This is where most people fall down and end up with bad tracking problems.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. My Streamline does sound better with effects than most.
My Vigier seems to ignore effects altogether. I reckon it's to do with the low impedance output of the (on-board) pre-amp.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1337198211' post='1657121']
Funny you should mention that. My Streamline does sound better with effects than most.
My Vigier seems to ignore effects altogether. I reckon it's to do with the low impedance output of the (on-board) pre-amp.
[/quote]

I had the same issue with my old Warwick Thumb.... didn't drive enough, just seem to hit a brick wall with it and no more push

I use LOTS of effects - This has been discussed so many times that I'm sure it will end up being the same discussion again. It really depends on what you look for in a sound - one man loves a certain fuzz sound and another man may hate it. The sounds you think are nasty may be sounds we love. But also it depends on the music you play. Many bassists don't need them and the music has little space for them. I don't use a clean bass sound anywhere in my set... horses for courses.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1337198060' post='1657115']
Why does no-one make a tap-tempo chorus? Surely that'd get rid of the nasty out-of-time wobbles.
[/quote]

Moog Cluster Flux

Alot of people dont realise fuzz / distortion / OD boxes were originally designed to push valve amps further into distortion - driving my VT Bass pedal with a Rat gives a growl like a huge distorted monster, but if I switch out the VT then the Rat by itsself gives a thin, weedy kind of sound.

Its a cascaded gain stage kinda thing.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1337199107' post='1657133']
I use LOTS of effects - This has been discussed so many times that I'm sure it will end up being the same discussion again. It really depends on what you look for in a sound - one man loves a certain fuzz sound and another man may hate it. The sounds you think are nasty may be sounds we love. But also it depends on the music you play. Many bassists don't need them and the music has little space for them. I don't use a clean bass sound anywhere in my set... horses for courses.
[/quote]

All of this.

Also, some gear, just isn't compatible with certain basses, amps, effects, or even playing styles! I've used some effects that I really love the sound of, but as soon as I got my hands on them it sounded like pure arse! :lol:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1337198060' post='1657115']
Looking at your signature, you've got more fx than me....
For I have none.
I still can't even find a suitable OD. The Ampeg SVP-Pro sounds nice, but the OD isn't switchable. And it softens the bass end of things too much,

[/quote] tried the caitlinbread sft?

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1337197172' post='1657090']
There must be a total of 3 bass pedals that sound good to my ears - the rest sound .......well, crap - and yet I keep seeing 'em held in high esteem by some people.....(Big Muff springs to mind).....

Surely if you've got a good basic rig, a preamp, chorus and compressor that's all you need??

[/quote]

[sigh]

It's a matter of subjective test and the music you're playing. Take away Justin Chancellors pedals and Tool won't sound like Tool anymore, he needs the sounds the pedals create to play the music that they play. You obviously don't think those kinds of sounds are good and don't play music that requires them. That's fine, for the vast majority of musical styles and bassists, bass > cable> amp is the sound they need and want. But please don't assume that you're right and those of us who use pedals are wrong. There is no right and wrong here, just subjective taste.

[/sigh over]

is this thread mainly about OD pedals? I've tried loads of different dirt boxes, most of which I've moved on because they just didn't float my boat. There are some instances where only an effect will do - fretless and an octaver, Jazz bass and envelope filter - it's all about context.

..and loads of effects. ;)

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1337197172' post='1657090']

[/quote]
What did you just say?! :angry:

Plus, bass synths sound cool. You're going to have to provide specific examples here, because the synths I've heard sound amazing.

Bass effects nearly always sound better in a band context. Especially fuzz!

Truckstop

edit: And it depends on how effective your rig is at reproducing the sound for you. Through earphones, the effects of my ME20 sound weak; playing live with my full rig on 11, they sound immense!

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337215563' post='1657370']
BDI-21... and always on the same setting. That's it. Whether you think it's an 'effect' or not, I don't know..?
[/quote]

Another example of a stomp box shaped tone device. Subtle but in combination with others is where the arts at. :)

Agreed. I found that with the Deep Impact it sounds great at home but in a band setting loses a bit of the bottom end but by using a Boss LS2 I just dial in some dry signal and hey preso great synth sound with plenty of bass.

Not having the problem with input signal it works just as well with my passive jazz as it does with the GB Rumour which has a really hot output.

Back to the OP there are loads of great pedals you just have to find the ones you like and more importantly where you can use them to make the song better or different.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1337197434' post='1657095']
Think a lot of people over use the effect... too much effect. You only need a little. My pedal board is mostly based around synth sounds which work really well but you have to take time getting the balance between the effected signal and bass for it to really work.

[/quote]

If you play in a trad rock, indie or similar type of band then you might find that a little chorus is the only effect needed (as any other effects might stop you sounding like a trad rock or indie band :P ).

If you're wanting your band to sound different or if you play another type of music (such as House, HipHop, Dubstep, Electro or Folk), then effects are a great starting point to tailor your band's sound.

I went for decades with just Bass > Amp, then @ 6 years ago I got a multi fx unit (a good starting point to find out what fx you'll use). Now have a small pedal board that gives me "My" sound. No synth pedals on it, but I can sound very synth like. :D

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/6711372259/"][/url]

Edited to tidy up the gobbledygook that appeared.

Edited by xgsjx