Why become a member? ×

TINITUS

A bit more info from splugz.co.uk with regard to musicians specifically:

[url="http://www.splugz.co.uk/musicians-earplugs/"]http://www.splugz.co...cians-earplugs/[/url]

FYI only, I stress again that I'm not associated with Splugz Ltd in any way. :)

Edit: Cheapest I've found is on the Bay, £7.99 free p+p:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/er20s-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-er-20s-ER20s-/221004063868?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item3374de647c#ht_760wt_954"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/er20s-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-er-20s-ER20s-/221004063868?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item3374de647c#ht_760wt_954[/url]

Edited by discreet

I started getting it about 10 years ago, not a whistling sound but a rushing sound, bit like holding a sea shell up to your ear, not from playing in a band but going to other peoples gigs, the sound is a lot louder front of house than on stage, started wearing ER 20's, and it slowly got better, and I hardly get it at all these days, guess I was lucky

edit, mind you I am a bit deaf these days, have trouble hearing conversations with other people when there's background noise

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337165762' post='1656389']
Not true. I got my ACS moulds done at David Ormerod. There should be one in all large Boots stores. Usually they are situated next to the opticians department.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. will get a look at weekend. Just done a quick search and there are no Boots David Ormerod stores locally to me or Glasgow area for that matter.
Someone mentioned specsavers so might give them a look next.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Earplugs are fabulous. I got mine with rehearsals and gigs in mind, but now they come in handy in a lot more situations -- snoring partner, cats being noisy in the night, open window noise at night, loud gigs, power tool, public transport.

When there's too much light, one can close one's eyes - who adapt to different levels anyway; no such with the ears. Now the earplugs are such a cool thing, wearing them compares to wearing shades for my eyesight reallz -- it's just so damn cool. Suddenly, I can actually feel comfortable in an ueber-noisy environment. I just love having them on my key ring.

I've had it since I was 12 - at least. Perhaps it was always there as I'd never noticed it start, although I suspect it may have been due to suffering from glue ear as a child and having grommets inserted (twice). I just watched the old Nationwide programme (anyone remember that?) and they had a short piece on it. I just thought to myself "My ears ring like that", and forgot all about it. It's just permanently dialled out - unless someone starts a conversation about tinnitus. :lol:

You don't need to be exposed to high noise levels to get it, as even moderate amounts of noise for long enough periods can damage your hearing and the effects are cumulative. I've clocked a fair old mileage riding motorbikes, and the killer isn't so much engine noise or exhaust noise but the wind noise, especially at high speeds.

Yep I've also got it bad...I think it goes with the territory really. ENT consultant told me its permanent and to get used to it. Interestingly, you can get a masking device that emits white noise at a very low level and if you use this for a while your brain gets used to listening out for that noise and doesn't listen out for the tinnitus....until you remember you've got it!

• 1 month later...

Yep, I've got tinnitus - both ears - resulting from too much careless clubbing and gigging when I was younger.

I don't get it particularly bad. For me, it's a high pitch whine around 14Khz. Most of the time I don't even notice it, but it's audible if I make a point of listening out for it (and much more so in a silent room).

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1341879328' post='1725687']
Yep, I've got tinnitus - both ears - resulting from too much careless clubbing and gigging when I was younger. I don't get it particularly bad. For me, it's a high pitch whine around 14Khz. Most of the time I don't even notice it, but it's audible if I make a point of listening out for it (and much more so in a silent room).[/quote]

It's never too late to start using earplugs.
Even if you have hearing damage, it's always worth preventing it from getting worse. :)

Edited by discreet

The hearing in my left ear was damaged by standing next to my jacked-up Trace rig back in the '80s However, the tinitus only came on since about '06 when I got a new car with a decent sound system. Listening to Rammstein etc at loud levels in a confined space definitely brought it on.

Yesterday, I gave a new Strat a good thrashing through the Bassman and the old ears where whislting away and the left one is still whistling away just now. I don't gig any longer but I do like thrashing the guitars every now and then.

What kind of earplugs are people using, as a matter of interest?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1341897876' post='1725715']
What kind of earplugs are people using, as a matter of interest?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176585-tinitus/page__view__findpost__p__1656370"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176585-tinitus/page__view__findpost__p__1656370[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341880630' post='1725691']
It's never too late to start using earplugs.
Even if you have hearing damage, it's always worth preventing it from getting worse. :)
[/quote]

I absolutely agree! I haven't bought any plugs yet, but I've promised myself to do so before I start attending gigs again (currently housebound with a one year-old to content with... could probably do with plugs for that too!).

I spend a lot of time mixing/producing using headphones in the evenings, so I make a point of keeping the levels low for that. Can't be too cautious.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1337159595' post='1656272']
I've had it for the best part of 30 years and as far as I'm concerned there is no fix so I just ignore it and get on with things. Most of the time I hardly notice that I have it.
[/quote]
Sounds familiar! I'm going down the in-ears route (and paying handsomely for it) in order to drastically reduce exposure, as I've found that omnce you have it, earplugs alone don't help much in that I can't hear [i]anything[/i]!

• 4 weeks later...

I got my ACS ER15s from Boots - handy, because they've plenty of branches for you to get the casts of your ears made. And cheap, there's a money off offer if you sign up for some scheme or other. I forget what, exactly, but it isn't anything problematic.

Guest McBass

I suffer from Menieres Disease, it's controlled by medication but is incureable. Tinitus is one of the symptoms, i really can't do loud noises.

Edited by McBass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337171936' post='1656542']
A bit more info from splugz.co.uk with regard to musicians specifically:

[url="http://www.splugz.co.uk/musicians-earplugs/"]http://www.splugz.co...cians-earplugs/[/url]

FYI only, I stress again that I'm not associated with Splugz Ltd in any way. :)

[/quote]

^ I've just ordered a pair of these. Reviews suggest they're good for the money and ideal for occasional giggers like me.

Edited by Skol303

[b]Do you suffer from Tinitus?[/b] Yes, for 20 years
[b]If so does this affect your playing?[/b] Yes, in that I have to wear earplugs otherwise the SPL gets painful. Applies to going to electric gigs as a punter too
[b]Are there any ways of easing the problem?[/b] No :(
[b]The 'Whistling' in my ears is driving me potty! [/b]Welcome to the club. There's no cure. :(

[quote name='deefer_dog' timestamp='1344503386' post='1765437']
Have had it all my life, so I'm used to it. Normally, it's a high pitched whine ( similar to when you switch on a CRT TV ) but sometimes it will drown out most sound for 5-10 seconds. I don't notice it 99.9% of the time though as it's been a lifelong thing.
[/quote]

I've also had it from since I can remember. Since a lad I struggled with ear infections and sinus trouble so always put it down to that. Got worse since joining a loud band so I got in-ears recently.

Incidentally it's worth getting checked out if the tinnitus comes on over a relatively short period of time. While the most common cause is loud things, there are a lot of reasons it may occur; even hard wax buildup can cause or exacerbate it.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1344430884' post='1764324']
^ I've just ordered a pair of these. Reviews suggest they're good for the money and ideal for occasional giggers like me.
[/quote]

A waste of money. Each ear canal is unique in shape therefore generic plugs, which suggests a one jacket fits all scenario,simply is not credible, even for occasional gigging. A short sharp exposure to the crack of a snare drum or a thunderous bass rig is all that is required to cause permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus. Once the damage is done thats it. There is no going back. nothing makes sense other than to invest in quality moulded plugs