Why become a member? ×

Rush UK Tour 2013

toneknob

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1339763676' post='1693918']
Although I'm starting to dig the new CD, rumours that they're touring with an orchestra are gathering pace, which is making me kind-of glad I'm giving it a miss this time around...
[/quote]

That sounds sh*te. I recall the one gig where an orchestra worked (Metallica, S&M). And even then, it would have been a better show without it, and it was a one off event in a venue designed for the acoustic perfection an orchestra needs. Can you imagine how bad a mix of orchestra and rock band would sound in one of the enormodomes that Rush tend to play these days?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1339958150' post='1696825']
Y'all know that there are some great young bands playing near you for a lot less money, right?
[/quote]

And why would going to see Rush next year stop me (or anyone else) from going to see other bands? I'm going to see plenty of other acts between now and next May (in fact, I'm going to see Dorje and The Drills tomorrow night - Phil X!!! Yay!!!).

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1339958242' post='1696828']
That sounds sh*te. I recall the one gig where an orchestra worked (Metallica, S&M). And even then, it would have been a better show without it, and it was a one off event in a venue designed for the acoustic perfection an orchestra needs. Can you imagine how bad a mix of orchestra and rock band would sound in one of the enormodomes that Rush tend to play these days?
[/quote]

Dream Theater's Score DVD with that orchestra was effin' amazing though!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339962733' post='1696950']
Dream Theater's Score DVD with that orchestra was effin' amazing though!
[/quote]

Dream Theater - automatic disqualification!

Steve Vai did a thing with an orchestra. But then his live shows always sound amazing and are small scale affairs. More pertinent might be the question of what the orchestra brings to the mix. I have never listened to a Rush song and thought it would be better with an orchestra sawing away for backing. Mind you, some songs on [i]Counterparts[/i] and [i]Test For Echo[/i] would have me reaching for the 'off' button.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1339958150' post='1696825']
Y'all know that there are some great young bands playing near you for a lot less money, right?
[/quote]

I go and see them too :)

Bought the Score CD. Listened once and took it back. Got my money back. I'm a big DT fan but that was sh*te !

Edited by paulconnolly

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1339963462' post='1696975']
Bought the Score CD. Listened once and took it back. Got my money back. I'm a big DT fan but that was sh*te !
[/quote]

Wow really? I actually think it was one of their best (if not THE best) DVDs!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339962651' post='1696948']
I heard a rumour that they might be playing Download Festival! :o
[/quote]

It would get me there, but Sweden Rock is supposed to be a European festival exclusive. Considering a trip over if the rest of the lineup is good, always wanted to go to Sweden.

Alex has confirmed that they intend to go out with an 8-10 strong string section on this tour.

Bleh.

FWIW, I think - apart from the playout of The Garden - my favourite moment on the record is the instrumental break on Caravan, when it drops back to bass, drums and guitar with no layers of overdubs.

Lovely, lovely sonic space. More of that, please.

I can't believe I'm on a Rush downer. I never thought that would happen.