Why become a member? ×

Rush UK Tour 2013

toneknob

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1337251700' post='1657757']
I genuinely don't think Rush (or indeed most major artists) have that much say over ticket prices. I can't even control prices at most of my gigs and there are a lot less middlemen involved in mine. As I mentioned, there is a whole business built around tours these days, with everyone from the promoter to the record company taking a cut. The alternative would be to not play at all - which would surely be more disappointing to 'the fans'. Ironically - given your comment about piracy - it is largely a lack of album sales that have caused many of these acts to switch to touring/merchandise as their major source of income, because for some reason people refuse to pay £7 for an album they can keep for ever, but will pay £77 for a 2-3 hour experience.
[/quote]

you might be right about rush not having a say in the ticket prices, but i'm not for one second having that any of their last 10 albums didn't turn a profit in terms of sales. Traditionally bands used to barely break even on tours (apart from the superstars), Rush aren't having to bump up prices to keep their earnings where they were, they're just being used as one big cash cow by themselves and the record company

I got in from work about 12.30 today & thought I'd have a look what was available now the tickets are on general sale. After being offered some pretty awful seats via a "Priority Early Booking" link last Tuesday I wasn't holding out much hope of getting any tickets at all.

I've now got two tickets in a far better position than anything that was offered to me earlier in the week & am pretty happy with them.

It made me wonder if the ticket agencies use these "Priority" booking things as a way of shifting the crap tickets they usually get left with by making people think that's all that is available.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.......

Ticketmaster had a couple of O2 Arena tickets, 5th row Block 101 (raked section) a couple of hours ago. Gone now of course. Ticketweb are selling the £200 "Tour Package" ticket, there's a Row C Block A3 ticket in there. Ticket sales, all a bit of a mystery really. Thing is, like album sales, remasters, etc etc there's no one making you buy.

My tip would be to wait a while and keep your eye on things like TicketMasters Facebook and Twitter feeds. Previously I've got extremely good tickets within days of the event when something like "production seats just released" (or similar) notifications are made.

its all about supply and demand i guess.
Remember it is a business that's being run.
Would we be any different if we were in their position - who knows ?

£65 a ticket for 3 hrs entertainment by one of the greatest rock bands ever i reckon i can afford that every other tour but not every time they come around.

Dave

I was a huge Rush fan....saw them in 1980 and they just blew me away. Saw them again last year (doing Moving Pictures again) in Glasgow and really wasn´t that impressed. Won't be going this time around sorry. Crap sound, way too much trickery and just not enough playing for me :(

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337182173' post='1656807']
All this makes me glad that by the time most bands have reached the level where they can play venues larger than Rock City here in Nottingham, the musical direction they have taken to get there means that I no longer have any interest in seeing them.

Too much money for the tickets. Too few venues being played. All the venues are horrible enormodromes. [b]And you have to sit in a seat.[/b]

No thank you.
[/quote]

Last time I saw Rush at Birmingham I paid for a seat and couldn't sit in and see the band. Why do they bother to put in comfortable seats and then everyone stands up.
Love the band but no way am I paying that much to not use the seat.

I will be there with bells on. Have not missed Rush since 1983 on any tour. At the moment we are very lucky because they have been touring every 2/3 years since the R30 tour in 2004. If you put 50p in a jar every week inbetween Rush tours you would get a top ticket, t shirt kebab and possibly a hand job inclusive. It's better than smoking fags or saving up for some ridiculous tatoo

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' timestamp='1337981896' post='1668454']
I will be there with bells on. Have not missed Rush since 1983 on any tour. At the moment we are very lucky because they have been touring every 2/3 years since the R30 tour in 2004. If you put 50p in a jar every week inbetween Rush tours you would get a top ticket, t shirt kebab and possibly a hand job inclusive. It's better than smoking fags or saving up for some ridiculous tatoo
[/quote]

I like your sense of perspective! B)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1339763887' post='1693928']
I saw Rush once. They came on after the awesome Primus. I lasted for about 30 seconds of quadrophonic, widdly widdly sh*te and then made a dash for the car park.

[b]Primus were fantastic though.[/b]
[/quote]
And not at all widdly widdly (I was there too :))

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1339763887' post='1693928']
I saw Rush once. They came on after the awesome Primus. I lasted for about 30 seconds of quadrophonic, widdly widdly sh*te and then made a dash for the car park.

Primus were fantastic though.
[/quote]

I saw them on this tour - IIRC Primus sounded awful (bad sound - the curse of the Support band) and Neil Peart missed a snare hit during the intro of 'force Ten). This was at Sheffield Arena about 20 years ago. I reckon Neil's improved somewhat since then ;)

Edited by paul_5

i am a huge rush fan also, the time machine concert was good at glasgow, but geddy lee now struggles to sing the old material, and to be honest he would be better off not doing it now. the price of tickets for the forth coming concerts in the uk are just over the top, it is just too much for most people, it,s not just the ticket price of course it is travelling , food ,drink, etc etc... it all adds up to a very expensive night. i for one will not be going, i just can not justify those kind of prices for a crap seat at the s.e.c.c., which sounds crap anyway, better off staying home and watching a rush dvd.