Why become a member? ×

Bass rigs-the bigger the better in my experience.

daveparker123

I get all the sound I need from my 38lb cab (it IS a 2x15, tho), don't miss my big rig at all. It's about the tones, and I has 'em.

I doubt you'd ever find a pic of my rig on any 15-year-old's wall, but then I'm not trying to impress 15-year-olds any more. :D

Size of the rig is irrelevant. It's how it sounds and whether or not it can be heard (nb: not whether it's loud enough, the ability to cut through is just as important) in a band situation.

I own a 1080w 2x4x10 beast that I need at least one extra person to help me per cab (96lbs each iirc) to move it and I also have a 500w 2x2x12 rig that I can literally carry in one trip with two basses (the head's in a laptop case, 1 cab in each hand and both basses in cases over my shoulders with the head). Both do a great job, I tend to use the smaller rig because it's so much easier, it sounds equally as good though.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341710217' post='1723137']
...the only reason i can see myself wanting a big rig is because they look cool, and the cabs tend to be cheaper...[/quote]

[i]Much [/i]cheaper if you've got GAS for Barefaced. Which I think almost everyone has.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1336974513' post='1653300']
I wonder how many of those rubbishing the experience of using a really big cab have actually owned and gigged one.
[/quote]
I've not owned an 8x10 but I've done the whole 'two 4x10s plus enormous kilowatt head' thing. My current rig of Shuttle 6.0 plus twin Nemesis 1x15s does everything I could want and more, and in total weighs about 30lbs less than just one of those old 4x10s.

I think we should remember that there's a place for all these rigs but ultimately a bit of theatre never harmed anyone's live show. Big cabs look cool as .... so if transport and stage space was no issue then I'd have a monster rig in a heartbeat. As it is I have reasonably tidy size rig that sounds great and does the job brilliantly but it still feels kinda sterile. Much rather have a dirty great big cab behind me with half a metric ton of valve head sitting on the top. Mind you my guitard uses a little combo so it'd look funny.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1341324917' post='1717036']
+1

If you're using PA & you only need a monitor, then what you have is solely for your own enjoyment/ego.
For general pub & club gigs with no PA for the bass, then most 2x10 rigs would be more than ample.
[/quote]

In theory true, but there's a wide variety of 2x10 combos out there and plenty (not all) would be stressed to buggery trying to keep up with what a 50w valve guitar amp can give out.

Also an 8x10 doesn't usually have a bigger 'footprint' than a 2x10 combo anyway, so unless you're playing somewhere with a dangerously low ceiling, the only issue is transportation. Been able to wheel mine out the van, into the venue and a couple of us lifting it onto a stage, is a lot less hassle for me than carrying a 2x10 combo about.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1342184612' post='1731058']
In theory true, but there's a wide variety of 2x10 combos out there and plenty (not all) would be stressed to buggery trying to keep up with what a 50w valve guitar amp can give out.

Also an 8x10 doesn't usually have a bigger 'footprint' than a 2x10 combo anyway, so unless you're playing somewhere with a dangerously low ceiling, the only issue is transportation. Been able to wheel mine out the van, into the venue and a couple of us lifting it onto a stage, is a lot less hassle for me than carrying a 2x10 combo about.
[/quote]

if you're putting the 2x10 on the horizontal, then the footprint is the same, but ideally you don't really want horizontal drivers if you don't have monitors or a PA.

I don't agree with you regarding the 2x10 being stressed against a 50w combo as most 2x10s these days are more than capable, but then it does depend on the guitar combo.
My 2x10 had no trouble against a Vox AC30, a 100w Marshall 1/2 stack & a shed building drummer.

I'm from the 'old skool' when it comes to bass rigs. My main rig, as a few of you already know is an SWR1500 paired with two Golly 4x10's and looks like this (gratuitous rig shot)
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/28c93481.jpg[/IMG]

However, until recently (i.e. yesterday :rolleyes: ) I have also been using an Orange Terror Bass into my 8 ohm Schroeder 21012-a-like which sounded wicked, was loud enough for most of the gigs I do, and was so portable as to mean only two trips to the car rather than the usual 5. When I re-speakered the Schroeder cabinet I opted for 8 ohms as at that time I could never have imagined using only one cab, so always had the intention of building a second one, but having used it on its own with the Terror Bass I wished I'd opted for a 4 ohm version.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1342193709' post='1731379']
I'm from the 'old skool' when it comes to bass rigs. My main rig, as a few of you already know is an SWR1500 paired with two Golly 4x10's and looks like this (gratuitous rig shot)

However, until recently (i.e. yesterday :rolleyes: ) I have also been using an Orange Terror Bass into my 8 ohm Schroeder 21012-a-like which sounded wicked, was loud enough for most of the gigs I do, and was so portable as to mean only two trips to the car rather than the usual 5. When I re-speakered the Schroeder cabinet I opted for 8 ohms as at that time I could never have imagined using only one cab, so always had the intention of building a second one, but having used it on its own with the Terror Bass I wished I'd opted for a 4 ohm version.
[/quote]

A couple of nice rigs there! :)

Having the 8 ohm version does have better resale potential (& the ability to add another if ever needed) & the 4 ohm wouldn't be moch louder than what you have.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1342201282' post='1731624']
Ha, I always go for the 4 ohm option, purely to prevent me from buying another cab. Because I know I would.
[/quote]

:lol:

There's always a way around that.....

2Ω head! :D

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1342202168' post='1731651']
:lol:

There's always a way around that.....

2Ω head! :D
[/quote]

That actually got me thinking. A lot of 700+ watt heads dont seem to be available with a 2ohm carrying capacity. Strange really. 2ohm = 16x10 = more than most will ever need.

Nice rig JPJ.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1342203168' post='1731692']
That actually got me thinking. A lot of 700+ watt heads dont seem to be available with a 2ohm carrying capacity. Strange really. 2ohm = 16x10 = more than most will ever need.
[/quote]

Stacked vertically? :rolleyes:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1342203501' post='1731703']
Stacked vertically? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:lol: If you like buddy.
On that note. The last time I saw Alice in Chains Mike had 2 8x10's stacked horizontally with 2 1x15's at the end. This whole stacking thing only works in venues up to a certain size. Ergo, FOH is probably more important than backline in any venue where you would need a rig with more than 1 8x10.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342204094' post='1731728']
There's a fair advantage in limited dispersion in some venues where the walls are reflective in the mids and stuff, they make for a reverby mess if you don't have some directional going on. Local bowling alley has bands and 4x12s sound much better than combos.
[/quote]

Can the band bring their own shoes? ;)