Why become a member? ×

Bass rigs-the bigger the better in my experience.

daveparker123

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1338914315' post='1681009']

i personally quite like the yellow/black scheme Markbass have going on. i'm not one who usually falls for aesthetics when buying bass gear but the black/yellow was what made me take notice the Markbass stuff. like a bold Lamborghini if you will.
[/quote]

I like it too! Someone once referred to my rig as 'the wasp'. I think with the amount of 'sting' you can get from the upper mid and treble presence it's a pretty good name :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1336974300' post='1653298']
This is the same forum where people like to spout off about guitarists who don't want to be parted from their Marshall half-stacks, right?

Am I the only one here to sense a touch of irony?
[/quote]

Hmmm, different beasts though aren't they. A 40w 1x12 valve guitar combo is easily loud enough for the majority of gigs, whereas a bass head and cab of similar spec just wouldn't compete.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1337024844' post='1654304']
However in those situations, I`ve always found that having the big-fridge rigs have enabled me to hear myself better than having the smaller rigs.
[/quote]

I think that's the key for me. My 8x10 sounds great, it's better than the 4x10 I had before it, and for whatever reason, better than when I've used two 4x10's, BUT the big thing is how much better I can hear my amp when I haven't just got speakers shooting the sound into my legs. Lifting up smaller cabs has never really worked for me, as everything I've tried has sounded so much better on the floor.

Having said that, big cabs are not particularly practical and if my band didn't have a van for it to live in, I'm pretty certain I'd make do with something smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt there are any fifteen year olds in history who put a poster of their favourite band on the wall because the bass player could "carry his rig with one hand"

Bigger definitely better if you want to bring the ROCK! It amazes me the amount of posts with people saying "I love my (insert amp/cab here) if I didn't have to carry it I would keep it"

Two things, when you bought it in the first place did you think it would get to the gig on its own and you wouldn't have to carry it? I get that digital amps have become more used over the last few years but what have bass players done for the last fifty years?

Why are we ditching our beloved amps for micro stacks? Easier is not necessarily better. What's next, micro drumkits?

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1341247550' post='1715720']
....Why are we ditching our beloved amps for micro stacks? Easier is not necessarily better. What's next, micro drumkits?....
[/quote]

You obviously haven't got to "that" age yet.

I've played with a name drummer who had a Remo A400 portable kit. It was horrible.

Ive tried and heard loads, and the only thing that was on the same level for tone AND power as my SVT5/610HLF partnership is Dood's old rig, which was an SVT2 and 2x Hartke 4.5XL's... Yep, the old heavy ones.

All IMO of course :)

If my amp sounded like ass I would definitely not have kept it for 3 years! I do love the sounds of Ampeg, Ashdown, Orange, and other weighty offerings... But when I've got an easier option which gives me more flexibility, reliability, and ease of transportation, to me, thats worth the extra dosh, and the accusation of being a bit of a sissy. Plus my main bass weighs 19lbs, which is more than double what most people would be willing to have on their shoulders for 2-3 hour sets!

At the risk of causing offence :) I gigged on Sat with my Hartke Kickback 10 just to see if I could (stack at the ready just in case) and used the DI into the PA (Yamaha Club with s112's and S118 bass bins) rather than my usual Ashdown 600 with two 15's . Firstly I could hear myself better than ever because the speakers were pointing at me and not the audience, more than enough detail to let me vary my fingering and tone more than usual. I could also hear the rest of the band better, Talking to the audience in the break about the sound the reaction was; "you're a bit louder than the other bands and the bass is immense."

I think the stack might be relegated to open air gigs from now on.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1341312124' post='1716670']
At the risk of causing offence :) I gigged on Sat with my Hartke Kickback 10 just to see if I could (stack at the ready just in case) and used the DI into the PA (Yamaha Club with s112's and S118 bass bins) rather than my usual Ashdown 600 with two 15's . Firstly I could hear myself better than ever because the speakers were pointing at me and not the audience, more than enough detail to let me vary my fingering and tone more than usual. I could also hear the rest of the band better, Talking to the audience in the break about the sound the reaction was; "you're a bit louder than the other bands and the bass is immense."

I think the stack might be relegated to open air gigs from now on.
[/quote]

+1

If you're using PA & you only need a monitor, then what you have is solely for your own enjoyment/ego.
For general pub & club gigs with no PA for the bass, then most 2x10 rigs would be more than ample.

Yep, many a pub band I`ve seen, where the bassist has been using a Markbass 210 combo, and the sound has been great.

For some reason though, I just can`t go to using a single 210 myself - has to be 410 minimum. Work that out, I can`t :unsure:

Adequacy issues ? :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1341344110' post='1717506']
Yep, many a pub band I`ve seen, where the bassist has been using a Markbass 210 combo, and the sound has been great.

For some reason though, I just can`t go to using a single 210 myself - has to be 410 minimum. Work that out, I can`t :unsure:
[/quote]

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1340297118' post='1702530']
Hmmm, different beasts though aren't they. A 40w 1x12 valve guitar combo is easily loud enough for the majority of gigs, whereas a bass head and cab of similar spec just wouldn't compete.
[/quote]

No, but I would hardly say you need an 8x10 to compete, either. A 2x10 combo is fine to compete against this sort of guitar amp. Works for me during practice.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1340297118' post='1702530']
[/quote]
Maybe it wouldn't, but my 300watt 1x12 combo competes easily.

I'm may well be repeating whats already been said, however..

I love my big Ashton rig, I love the sound and love the visual impact. Do I NEED it? No, not really, I've happily gigged with an 150w 1x15" Trace Elliot combo and would again if needed but I do love my 'big-rig' even if I do only play in a two peice at the min!