Why become a member? ×

Bass rigs-the bigger the better in my experience.

daveparker123

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1337154836' post='1656169']
with the amount of different cakes coming to this debate, we will need an 8x10 on its side to act as a cake table to fit em on! so they still have some use Lol.
[/quote]

...or perhaps on it's back so you could have your drinks shaken but not stirred. :) Either way, it's nice to be able to put it to some use after all. :ph34r:

Apologies for the thread resurrection - I rehearsed today with this rig: BDI-21/LM250 (pre)/W-Audio 1100W (power)/Barefaced Super Twelve. +++AWESOME+++ and totally seismic, does the classic rock thing to perfection and certainly gives an Ampeg rig a run for its money.

But... it's just not the same as using an Ampeg SVT CL & 8X10 (or two) though... I think mainly it's psychological. The sheer size of such a rig gives you an attitude and stance that you just don't get with the smaller rig. You address the situation differently! But the smaller rig has the advantage of size and weight - looking at it from the point of view that it easily fits in my VW Polo!

Conclusion: If you haul your own gear in a small car, get a Super Twelve. If you have a road crew and a tech, get an Ampeg rig. If you're well-adjusted, have no hangups and want to give your crew an easy time, get a Super Twelve... or maybe two... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337534086' post='1661536']
If you have a road crew and a tech, get an Ampeg rig.
[/quote]

Think main advantage is if you are touring and need to hire the same gear wherever you go, or are endorsed and need to sue that gear wherever you go, Ampeg has the broadest network.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337534310' post='1661540']
Think main advantage is if you are touring and need to hire the same gear wherever you go, or are endorsed and need to sue that gear wherever you go, Ampeg has the broadest network.
[/quote]

I'd go along with that. I can certainly recommend the S12 though, it really is very good indeed, and is a one-hand lift.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337534086' post='1661536']
Apologies for the thread resurrection - I rehearsed today with this rig: BDI-21/LM250 (pre)/W-Audio 1100W (power)/Barefaced Super Twelve. +++AWESOME+++ and totally seismic, does the classic rock thing to perfection and certainly gives an Ampeg rig a run for its money.

But... it's just not the same as using an Ampeg SVT CL & 8X10 (or two) though... I think mainly it's psychological. The sheer size of such a rig gives you an attitude and stance that you just don't get with the smaller rig. You address the situation differently! But the smaller rig has the advantage of size and weight - looking at it from the point of view that it easily fits in my VW Polo!

Conclusion: If you haul your own gear in a small car, get a Super Twelve. If you have a road crew and a tech, get an Ampeg rig. If you're well-adjusted, have no hangups and want to give your crew an easy time, get a Super Twelve... or maybe two... :D
[/quote]

I've played using a Sansamp into a Markbass F1, and Barefaced Super 12 T... I totally know what you mean! :D

And yeah, as amazing as that cabinet is, my dream rig is actually a modular Markbass 6x10 ;)

EDIT: which would just about fit into my Polo!

Edited by chrismuzz

Just bought a new rig with IMO is the best of both worlds (and yes i know i'm following the markbass crowd here) but a LM3 with the traveler 2x10 plus then the standard 1x15 that markbass make. (you could replace this with a 4x10 pick your poison ;) ) in short you can take just the LM3 plus the 2x10 to little round town gigs where and it will perform fine but then for the bigger stages add in the extra cab for more volume

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337535147' post='1661558']
my dream rig is actually a modular Markbass 6x10
[/quote]

i think thats what your pretty much talking about right?

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1337802354' post='1665782']
i think thats what your pretty much talking about right?
[/quote]

Yeah dude, a 6x10 made from my existing 4x10 with a 2x10 on top. can take the smaller cab to rehearsals etc :) one day it shall be mine!!

Ahh gotcha! I don't like mixing different sized speaker cabinets, changes the sound way too much! There is some sciencey thing to do with frequencies cancelling eachother out too but I fear i might be opening another can of worms if I go into it too much ;)

IMLE i prefer it to having a 6x10 i find that i can get a lot more rumble at lower frequencies without cranking the amp however
you do have to be very careful its v easy to fill the room with horrible subby bass noise

(this is from watching it being used as well as on stage fyi a mate of mines band supported ours so we just took the one rig)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337809923' post='1665971']
Ahh gotcha! I don't like mixing different sized speaker cabinets, changes the sound way too much! There is some sciencey thing to do with frequencies cancelling eachother out too but I fear i might be opening another can of worms if I go into it too much ;)
[/quote]
yeah it's to do with the phase of frequencies and superposition.
the same effect that makes us need to rotate food in the microwave.

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1337820350' post='1666099']
yeah it's to do with the phase of frequencies and superposition.
the same effect that makes us need to rotate food in the microwave.
[/quote]

I'm now imagining a venue as a giant microwave, with the audience as the food, and the sound waves trying to cook them :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337826437' post='1666105']
I'm now imagining a venue as a giant microwave, with the audience as the food, and the sound waves trying to cook them :D
[/quote]aye. this is why we all need two 8x10 cabinets on either side of the stage so they cook faster. get them to form a circle pit so they cook nice and evenly ^^

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1337829082' post='1666108']
aye. this is why we all need two 8x10 cabinets on either side of the stage so they cook faster. get them to form a circle pit so they cook nice and evenly ^^
[/quote]

Not forgetting to pierce film before cooking, take out after five minutes, stir, continue for remainder of cooking time - then rest for at least one minute. Audience should be piping hot before serving.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337849803' post='1666243']

Not forgetting to pierce film before cooking, take out after five minutes, stir, continue for remainder of cooking time - then rest for at least one minute. Audience should be piping hot before serving.
[/quote]

I played a gig at the Asylum in Birmingh last year, the audience really were piping hot, wowee! :gas: