Why become a member? ×

Bass rigs-the bigger the better in my experience.

daveparker123

lol didnt think of that! its pretty modern to me! i been using bosting old Ampeg and Trace cabs for years before this and its lightweight small with a massive sound so compared to the old beasts...... but i guess compared to these shoe boxed sized rigs for the dog n duck its not very modern is it. lol.

I've got rid of my Hughes and Kettner and now have an SR Technology Jam 300. Fits in the car, is as powerful as a lot of things 4 times the size and I don't get a hernia lugging it around.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1337096657' post='1655407']
thought i would bring my experience of big old 8x10s and newer smaller boxes to this conversation.

The OP is totally right in one respect, standing infront of your double 8x10 rig is the best thing in the world and your bass just sounds immence. i used to love it! great feeling. Also it doesnt have to be ear bleeding loud just caus its massive, its just ace feeling your sound coming from more than just your knees.

On the other hand, i have gone from 8x10 to a single Matamp 4x10 loaded with neo speakers which i have never used before this cab, and i can safely say i will never use a different setup again. Unless someone offers me another one to stick on top!! :).
The amount of sheer volume and punch you get from one little modern box is amazing and baffles me everytime i plug in.

In this day and age you dont NEED a big fridge as a half sized one will do the job and probably better for everybody.

But it still feels cool as fook doing it :)
[/quote]

That is an excellent post if I may say so. Pretty much encapsulates the entire debate. I've never personally lusted after a skyscraper stack any more than I lusted after an 8x12 Marshall stack when I was a guitarist. Aside from that though, I reckon you've captured it nicely.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337088748' post='1655177']
You shouldn't assume that.

I ran a 410 and 210 with a 500 watt amp and it made a great sound. It wasn't Markbass but I see no reason why those cabs shouldn't work well together.
[/quote]

Cool :) Did both cabs together sound like the 4x10 on its own? I really like my tone y'see :lol:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337090341' post='1655219']
Speaker watt ratings are meaningless. They fart much sooner.

Also need to consider the speakers aren't matched, because changing the impedance on a speaker changes all the other specs slightly. Best off with cabs that are the same. Pair of 2x10 is probably the ideal, I'd assume you use Markbass because its dinky and light to an extent, and that's the way to maximise the advantage, you get the whole vertical line of speakers thing.
[/quote]

Thanks again for the taking the time to add some input dude! I've considered vertically stacking 2x10s but it didn't quite have the same low end as one big 4x10. Probably not scientifically justifiable but that's just my experience! I like the weight of the 4x10 and the size is more than manageable... I just wanted a 2x10 for smaller jams and rehearsals, which I could stick ontop of the 4x10 at gigs so i'd have the same sound, but more headroom, and closer to my ears!

I guess I'll have to find someone who doesn't mine me borrowing, and caning their cab so I can try it out for myself!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337117906' post='1655913']
Cool :) Did both cabs together sound like the 4x10 on its own? I really like my tone y'see :lol:

Thanks again for the taking the time to add some input dude! I've considered vertically stacking 2x10s but it didn't quite have the same low end as one big 4x10. Probably not scientifically justifiable but that's just my experience! I like the weight of the 4x10 and the size is more than manageable... I just wanted a 2x10 for smaller jams and rehearsals, which I could stick ontop of the 4x10 at gigs so i'd have the same sound, but more headroom, and closer to my ears!

I guess I'll have to find someone who doesn't mine me borrowing, and caning their cab so I can try it out for myself!
[/quote]

No idea about the science but two 2x10s stacked vertically really do seem to do the job. I'd love to give two 2x15's a go.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1337120973' post='1655980']
No idea about the science but two 2x10s stacked vertically really do seem to do the job. I'd love to give two 2x15's a go.
[/quote]

Briefly looked into the science of the vertical stacking thing, as as far as sound displacement goes it's certainly a much better use of the speakers! 4x10s (or having any 10 inch speakers stacked horizontally) kind of makes the sound more directional, so if you move off axis you get a loss of tone. Still... when i'm in the range of the speakers it sounds better to my ears. And I play for ME! :P

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1337120973' post='1655980']
[/quote]

+1 Sounded brilliant with the Micro VR and 2x 210 cabs any time I've gigged it

Also, are we having juice or punch to go with the cake?

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337131464' post='1656052']
Surely coffee and cake is the only way??
[/quote]

Now you see this where the really big, heated arguments begin. It's tea with cake, not coffee as well you know.

:)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1337146635' post='1656078']
Now you see this where the really big, heated arguments begin. It's tea with cake, not coffee as well you know.
[/quote]

Surely it depends on the type of cake!

Victoria sponge has always come across as a cup of tea sort of cake to me... Whereas things like carrot cake, or ANYthing with chocolate in it have to go with coffee!

We could also extend this into the biscuit world! ... Like, have you ever dunked a rich tea into a cup of coffee? Ergh!!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337150041' post='1656108']
'tis chocolate orange cake (with bits of the segments), so surely coffee?
[/quote]

Undeniably!

Chocolate orange cake... wow... I must find this mystical and truly wonderful thing!

(What the hell happened to this thread? Wasn't it about bass somewhere along the line? :unsure:)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1337105573' post='1655605']

That is an excellent post if I may say so. Pretty much encapsulates the entire debate. I've never personally lusted after a skyscraper stack any more than I lusted after an 8x12 Marshall stack when I was a guitarist. Aside from that though, I reckon you've captured it nicely.
[/quote]

Thanks lefty, this was probably my first post that actually made any sense to anyone haha.

More importantly, with the amount of different cakes coming to this debate, we will need an 8x10 on its side to act as a cake table to fit em on! so they still have some use Lol.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1337154836' post='1656169']
Thanks lefty, this was probably my first post that actually made any sense to anyone haha.

More importantly, with the amount of different cakes coming to this debate, we will need an 8x10 on its side to act as a cake table to fit em on! so they still have some use Lol.
[/quote]

Should it now be changed to a cakex10? :yarr:

Sorry, coat gotten.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1337154836' post='1656169']
[/quote]

Now thats a tune we can all ruin by distastefully slapping all over!