Why become a member? ×

Bass rigs-the bigger the better in my experience.

daveparker123

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337014926' post='1654051']
Does the BDI 21 need a preamp? The sansamps don't tend to.
[/quote]

Probably not, but I use the pre and power amp sections on my amp after my signal has been Sansamped, even though I don't use the Sansamp to actually boost the levels at all.. and overkill or not, i like the results :D

I love BIG amps (look at my sig)
But, it totally depends on the gig for me.
I no longer have any roadies or a big gear van, so can't bring my new Mesa 8x10 around to many places (hence why I'm after a smaller cab to match the M-Pulse,so I'm covered for all occasions) but totally would if I could.

On the flipside, my Ampeg Micro VR and 2 210 cabs fit in the boot of my old VW golf and covered everything bar outdoor/open-air gigs. I did use PA support on 2 occasions with it, but that was the sound-tech's idea-it defiantely did not need it.
Some of the newer lightweight stuff does sound bloody huge too, like MarkBass Orancge Terror and GenzBenz etc

But nothing says badass rock n'roll like a big rig (SVT and 8x10/Marshall Stack etc)

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1337047901' post='1654610']
I love BIG amps (look at my sig)
But, it totally depends on the gig for me.
I no longer have any roadies or a big gear van, so can't bring my new Mesa 8x10 around to many places (hence why I'm after a smaller cab to match the M-Pulse,so I'm covered for all occasions) but totally would if I could.

On the flipside, my Ampeg Micro VR and 2 210 cabs fit in the boot of my old VW golf and covered everything bar outdoor/open-air gigs. I did use PA support on 2 occasions with it, but that was the sound-tech's idea-it defiantely did not need it.
Some of the newer lightweight stuff does sound bloody huge too, like MarkBass Orancge Terror and GenzBenz etc

But nothing says badass rock n'roll like a big rig (SVT and 8x10/Marshall Stack etc)
[/quote]

I agree! I do love the sound and the pure menacing look that a massive stack gives ;)

Still, can't wait to complete my ideal rig and have a full Markbass stack looming over me like a giant angry wasp of doom!

Big in size, bigger in sound.... But nice and light!

Edited by chrismuzz

I have the opposite opinion, i've had a lot of amp gear and the smaller and lighter they got the better they sounded, IMO and IME!

Here's the gear i owned ordered from worst to better sounding:

Heads:
Trace Elliot GP12-X > Ibanez Promethean > EBS Reidmar > Genz Benz STL9.0

Cabs:
Trace Elliot 1x15" + 2x10" > Fender Rumble 112 (x2) > Genz Benz STL-12T > Ibanez Promethean 1x10" (x2) > EBS Neo 112+110 > (waiting for a Barefaced Midget T but i'll bet it will belong here)

Appart from this gear i've tried a lot of the other stuff in numerous bass bashes (TC, Markbass, Epifani, Shroeder, Fender, Ampeg, Mesa, Warwick, Tecamp, Glockenklang, Walter Woods, AER, ...), appart from the really boutique stuff there's no other gear that delivers MY sound on stage like my current setup.
Every time i had to play with a big rig behind me MY SOUND lost definition and managed to flood the stage with too much lows... horses for courses!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337080973' post='1654981']
I have the opposite opinion, i've had a lot of amp gear and the smaller and lighter they got the better they sounded, IMO and IME!

Here's the gear i owned ordered from worst to better sounding:

Heads:
Trace Elliot GP12-X > Ibanez Promethean > EBS Reidmar > Genz Benz STL9.0

Cabs:
Trace Elliot 1x15" + 2x10" > Fender Rumble 112 (x2) > Genz Benz STL-12T > Ibanez Promethean 1x10" (x2) > EBS Neo 112+110 > (waiting for a Barefaced Midget T but i'll bet it will belong here)

Appart from this gear i've tried a lot of the other stuff in numerous bass bashes (TC, Markbass, Epifani, Shroeder, Fender, Ampeg, Mesa, Warwick, Tecamp, Glockenklang, Walter Woods, AER, ...), appart from the really boutique stuff there's no other gear that delivers MY sound on stage like my current setup.
Every time i had to play with a big rig behind me MY SOUND lost definition and managed to flood the stage with too much lows... horses for courses!
[/quote]

Sounds like you like the sound of your playing and your bass, so like transparency, rather than a bunch of mess to cover it up.

I run a Peavey firebass 700w head through 1 4x10 and 1 2x10 giving 4 ohms and it has never not been loud enough for any venue from big clubs to small pubs.
Prior to this it was Trace Elliot which was just constantly broken or blowing cabs or just never loud enough.
In the past, Marshall 400w valve head + 2x15, unreliable junk at its best
Ampeg 400w valve head, nice if you are in to distortion.

The peavey has been solid for what must be 10 years service now, talk about getting your moneys worth from a bass amp and the ability to set the input gain from overdrive to crisp funk is a dream come true.

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1337083855' post='1655069']
I run a Peavey firebass 700w head through 1 4x10 and 1 2x10 giving 4 ohms and it has never not been loud enough for any venue from big clubs to small pubs.
[/quote]

You are working to the limitations of the 2x10 by doing it that way, half the headroom of the 4x10 is wasted.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337084359' post='1655079']

You are working to the limitations of the 2x10 by doing it that way, half the headroom of the 4x10 is wasted.
[/quote]

I was thinking of getting an 8 ohm markbass 2x10 to pair with my 8 ohm 4x10, are you saying I would not actually be able to gain any extra headroom? Could I in fact lose some?

Cheers

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337084760' post='1655083']
I was thinking of getting an 8 ohm markbass 2x10 to pair with my 8 ohm 4x10, are you saying I would not actually be able to gain any extra headroom? Could I in fact lose some?

Cheers
[/quote]

With two 8 ohm cabs you would be splitting power evenly to them, then within the cab, the 2x10 will be dividing the power between two speakers, and the 4x10 between 4, so the 2x10 is going to hit its limit while the 4x10 is at half power. Plus the 4x10 will probably be drowning out the 2x10 farting out, so you have more breakage risk. Best is to get a 16ohm 2x10 with same speakers as the 4x10 you you effectively have a 6x10 and everything is spread evenly.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337085035' post='1655092']

With two 8 ohm cabs you would be splitting power evenly to them, then within the cab, the 2x10 will be dividing the power between two speakers, and the 4x10 between 4, so the 2x10 is going to hit its limit while the 4x10 is at half power. Plus the 4x10 will probably be drowning out the 2x10 farting out, so you have more breakage risk. Best is to get a 16ohm 2x10 with same speakers as the 4x10 you you effectively have a 6x10 and everything is spread evenly.
[/quote]

The 4x10 is spec'd as having 103dB sensitivity and 800w RMS, and the 2x10 says 101dB and 400w RMS. With my 500w head I won't be overloading the cabs, I just wondered if I would be able to achieve the same sound but louder than just the 4x10 on its own, or if id be paying a few hundred quid just to have more to carry?

I'f only Markbass made 16ohm cabs!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337085700' post='1655105']
....The 4x10 is spec'd as having 103dB sensitivity and 800w RMS, and the 2x10 says 101dB and 400w RMS. With my 500w head I won't be overloading the cabs, I just wondered if I would be able to achieve the same sound but louder than just the 4x10 on its own....
[/quote]

A 4 ohm 410 and an 8 ohm 210 will balance the power but only if your amp can drive 2 ohms.

6 speakers will give you some extra volume and tone over 4 speakers. You are right, you won't damage anything with your amp running a 210 and a 410.

[b]The 4x10 is spec'd as having 103dB sensitivity and 800w RMS[/b], and the 2x10 says 101dB and 400w RMS. With my 500w head I won't be overloading the cabs, I just wondered if I would be able to achieve the same sound but louder than just the 4x10 on its own, or if id be paying a few hundred quid just to have more to carry?

[/quote]

File under 'Marketing'.....

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337087555' post='1655148']
....So I'm assuming that an 8 ohm 4x10 and an 8 ohm 2x10 in one rig is a fruitless endeavour?....
[/quote]

You shouldn't assume that.

I ran a 410 and 210 with a 500 watt amp and it made a great sound. It wasn't Markbass but I see no reason why those cabs shouldn't work well together.

I love the sound of a Mesa 1516EV driven by an all tube head, but I also accept that all the comments above regarding technology-driven improvements in live sound are true. Bottom line is that we all do what we do for different reasons, and if one of those reasons is the sheer adrenaline rush of standing on stage with your trousers flapping, then get a decent big rig.

The first time I understood what 'bass' means was when the array I was idly standing next to at Notting Hill Carnival came to life. Visceral doesn't begin to describe it, and like standing at the very edge of a railway platform when a fast train comes through, I defy anyone to deny the sheer rush of the experience. However, the quality of one's hearing, of the live sound overall etc etc probably means such sound is a luxury for those with big stages, good sound guys, understanding roadies, and good ear defending technology. And i wish I had all of them :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337083766' post='1655067']
Sounds like you like the sound of your playing and your bass, so like transparency, rather than a bunch of mess to cover it up.
[/quote]

You're right! On top of that i also keep the amp, bass and whenever the room alouds the mixer's EQ flat, only balance knob and right hand controling the tone. I (wish i could) play everything from rock to funk to jazz...

The 4x10 is spec'd as having 103dB sensitivity and 800w RMS, and the 2x10 says 101dB and 400w RMS. With my 500w head I won't be overloading the cabs, I just wondered if I would be able to achieve the same sound but louder than just the 4x10 on its own, or if id be paying a few hundred quid just to have more to carry?

[/quote]

Speaker watt ratings are meaningless. They fart much sooner.

Also need to consider the speakers aren't matched, because changing the impedance on a speaker changes all the other specs slightly. Best off with cabs that are the same. Pair of 2x10 is probably the ideal, I'd assume you use Markbass because its dinky and light to an extent, and that's the way to maximise the advantage, you get the whole vertical line of speakers thing.

thought i would bring my experience of big old 8x10s and newer smaller boxes to this conversation.

The OP is totally right in one respect, standing infront of your double 8x10 rig is the best thing in the world and your bass just sounds immence. i used to love it! great feeling. Also it doesnt have to be ear bleeding loud just caus its massive, its just ace feeling your sound coming from more than just your knees.

On the other hand, i have gone from 8x10 to a single Matamp 4x10 loaded with neo speakers which i have never used before this cab, and i can safely say i will never use a different setup again. Unless someone offers me another one to stick on top!! :).
The amount of sheer volume and punch you get from one little modern box is amazing and baffles me everytime i plug in.

In this day and age you dont NEED a big fridge as a half sized one will do the job and probably better for everybody.

But it still feels cool as fook doing it :)