Why become a member? ×

What does everyone else use for turning pages when reading?

Dont say your fingers! :)

Some stuff Im reading at the moment covers a few pages per song (Queen, The bass guitar collection) and Im having trouble turning the pages in time! If its just 4 printed pages thats fine as my stand has two little prongs to flip up but once you need more than one floating page if you like its a faff trying to get just the one you want! So far I have dog eared the first page that needs turning a bit, surely there is a better way? Thanks.

Good point. What about post-it tags. Just stick them on the top corner of the page and it gives you something easy to grab on to.

[url="http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Products/Flags/"]http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Products/Flags/[/url]

Tip from my orchestral days: most pieces have at least one point per page where you have time to turn over. If you photocopy multiple copies then you can arrange them so that for example you start out opened at p1&p2, then when you turn the page you can see p2&p3, then p3&p4 etc. Mark the place on p2 where your turning opportunity is, then overleaf on the next copy of p2 mark the same place in highlighter so you can quickly catch up to where you are. Of course you can arrange this on 4 sheets p1,2,3&4, then p4,5,6&7 etc.
Works a treat.

Ta-Daaaaaa! Re-useable as well, for different scores. ;) I stick one at the end of the first page, the next beside it on the second page, etc., etc.,....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Reference-BOOKMARKS-Pack-8-Coloured-Page-Markers-/110566190468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19be422d84"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Reference-BOOKMARKS-Pack-8-Coloured-Page-Markers-/110566190468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19be422d84[/url]

There's a lot of stuff that can be got onto one sheet using repeats, first time/second time bars etc. Otherwise spread it all out onto a wide sheet of ply. If all that fails, nurdle around on an open string while you turn the page - with your fingers.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1336941174' post='1653088']
Ta-Daaaaaa! Re-useable as well, for different scores. ;) I stick one at the end of the first page, the next beside it on the second page, etc., etc.,....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Reference-BOOKMARKS-Pack-8-Coloured-Page-Markers-/110566190468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19be422d84"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19be422d84[/url]
[/quote]

Just ordered them, I just need to improve my reading now!

i gave up trying to turn pages due to never being able to do it quickly enough without missing notes - i now tape all the pages together and have a stand with extender arms that is good for scores of up to 6 pages - any more than that I would just lay it on the floor !! :-)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1336928560' post='1652865']
Here you go...

[url="http://www.pageflip.com/"]http://www.pageflip.com/[/url]

...quite cheap, too... :rolleyes:

(...but in reality, this is what younger sisters were invented for...)
[/quote]

Damn, I'm an only child! :D

Anyway, slightly off topic, best thing would be to be able to memorise each song and do away with the pages altogether - which I'm totally unable to do! I'm a reader through and through, whether it's notation, or simple chord charts, or even scribbled letters such as A, Bb etc. I [b]loathe[/b] tablature, though.
Does anyone agree with my pianist friend who believes that musicians are divided into readers and memorisers, and you're either one or the other, but very rarely both?

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337082572' post='1655028']
Does anyone agree with my pianist friend who believes that musicians are divided into readers and memorisers, and you're either one or the other, but very rarely both?
[/quote]

I want to disagree and say that I am both (but in reality i get distracted by shiny things and lose my place, i am better off memorising, which is why I can play every bloody song i've ever learned, but have difficulty remembering what day it is.) :)

I read happily for singing and piano, but not for bass... Weird... :-)

Anyway, slightly off topic, best thing would be to be able to memorise each song and do away with the pages altogether - which I'm totally unable to do! I'm a reader through and through, whether it's notation, or simple chord charts, or even scribbled letters such as A, Bb etc. I [b]loathe[/b] tablature, though.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, don't agree at all. Memorising a verse riff, and a chorus riff, and memorising "Verse, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, End" is fairly simple and would be a waste of paper to print it out.
Memorising the whole of the planets suite is nigh on impossible.

Saying that, my mother could not play without sheet music, and her favourite music was the beatles. Maybe its a piano thing. Maybe some people just need it as a reassurIng prop. In reality it's easier to play from music whether its full notation or just a chord chart as a memory jogger, but having bits of paper with notes is frowned upon when playing live in most bands. Of course there are the other gigs where you don't have chance to rehearse at all and being able to read is the difference between getting the job or not.

[/quote]

I tend to be a memoriser. My reading skills aren't fantastic but then I rarely play in situations where I need to exercise them so I have no real desire to improve them. If I am reading, like I do at some jazz fusion shows, I tend to just have a chord chart to hand which I'll use to follow the progression and I'll work off that.

As for the issue of turning pages, just get an iPad and turn pages with the sweep of a finger!