Why become a member? ×

RIP Donald Duck Dunn

ern500evo

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1336900866' post='1652396']

Duck signed my ticket after we had a chat about Fender necks (P v J) and how he missed playing with Al Jackson.

[/quote]

Had a really busy weekend so only just seen this really sad news. Buzzy, I met him with Cropper and Booker T (and Taj Mahal) at the end of the night one year at Bishopstock. Al Jackson Was the main topic of conversation for all of them an how it wasn't the same without him.

I have been thinking lately about all the guys who have been shuffiling from this mortal coil recently and was wondering who was next to go. This is truly a sad day for music and bass players in particular.

I`m off to play Melting pot to remember the man.

Jez

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1336907625' post='1652525']
He was taken from us too early, but if you had to choose an end this wouldn't be a bad one.
[/quote]
That.

[i]He[/i] made me want to play bass.

So I did.

My hero.... clear gone.

Rest in Peace, Duck.

Edited by mckendrick

What utterly crap news.

But Duck Dunn features regularly in our forums and has done for years. That must say something. The fact that so many of us see him as an influence and have continuously discussed the man and his music is the sort of obituary few of us will acheive.

Only found out at work about 2 hrs ago.... Absolutely gutted he's gone :( :(.

One of my all time favourite players - I lost count of the number of hours I spent learning his lines on all the Stax classics & The Blues Brothers stuff. I'm just glad I managed to see him play with the Blues Brothers Band when they toured in 1988 at the Hammersmith Odeon.

His playing with Booker T. & the MG's was part of my childhood - my parents used to put on the "A Soulful Christmas" album every Xmas. Total cheese, but I loved it & it brings back a lot of happy memories....

R.I.P. Duck - we will miss you.

I had a Soul Band rehearsal this afternoon, and just 5 minutes before leaving the house, clicked here and saw the news. It totally choked me up, and I've had to stand in band playing some of the best lines of all time with a big lump in my throat. Duck wasn't the best player to ever pick up a bass but by heck he was one of the best musicians and I'll be dammed how he came up with some of those parts.

I'm off to listen to Wilson Pickett's 99 and one Half as my send off to someone who changed my life. Thanks Duck for everything.

Ah, s***, that's so sad. He was the nearest thing I have to a bass 'hero'.

So lets honour his legacy. Raise a glass, get the old Stax tunes out and crank up the volume.

I guarantee you'll be grinning within a few minutes...

Good on yer, Duck.

Saw this on the news last night - what a downer after a great week of holiday.

Totally gutted that he's gone - one of my bass heros. Duck's work with the Blues Brothers got me into the whole Soul and R&B genre and I've been in love with it ever since.

RIP, Duck.