Why become a member? ×

Cabs with a GK 1001RBII

trent900

Hello chaps,

I'm scoping out some possibilities for a rig. First up, please can someone who knows about these things check the below reasoning:

The GK 1001RBII contains two amps: a woofer and a horn amp.
The GK 210RBH contains separate 10" and horn drivers (I think).
Therefore, I could run the 2x10" bit of a 210RBH in parallel with a 1x15", both at 8 ohm, giving me 700W total at 4 ohm through those 3 drivers.
The horn driver in the 210RBH could then be driven entirely seperately by the horn amp at 8 ohm, for another 50W.

Assuming that all works, and going by things that are reasonably available, does this rig make sense from aesthetic/sound aspects?:

GK 1001RBII
GK 210RBH
Epifani UL115

Any comments very much appreciated!

Jon

Yep, I agree with Mr Ferret.

I have a GK1001 head, and I used to have a 114RBH and 410RBH (awesome cabs).

I did for a time use the 410RBH on top of a Trace 1x15. I had the 210 connected to the amp using a GK 4-way speakon cable (this ensures the tweeter amp is used) and the Trace with a normal lead connected to the head. Coz its a normal 2-way lead the 50w section of the head isn't connected to this cab. It worked brill.

Now I still have the GK1001, but have Aguilar cabs. So I'm not using the tweeter amp, but works same as any other head/cab combination.

Ian

That's legend, thanks guys!

What ferret says is completely true, wedgey GK cabs don't look exactly easy to stack. The way I figured was that it'd be no harder putting it on top of a flat-top 15" than putting it on the floor - both the 15" top surface and the floor being flat surfaces (in an ideal world).

Ian, your second paragraph mentions a 410RBH then a 210 - which did you use with your 15"?

I'm gonna have to find a way to try all these combinations out...

PS. I know you've got a 1001, I'd rather like it to be mine :)

Just had a looksie on the interweb and they are wedgie but should stack OK on end. The will align all the drivers vertically that should sound better according to the speaker nerds. Something to do with comb filtering with the rigs that bass players have used since the beginning of time. This means that your rig can sound loud or quiet depending on where you are standing in relation to the cabs. Stacking the drivers vertically eliminates this and also brings the cabs closer to ear level for better hearing of.