Why become a member? ×

Precision - Legit?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1336585527' post='1648033']

[color=#0000ff]My original reply to this thread was made with the intention [/color][color="#0000ff"]to notify the OP of the probable dubious nature of the bass in question but looking a little deeper I seem to have opened a can of worms.[/color]
[/quote]
Lol. This is brilliant and it's free. Thank you basschat.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1336585885' post='1648043']
So It's the serial numbers you have a problem with not the Fender logo?

[color=#0000ff]Not my problem, I'm not buying from him.[/color]

So it's okay for discreet to buy a bass wanting a Fender logo but not an ebay chappy who wants a squier with a Fender logo?

[color=#0000ff]Yep it's fine.[/color]

He's not doping anyone. He says in the advert they are not Fenders. Going on his feed back he buys a lot of Squiers if he's not flipping them on with fender logos is he collecting them? .

[color=#0000ff]If you don't believe he's 'doping' anyone you'd make a perfect customer for him[/color] :lol:

I have bought one guitar online. Pretty sure it wasn't the one thomann had pictured. Have another ready to buy. I hope it's not the one photographed. They've had it for a few years if it was. Someone on a forum commented on the squinty sticker in the sound hole around 2008 :lol:

[color=#0000ff]He's not a shop selling hundreds of the same model, but perhaps he's aspiring to[/color]? :P
[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1336585110' post='1648017']
I don't care what he's doing with these Squiers per se but he isn't exactly squeaky clean folks ... I've spotted a bit of nefarious selling/buying activity - namely a size 10 lady with a penchant for spray tan and hair extensions who likes to buy Squire basses off him every now and then (two in one day once) and leave glowing feedback....

... Maybe she puts Squier decals on them and sells them back to ebay. :D
[/quote]
Ahh , the penny has dropped I see what you are saying now. Now that is naughty.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1336595800' post='1648259']
Nothing major. But the Fuzzy-Wuzzy or what ever it is that seems to buy all the gear on this thread is most likely a shiller going too high.

But in that thread certain members think shilling is no harm no foul.
[/quote]

Ah. You had me scratching my napper there too. ;)

"Fuzzy-Wuzzy". :lol:

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1336597706' post='1648334']
Shilling is were the Seller uses another ID or a mate to push the price up by putting a few bids of their own in .

Sometimes they get greedy and end up winning their own item by being too greedy.
[/quote]

Then the genuine bidder gets offered a second chance at their highest bid rather than the potential bargain they would have had if no one else had interfered. It's totally ruined ebay... but ebay doesn't care because they get commission on the final sale.

Edited by Ou7shined

Isn't this fraud?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Precision-Bass-Guitar-/180878713697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a1d362361#ht_2325wt_1312"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Precision-Bass-Guitar-/180878713697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a1d362361#ht_2325wt_1312[/url]

If I bought a Matalan suit & tarted it up with labels saying Emporio Armani & advertised it as an Emporio Armani Armani Exchange suit, I'm defrauding someone. Even if I'm not making much money, it's still lying to the purchaser.

The bass could then be sold to some unsuspecting person as a genuine Fender (even though it isn't) & then when they go to sell it, end up in trouble for trying to sell it as something it isn't.

I don't agree with this practise.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1336600375' post='1648393']
But this is taking the matalan suit putting armani labels on it and selling it as a Matalan suit.

Maybe not 100% ethical but he's not the one calling it something it's not.
[/quote]

Okay, Armani Matalan suits. :yarr:

But he's put Fender on the Headstock, surely that is calling it something it is not?
How can we be sure they're even Squires?

Would these breach eBay's copyright or replica rules? It is a bit of a strange one, he is being [i]up front[/i] enough. He is also fully aware that a majority of folks just want something that looks like a Fender, how 'wrong' this is, is entirely subjective. The problem comes, as people have already said, when it is sold on... as a Fender. If you can't sell something that looks like a Rickenbacker, even though you never even use the word to describe it, I can't see how this act is so different?

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1336602707' post='1648430']
Would these breach eBay's copyright or replica rules? It is a bit of a strange one, he is being [i]up front[/i] enough. He is also fully aware that a majority of folks just want something that looks like a Fender, how 'wrong' this is, is entirely subjective. The problem comes, as people have already said, when it is sold on... as a Fender. If you can't sell something that looks like a Rickenbacker, even though you never even use the word to describe it, I can't see how this act is so different?
[/quote]
But squier basses are fender budget productions to the best of my knowledge there is no Ricky budget equivalent. If someone stuck a fender decal on a westone or a vintage or some other non fender related product I think that might be considered naughty, but fender logos on squier guitars is alright in my book.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1336579095' post='1647868']
I would be very surprised if a single contributor to this sight hasnt at some stage owned a decal job squier. It's widely accepted as the norm. It clearly says squier in the title I really don't see what's the problem is. He is selling a squier guitar and he says it's a squier. What more can he do.
[/quote]

Picking up on the implication that we're somehow all at it (the accepted norm?) - I have only ever applied logos to two basses. One was a Hagstrom that I was restoring - it was a genuine Hagstrom and so I put a Hagstrom logo on it. The other was a Squier Precision. I modded it up and I wanted to have a laugh so I had a Fecker Imprecision Bass logo made in the late 70s style and applied that. I interpret the phrase "decal job squier" to mean one with a Fender logo applied to it and therefore I reject your hypothesis. I have never misrepresented the origins of a bass into something that could be used fraudulently at a later stage and I never will. I fundamentally disagree with the practice.

If you want a Fender, if you need to have that "prestige", then buy a bloody Fender. If you can't afford a Fender, then save up your pennies. But passing off a Squier (or whatever) as a Fender (which is what you're doing, regardless of whether or not you're upfront about it) isn't the way forward. In my humble opinion, of course.

Seems to be mostly a Fender problem. Should have used MOP inlays in black headstocks ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1336646844' post='1648797']

Picking up on the implication that we're somehow all at it (the accepted norm?) - I have only ever applied logos to two basses. One was a Hagstrom that I was restoring - it was a genuine Hagstrom and so I put a Hagstrom logo on it. The other was a Squier Precision. I modded it up and I wanted to have a laugh so I had a Fecker Imprecision Bass logo made in the late 70s style and applied that. I interpret the phrase "decal job squier" to mean one with a Fender logo applied to it and therefore I reject your hypothesis. I have never misrepresented the origins of a bass into something that could be used fraudulently at a later stage and I never will. I fundamentally disagree with the practice.

If you want a Fender, if you need to have that "prestige", then buy a bloody Fender. If you can't afford a Fender, then save up your pennies. But passing off a Squier (or whatever) as a Fender (which is what you're doing, regardless of whether or not you're upfront about it) isn't the way forward. In my humble opinion, of course.

Seems to be mostly a Fender problem. Should have used MOP inlays in black headstocks ;)
[/quote]
You are going straight to heaven buddy and when you get there Leo himself will present you with a guitar whittled from Jacos heavenly sh1t and strung from Phil lynotts Afro, but until that day you're just some dude I disagree with who owns a fender. Wow.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1336650432' post='1648867']
You are going straight to heaven buddy and when you get there Leo himself will present you with a guitar whittled from Jacos heavenly sh1t and strung from Phil lynotts Afro, but until that day you're just some dude I disagree with who owns a fender. Wow.
[/quote]

I don't own a Fender. If you don't count Squiers as Fenders (as people who choose to disguise them obviously don't) then I have never owned a Fender. So get off your high horse and stop being a dick.

You're the one whos on the high horse buddy. Quoting me insinuating that I'm somehow inferior, and suggesting I save my pennies. I'm not being a dick. If you don't own a fender then why do you even give a crap. I think you're out of line. I think you should apologise for calling me a dick. I think you are very mean.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1336651721' post='1648897']
You're the one whos on the high horse buddy. Quoting me insinuating that I'm somehow inferior, and suggesting I save my pennies. I'm not being a dick. If you don't own a fender then why do you even give a crap. I think you're out of line. I think you should apologise for calling me a dick. I think you are very mean.
[/quote]
Shouldn't you be at school?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1336651721' post='1648897']
[/quote]

Hang on man. Neepheid (a self confessed Gibson addict) was simply responding to your claim that most of us have had a Fender badged Squier at some point and that it is accepted as normal practice.
To be fair this is a pretty wild assumption, if only for the following reasons... firstly it's not true :) ... and secondly because contrary to what some would have us believe, a vast amount of bass players don't even care about Fenders, let alone be so indoctrinated into the cult as to have to fake one up so "our public" thinks we are playing one when we are not.

Chili-chill-chill :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1336658928' post='1649055']

Hang on man. Neepheid (a self confessed Gibson addict) was simply responding to your claim that most of us have had a Fender badged Squier at some point and that it is accepted as normal practice.
To be fair this is a pretty wild assumption, if only for the following reasons... firstly it's not true :) ... and secondly because contrary to what some would have us believe, a vast amount of bass players don't even care about Fenders, let alone be so indoctrinated into the cult as to have to fake one up so "our public" thinks we are playing one when we are not.

Chili-chill-chill :)
[/quote]
You have a very calming affect outshined. Trust me I'm chilled. Everything I wrote was a bit tongue in cheek.

Obviously not everyone has owned a decal modded squier. But it is commonplace and I honestly think that it is not a big deal. I am amazed that people think it is. I do think calling me a "dick" for having a bit of banter is a bit strong. Nonetheless if that's how people want to conduct themselves that's their choice.

So no problem here mate thank you for pointing this out to me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1336650836' post='1648879']
I don't own a Fender. If you don't count Squiers as Fenders (as people who choose to disguise them obviously don't) then I have never owned a Fender. So get off your high horse and stop being a dick.
[/quote]
Matt, stop calling people dicks. :P

Are we cool everyone? B)

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336641132' post='1648678']
the string tee is the best guide, a fender is twenty past two from the second tee
[/quote]

I'm still trying to work out what this means. :D

Edited by Ou7shined